collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279983 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #2850 on: December 21, 2023, 02:29:32 PM »
Again, you refuse to accept that it is a choice but look at where they've used it:

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1737786479420551519

There the crop makes sense.

Here - https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2023/december/21/av-150--countdown-to-anniversary-season-begins-/ - they have it rotated and have cropped it another way that still cuts the text.

Instagram has the same one as the official site.

On linktr.ee they have a very small version of the graphic - https://linktr.ee/avfcofficial - but it's in a circle so you don't even see the bit that you're upset about.

Literally the only version that is like that is the one that is in this thread and I can't even find where that's from. So the worst case scenario is that they created a graphic and then in 1 use case it looked a bit off.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2851 on: December 21, 2023, 02:31:53 PM »
Aston Villa are one of the biggest sports clubs in Europe with a globally recognised brand and the wealth and resources to ensure they are employing (either directly or as consultants) people with the knowledge and experience needed for such a big company. Do you seriously believe no one at any point looked at that and had the same thoughts before it was discussed and they decided to go with it?

Blimey, it's not like we've had shit design results before? We've always been one of the biggest clubs in Europe, and we still ended up with Lerner's badge. I'm pretty certain Purslow didn't go down to Erdington T-shirt Printers and Tattoo Studio for the last botched crest re-design, but that still got canned for not being good enough.

Whoever was responsible for the AV150 thing should never be allowed near a Mac ever again.

What's happening here is you're confusing you not liking something with it being irredeemably shit. You didn't like the Lerner badge (nor did most fans) but Lerner clearly did, to the point he got it inked on his leg, that's not the same as claiming the club are incompetent and don't know basics of graphic design. The AV150 thing is exactly the same.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2852 on: December 21, 2023, 02:37:27 PM »
All I can say is that I've seen dozens of professional designers on Twitter and other places saying how shit it is from a design point of view, so my opinion doesn't come into it.

My daughter was walking past and I asked her what she thought it said. She shrugged and said HU something with some sort of lorry design underneath. It's a mess.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #2853 on: December 21, 2023, 02:38:19 PM »
I've just been browsing the online ticket office, and it's shit. Buttons aren't appearing when I select a seat and then it comes up with an error message.

That's just one example of the litany of crap I've seen in Villa's online ecosystem over the years, from rubbish design, to the constant inability to stream matches on AVTV (and having to refund me for it on occasion).

On that basis, I'm inclined to think Pablo might have a point, and not just because he actually does this shit for a living!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2854 on: December 21, 2023, 02:44:12 PM »
I've just been browsing the online ticket office, and it's shit. Buttons aren't appearing when I select a seat and then it comes up with an error message.

That's just one example of the litany of crap I've seen in Villa's online ecosystem over the years, from rubbish design, to the constant inability to stream matches on AVTV (and having to refund me for it on occasion).

On that basis, I'm inclined to think Pablo might have a point, and not just because he actually does this shit for a living!

Exactly. NSWE have got most things right, especially the big stuff, but there's loads of ancillary things like the websites with the multiple log ins for different things, and things on the ground like the shite service that they've never got right.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #2855 on: December 21, 2023, 02:53:51 PM »
It's one of the things that surprises me, actually. As you say, they have got the big stuff spot on, but they haven't improved the marketing side much, when I was expecting that to be the first thing they addressed, because it shouldn't be difficult.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #2856 on: December 21, 2023, 03:00:19 PM »

That might be because they are reserved for the hospitality packages.  It doesn't makectgat clear on the site though and they initially appears as available.

Online Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #2857 on: December 21, 2023, 03:07:11 PM »
That design looks like it is not an accident - maybe somebody misunderstood the goal, but how it is implemented, that is with the words cut through. The one where VILLA is cut underneath the "logo" looks like a pixelation reference to a light show (tomorrow's game?)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2858 on: December 21, 2023, 03:14:52 PM »
Right, in an attempt to inject some joy back into everyone, does anyone know if Spurs pay more in wages than we do?

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #2859 on: December 21, 2023, 03:21:38 PM »
Again, you refuse to accept that it is a choice but look at where they've used it:

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1737786479420551519

There the crop makes sense.

Here - https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2023/december/21/av-150--countdown-to-anniversary-season-begins-/ - they have it rotated and have cropped it another way that still cuts the text.

Instagram has the same one as the official site.

On linktr.ee they have a very small version of the graphic - https://linktr.ee/avfcofficial - but it's in a circle so you don't even see the bit that you're upset about.

Literally the only version that is like that is the one that is in this thread and I can't even find where that's from. So the worst case scenario is that they created a graphic and then in 1 use case it looked a bit off.

But they are completely different images, using completely different image files, at completely different sizes.

So of course there will be some cropping on those that make design sense.

They are all the same campaign, but each image used for each graphic created will be a unique file, unless, they are using the same files for multiple purposes. If that is the case, then the files need to make design sense for both uses & have the exact same file size.

The other web pages would then have different graphics that speak the same design language for continuity.

Which is why the second link you posted has the image spread fully across the page & the crop is where the page ends.

So that makes design sense.

The first link you posted is similar to the image I first quoted, but is slightly smaller from top to bottom, therefore, the crop at the top & bottom makes design sense.

I cant see the third link so I do not know what is on it.

What your links have actually done, is confirm 100% that the cropping at the top & bottom of the text on the image I quoted & the emailer are mistakes.

Nowhere else is there a hard crop in blank (or coloured) space other than on that page I quoted & the emailer I received. And as both are likely to be using the same images, that makes sense that both have the same error.

Now again, I am not angry at this, its not the end of the world, I am not attempting to be arrogant, I am not trying to be a "know it all" (because I know the square root of fuck all in general), but I am pointing out that in my experience, both designing personally for multiple formats at a time for some hard deadlines, along with working with & for some pretty big companies, that errors happen easily & often.

And everything I have seen from this campaign so far, & my experience & knowledge of the subject, leads me to be 100% sure that the issues I highlighted in the quoted image & the emailer that I have received have a cropping issue at the top & bottom of the texts where those particular images are cropped into free space (coloured) by mistake.

Its an easy mistake to make & its easy to fix. But from a professional standpoint, it stands out to me like a sore thumb & does not scream "polished" for the campaign.

And thats without my opinion on the "AV150" logo...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 03:38:14 PM by pablo_picasso »

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2860 on: December 21, 2023, 03:26:06 PM »
I respect & appreciate Pablo's professional opinion and find it pretty convincing.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2861 on: December 21, 2023, 03:34:02 PM »
Right, in an attempt to inject some joy back into everyone, does anyone know if Spurs pay more in wages than we do?

Please also add a few paragraphs about amortisation.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2862 on: December 21, 2023, 03:34:03 PM »
All I can say is that I've seen dozens of professional designers on Twitter and other places saying how shit it is from a design point of view, so my opinion doesn't come into it.

I wonder if it's from the same small agency in London, Dragon Rouge with a Creative Director who's probably never been to a game in her life but goes to the pub every two years to join in the fun to watch England. Switching the direction of the lion despite over a hundred plus years of it facing the same way is probably her claim to fame. The AV 150 I imagine was given to a junior creative/YTS/intern.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #2863 on: December 21, 2023, 03:37:57 PM »

Can you please re-quote that in a better font please?

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #2864 on: December 21, 2023, 03:38:40 PM »

Can you please re-quote that in a better font please?

No cropping though...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal