collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Forge10
[Today at 09:47:10 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:36:48 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:32:20 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280050 times)

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #2460 on: October 17, 2023, 12:49:44 PM »
1500 posts. Fuck me, I talk a lot... 😂😉

Liverpool use a different logo for digital, though, don't they?

No.

Their Twitter account is the gates logo.

As are their YouTube account, official site, usage on the official Premier League site, on Sky Sports, etc. 

The latter two would have had to have had official club permission to use the correct logo too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 12:51:20 PM by pablo_picasso »

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2461 on: October 17, 2023, 01:13:20 PM »
From @primetimeperry on Twitter

I would be quite happy if we ended up with the top-left shield shape. The 1874/2024 dates for be removed in our annual badge redesign and it'd look perfect.

I like top left, but without the dates and star.

Same here...

Although bottom middle could also be an option...

The star thing doesn’t bother too much other than for optical reasons. As there is only one it will always look wrong wherever it goes. It either looks lost, an afterthought or that the lion as playing with it. Just don’t bother until we’ve won it a few times.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2462 on: October 17, 2023, 01:17:10 PM »
If it must be there it looks far better outside a shield and central.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2463 on: October 17, 2023, 01:25:33 PM »
Most of those are far too busy to work well when scaling down.

No more so than the Liverpool shield with the gates on them.

Or the Man Utd crest that is thought to be one of the strongest pieces of branding in the world*.

There are multiple crests that are more complicated than any of those, or our circle version.

Otherwise, we are going down another of the strongest pieces of branding in the world*, with the New York Yankees style route.

But then again, that is why there are branding instructions, to give a minimum scale size, amongst many other stipulations...

*may have changed but I remember reading about it in a design magazine a few years ago when I was working within the sports industry as a designer...

Liverpool scaled down as a favicon:

Are you saying that doesn't look fucking shit?

Man Utd is similar.

If I could be arsed I'd do the same for phone apps but the point is there are plenty of times where a very small icon is needed and clubs prefer to use their official crest but it is just a bit shit.

The Yankees are different because they use a completely different icon for those scenarios (the overlapped NY).

If the club want a kit badge with all sorts of bling on it then I'm fine with that so long as it comes with a full set of branding instructions but I have the worry that if we say "look we've got a great new crest" and then we just use bits and pieces from that it will lead to complaints so I'd prefer to start with a simpler design and then have other elements that cna be added rather than taken away.

Online Drummond

« Reply #2464 on: October 17, 2023, 01:56:15 PM »
That Liverpool one may look shit, but it's identifiable.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2465 on: October 17, 2023, 01:57:37 PM »
I'm not that keen on any of the badges really but the top left one is the pick of the bunch.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #2466 on: October 17, 2023, 02:02:35 PM »

Or the Man Utd crest that is thought to be one of the strongest pieces of branding in the world*.

There are multiple crests that are more complicated than any of those, or our circle version.

Otherwise, we are going down another of the strongest pieces of branding in the world*, with the New York Yankees style route.

But then again, that is why there are branding instructions, to give a minimum scale size, amongst many other stipulations...

*may have changed but I remember reading about it in a design magazine a few years ago when I was working within the sports industry as a designer...

Man Utd is similar.

If I could be arsed I'd do the same for phone apps but the point is there are plenty of times where a very small icon is needed and clubs prefer to use their official crest but it is just a bit shit.

The Yankees are different because they use a completely different icon for those scenarios (the overlapped NY).

If the club want a kit badge with all sorts of bling on it then I'm fine with that so long as it comes with a full set of branding instructions but I have the worry that if we say "look we've got a great new crest" and then we just use bits and pieces from that it will lead to complaints so I'd prefer to start with a simpler design and then have other elements that cna be added rather than taken away.

Its not amazing quality when its pinched down to those sizes, but it is still instantly recognisable as the brand piece that it is.

The problem is, anything pinched down to that size, even the New York Yankees or the Dallas Cowboys, two widely known, but simple, brand assets, would lose quality.

Both would still be instantly recognisable though. And thats the point.

I cant say what will happen for sure, or what did happen previously, but in my experience, there should be complex brand instructions from any reputable design company for any brand assets they create.

From the previous circular design, we were briefly shown some of those instructions in some of the mock ups. But they were not the brand instructions.

Fans would never really see those as the designer would...

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2467 on: October 17, 2023, 02:25:40 PM »

Man Utd is similar.

Its not amazing quality when its pinched down to those sizes, but it is still instantly recognisable as the brand piece that it is.

The problem is, anything pinched down to that size, even the New York Yankees or the Dallas Cowboys, two widely known, but simple, brand assets, would lose quality.

Both would still be instantly recognisable though. And thats the point.

I cant say what will happen for sure, or what did happen previously, but in my experience, there should be complex brand instructions from any reputable design company for any brand assets they create.

From the previous circular design, we were briefly shown some of those instructions in some of the mock ups. But they were not the brand instructions.

Fans would never really see those as the designer would...

It is recognisable I agree and despite me thinking it looks shit, I'm fine with it if they are. My point really is that if you decide, in 2022/23, to do a rebranding you should be considering the digital side of things and in those cases I don't think you'd design something like that Liverpool crest.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #2468 on: October 17, 2023, 03:12:21 PM »
I would like the middle one first row or the first one second row.
It would standout more on the jersey with a golden lion which is the correct colour of a lion as well.
It's most likely a shield shape badge so will be interesting what the final one will come as.
I do think that star is something to be proud of and is symbolic to all football clubs in recognition to winning so that ideally should be kept and proudly on display.
Up The Villa!

Proud of the star why? The star isn't the same as the Cup win. We don't have it scrubbed from our honours list if we remove the star from the crest.

Do you think MU, Liverpool and Chelsea aren't proud of their European Cups?

It is pompous for several reasons. The fact of the matter is it just isn't common practice in England to do this and by doing it we make ourselves look insecure (and indirectly we are suaing we won't win it again, which is the wrong fucking attitude if you want to be successful).

If our fans truly believed we are a big club they would reject this star.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #2469 on: October 17, 2023, 03:54:09 PM »
I would like the middle one first row or the first one second row.
It would standout more on the jersey with a golden lion which is the correct colour of a lion as well.
It's most likely a shield shape badge so will be interesting what the final one will come as.
I do think that star is something to be proud of and is symbolic to all football clubs in recognition to winning so that ideally should be kept and proudly on display.
Up The Villa!

Proud of the star why? The star isn't the same as the Cup win. We don't have it scrubbed from our honours list if we remove the star from the crest.

Do you think MU, Liverpool and Chelsea aren't proud of their European Cups?

It is pompous for several reasons. The fact of the matter is it just isn't common practice in England to do this and by doing it we make ourselves look insecure (and indirectly we are suaing we won't win it again, which is the wrong fucking attitude if you want to be successful).

If our fans truly believed we are a big club they would reject this star.

Having a star above our badge during European games I can understand. Having it in our badge just looks ridiculous. I agree getting rid of it doesn’t mean we haven’t won the biggest prize in European football and that we’ve forgotten about it. I was there in Rotterdam as a young lad and I don’t want it there but I am so proud of the club and what it achieved that night.
It doesn’t keep me awake at night but given the choice I’d rather it wasn’t anywhere near a new badge.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2470 on: October 17, 2023, 04:46:42 PM »
Why when i click on the picture to open up to look at it does a huge coke advert kick in????

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2471 on: October 17, 2023, 05:06:11 PM »
Why when i click on the picture to open up to look at it does a huge coke advert kick in????

Because of your browsing history. Have you been shopping on the dark net again?

Online Drummond

« Reply #2472 on: October 17, 2023, 05:12:59 PM »

It's not to be sniffed at.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2473 on: October 17, 2023, 05:16:19 PM »

Somebody of my acquaintance recently had a knock on the door from Big Rozzer after their details were found in the files of a dark web 'trader', who'd been busted, indicating they were a regular client. They weren't in, and have no plans to be.

It wasn't me, incidentally.

Offline Weedy

« Reply #2474 on: October 19, 2023, 02:34:02 AM »
Crestfallen. It's almost as if creating all those 'what if' mock-ups was a waste of time.

Anyway, let's have some more, since it seems the roundel isn't going be the future.
I've used the old shield with a variety of outlines and fills, on different backgrounds,
home, away etc.
Take your pick.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal