collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279982 times)

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #2250 on: September 27, 2023, 04:02:56 PM »
I think the problem is more that there were some mock-ups, etc but nothing was really planned about how to use the elements from the round badge. To have a proper joined up strategy you need to go into it with that as part of the design and I don't think they did that which is why Heck put it on pause.

That wouldn't have all been shown to us.

The club would have seen it as part of the overall design process.

And then at the end, the club would have been given pre-agreed "branding instructions" on how to use certain elements to give to people who work on the digital side, the print side, merchandising, etc...

Thats how it worked whenever I did branding in the past.

And I have also used brand instructions from companies like Nike, adidas, Puma, etc, on how to work with their assets within the piece of design I was working on at the time.

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #2251 on: September 27, 2023, 04:10:53 PM »
I know most people don't care - but there are a few case studies around the Premier League branding this is one: https://www.nomadstudio.com/work/premier-league which shows how a brand aspiring for global recognition should look and behave.

That's exactly what I'd expect to see from a proper rebranding, not just a badge but a whole marketing slate of colours, fonts, themes, embellishments, etc. That's what I've been babbling about for a while when I post about how what we did doesn't feel like a complete job and I#m not surprised that someone who has gone through full rebranding processes came in and stopped it as best he could.

Yeah, this is what I thought you meant.

This is part of the brand instructions.

The colours, the font family, the way the visuals are used in conjunction with other brand assets, etc. etc...

Even to the point of how small it is allowed to go & the space that needs to be around it at all times.

There are quite a few instructions that a designer using several different brand assets have to abide by & having several multipage pdfs on your desktop, each with separate instructions for brand assets, was quite a challenge to work with at times. Especially when deadlines are tight. And sometimes its pretty difficult to fit every asset & follow all guidelines, so as a designer, you have to go back to whoever owns the brand assets & get them to sign off on something that isn't 100% within their guidelines...

The amount of deadlines I missed waiting for brand sign off used to be very frustrating, lol...

But I digress, this is what I meant above when I said that we would not have seen anything like this as mere customers.

But the club would have...

The main reason for them not liking the current ‘new’ one is that it doesn’t work well for digital and as Paul said, the multiple variations thereof.

We will get something stylistically like Liverpool or Spurs badges. Or even Arsenal.

Liverpools actual crest works even less than our circular one for digital use due to its complex design.

They use the Liver-Bird on the shirts, but their actual crest is quite complicated.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 04:29:54 PM by pablo_picasso »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2252 on: September 27, 2023, 05:26:37 PM »
I think the problem is more that there were some mock-ups, etc but nothing was really planned about how to use the elements from the round badge. To have a proper joined up strategy you need to go into it with that as part of the design and I don't think they did that which is why Heck put it on pause.

And then at the end, the club would have been given pre-agreed "branding instructions" on how to use certain elements to give to people who work on the digital side, the print side, merchandising, etc...

And I have also used brand instructions from companies like Nike, adidas, Puma, etc, on how to work with their assets within the piece of design I was working on at the time.

Exactly but if a new marketing guy has come in and pretty much the first thing he did was to stop everything then it suggests that all that stuff either wasn't there or wasn't very good.

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #2253 on: September 27, 2023, 06:30:49 PM »

Exactly but if a new marketing guy has come in and pretty much the first thing he did was to stop everything then it suggests that all that stuff either wasn't there or wasn't very good.

We will never know because they prefer to give us flowery nonsense as explanations.

If either if those situations were true, & they were simply honest about it to us as customers, I think it would probably quell quite a few of the people who aren't happy about the situation.

I very much doubt it was the former though.

More than likely in Hecks subjective opinion, he didn't think it was "very good"...

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2254 on: September 27, 2023, 06:44:58 PM »
More than likely in Hecks subjective opinion, he didn't think it was "very good"...

Or he wanted to 'make his mark'.

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #2255 on: September 27, 2023, 07:18:10 PM »

Or he wanted to 'make his mark'.

Even more likely...

...In my humble opinion, of course.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2256 on: October 02, 2023, 11:34:08 AM »

Offline cdward

« Reply #2257 on: October 02, 2023, 11:44:25 AM »
Be quicker if they just told us which one they want us to pick.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2258 on: October 02, 2023, 11:46:25 AM »

They're not allowed to, this has been repeated many times on this thread.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2259 on: October 02, 2023, 11:46:52 AM »
"Additionally, the Club has not seen the anticipated commercial impact of the new crest design."

Amazing that, seeing as you haven't used it anywhere other than the new shirts. Which are shit.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2260 on: October 02, 2023, 11:47:22 AM »

I think he was being tongue-in-cheek Paul...

Offline cdward

« Reply #2261 on: October 02, 2023, 11:54:20 AM »

I was.
It's like being a kid at Christmas getting manipulated by your parents.
They know what presents you're getting, but you might not necessarily want them, so they work on convincing you that what you are getting is what you asked for.

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #2262 on: October 02, 2023, 12:14:37 PM »
"Additionally, the Club has not seen the anticipated commercial impact of the new crest design."

Amazing that, seeing as you haven't used it anywhere other than the new shirts. Which are shit.

And its not only competing against every other crest in the world, its also competing against itself with the shield crest.

Its the bullshit sort of data that had people complaining that the circular crest was all set up to win the fan vote...

Online paul_e

« Reply #2263 on: October 02, 2023, 12:25:12 PM »

Fair enough, it's just that someone seems to say it every week or so.

Online AV84

« Reply #2264 on: October 02, 2023, 12:30:54 PM »
I want a silhouette of John Carew lifting up the ball boy, on a vertical stripe background of claret and blue, with the border in the shape of a star made of tiny yellow lions, half of which face left, the other half right. And I guess put AVFC on it somewhere too, although that's optional. Don't want to make it too fussy .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal