collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Forge10
[Today at 12:27:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:27:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Chris Harte
[Today at 12:27:04 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:26:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Forge10
[Today at 12:26:01 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:24:46 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:24:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Risso
[Today at 12:21:59 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280191 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #2865 on: December 21, 2023, 03:43:51 PM »
All I can say is that I've seen dozens of professional designers on Twitter and other places saying how shit it is from a design point of view, so my opinion doesn't come into it.

My daughter was walking past and I asked her what she thought it said. She shrugged and said HU something with some sort of lorry design underneath. It's a mess.

That's still personal opinions, not them breaking fundamentals of design.

Let me explain the problem pablo has.

The image posted on here is not a graphic at all but rather a screenshot of an app/website using the graphic as part of the page. there are 3 elements on the page, the lion, the anniversary graphic and a countdown widget.

What they've then done is colour matched the background to the claret in the graphic, which makes it look seemless but does mean the text on the sides is cut. This will have been a choice they've made because none of the alternatives are that much better.

For me this is the most sensible thing to do because if this is, as I expect, an image from a phone app then by having only verticle 'splits' you reduce how much impact differences in screen size and resolution have on how it looks.

The alternatives would be to split it into more of less 'parts' but both come with issues.

Splitting it into more parts would means taking the text on the sides and making those separate elements pinned to the left and right edges of the 'screen'. The problem here is you lose control of how much space there is between those and the central elements and more importantly you create a risk of clashes with the countdown widget.

Going less means you put the lion into the image and let the text run all the way to the top but does nothing about the clashes with the countdown widget/cut off at the bottom.

A si say they've chosen to go with it this way because there's no simple solution here so the easiest option is to reuse the same graphic that is posted on twitter and accept it looks a bit janky.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2866 on: December 21, 2023, 03:45:51 PM »
Chimbonda must be on good money.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2867 on: December 21, 2023, 03:47:03 PM »
That looks like a supermarket brand box of After Eight.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #2868 on: December 21, 2023, 03:47:27 PM »
So, one of you is looking at it from a graphics design point of view and the other is looking at it from a web layout point of view?

No wonder you don't agree and probably never will!

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #2869 on: December 21, 2023, 03:48:08 PM »
Everyone should have to use this font. It's lovely and nice.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2870 on: December 21, 2023, 03:51:30 PM »
So, one of you is looking at it from a graphics design point of view and the other is looking at it from a web layout point of view?

I am now, but before I was just trying to get him to take a step back and stop focusing on technical details.

I'm not saying his opinion is wrong but rather that his blunt refusal to accept they'd chosen for it to be like that was.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #2871 on: December 21, 2023, 03:56:47 PM »
All I can say is that I've seen dozens of professional designers on Twitter and other places saying how shit it is from a design point of view, so my opinion doesn't come into it.

My daughter was walking past and I asked her what she thought it said. She shrugged and said HU something with some sort of lorry design underneath. It's a mess.

That's still personal opinions, not them breaking fundamentals of design.

Let me explain the problem pablo has.

The image posted on here is not a graphic at all but rather a screenshot of an app/website using the graphic as part of the page. there are 3 elements on the page, the lion, the anniversary graphic and a countdown widget.

What they've then done is colour matched the background to the claret in the graphic, which makes it look seemless but does mean the text on the sides is cut. This will have been a choice they've made because none of the alternatives are that much better.

For me this is the most sensible thing to do because if this is, as I expect, an image from a phone app then by having only verticle 'splits' you reduce how much impact differences in screen size and resolution have on how it looks.

The alternatives would be to split it into more of less 'parts' but both come with issues.

Splitting it into more parts would means taking the text on the sides and making those separate elements pinned to the left and right edges of the 'screen'. The problem here is you lose control of how much space there is between those and the central elements and more importantly you create a risk of clashes with the countdown widget.

Going less means you put the lion into the image and let the text run all the way to the top but does nothing about the clashes with the countdown widget/cut off at the bottom.

A si say they've chosen to go with it this way because there's no simple solution here so the easiest option is to reuse the same graphic that is posted on twitter and accept it looks a bit janky.

Yes, I know the way it is built.

I have created them more times than I care to remember, with multiple graphics, for multiple campaigns, for multiple companies...

The easy solution for this error, & it is an error, is to make both texts slightly smaller so it all fits on without cropping at the top & bottom, move the left text over to the right a little & the right text over to the left a little, so that both elements of text frame the 150 graphic.

These sorts of problems are what I have worked on for decades.

If it is "janky", it is an error.

If someone chose to release "janky" work like that in that state where I have worked, they would be demoted to photo cropping before I could finish saying how to fix it. And if you think that its ok for Villa to "choose" to release "janky" work, then there is nothing more for us to discuss.

However, it could be fixed in literal minutes.

Make those amends I mention & re upload the image to the server & when refreshed, the new image will appear, fixed & "un-janky"...

I am tired of arguing with you though.

Its like head-butting a brick wall, only more painful & less productive.

Your comment about "not disagreeing but pointing out the choice" is right up there with Hecks "41 year anniversary" bullshit.

And while I recognise that you have an inane desire to be "right" about everything & have the last word, you are absolutely & 100% wrong on this issue.

Last word.

I am looking at it from both.

Along with an emailer standpoint, a catalogue app standpoint, a print standpoint, etc...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 06:12:07 PM by pablo_picasso »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2872 on: December 21, 2023, 04:03:04 PM »
My job is boring too.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2873 on: December 21, 2023, 04:04:48 PM »
It's still them making a choice to accept it, how are you finding that so difficult to accept?

Changing the size of the text could be a solution but isn't perfect and would be subjective not the obvious solution you suggest.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #2874 on: December 21, 2023, 04:10:15 PM »
My job is boring too.

Not as boring as mine.

Or this thread.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #2875 on: December 21, 2023, 04:18:08 PM »
My job is boring too.

Not as boring as mine.

Or this thread.

I was supposed to be leave but had to work because someone else fucked up, I'm bored and annoyed which is a bad combo. Made worse by the fact that I fixed the problem by lunch and have just been waiting for testing since. So stuck at desk with nothing to do, on a cancelled day off.

Offline HolteL4

« Reply #2876 on: December 21, 2023, 06:00:12 PM »
Maybe we should just be grateful.

To be fair that's actually better than the monstrosity Heck has had made, you can read what it says for a start.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #2877 on: December 22, 2023, 12:25:55 AM »
Sorry to go off topic slightly, but I get posts appear on Facebook off some 'football memories" group and today was the below one of Bruce Rioch (which I found later online):

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sca_esv=592965078&sxsrf=AM9HkKkaGuvgmcG6LJybPdiy0YDiaA_kiA:1703205065196&q=bruce+rioch+aston+villa&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjizo-n5aGDAxX1TEEAHWxaD_YQ0pQJegQICBAB&biw=384&bih=700&dpr=2.81#imgrc=7HGxQoxd-MkopM

I've never seen a picture of that yellow kit with that badge before, only with the lion with AV underneath.  When was it from and was it a third kit?  Really like it though!!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 12:32:32 AM by tomd2103 »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2878 on: December 22, 2023, 12:36:55 AM »
Sorry to go off topic slightly, but I get posts appear on Facebook off some 'football memories" group and today was the below one of Bruce Rioch (which I found later online):

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sca_esv=592965078&sxsrf=AM9HkKkaGuvgmcG6LJybPdiy0YDiaA_kiA:1703205065196&q=bruce+rioch+aston+villa&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjizo-n5aGDAxX1TEEAHWxaD_YQ0pQJegQICBAB&biw=384&bih=700&dpr=2.81#imgrc=7HGxQoxd-MkopM

I've never seen a picture of that yellow kit with that badge before, only with the lion with AV underneath.  When was it from and was it a third kit?  Really like it though!!

That badge (I think) was first used in 1973-74 so it was one of the rare occasions when we played in the change kit that season before the King was sold.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #2879 on: December 22, 2023, 12:40:03 AM »

That badge (I think) was first used in 1973-74 so it was one of the rare occasions when we played in the change kit that season before the King was sold.

Cheers Dave.  I've only ever seen that kit with this badge before

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=villa+away+kit+70s&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiE-5ao5aGDAxW8rycCHdpMAt8Q2-cCegQIABAD&oq=villa+away+kit+70s&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQAzIICAAQgAQQogQ6BAgjECc6BQgAEIAEOgQIABADOggIABCABBCxAzoHCCMQ6gIQJzoNCAAQgAQQigUQQxCxAzoKCAAQgAQQigUQQzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQgwE6BggAEAUQHjoECAAQHlDrBljaUWDzWGgDcAB4AIABT4gB-RCSAQIzM5gBAKABAbABBcABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=y9iEZcTpGLzfnsEP2pmJ-A0&bih=700&biw=384#imgrc=FyU1lDtEmMCANM

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal