collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279941 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1665 on: June 23, 2023, 08:41:43 AM »
If Heck and everybody else thought Purslow's badge was poor branding, then you don't reinforce failure.

Because what they've opted to do - throw some bullshit about 1982 in - isn't reinforcing failure?

Really badly handled clusterfuck.

No, it sounds like spin in a press release.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1666 on: June 23, 2023, 09:21:15 AM »
If Heck and everybody else thought Purslow's badge was poor branding, then you don't reinforce failure.

Because what they've opted to do - throw some bullshit about 1982 in - isn't reinforcing failure?

Really badly handled clusterfuck.

No, it sounds like spin in a press release.

Yep, it's clear what happened, we went through a rebranding process and then when we were too far along to back out completely Heck came in an stopped as much of it as he could, but the club have tried to save face a little and put an 82 spin on it.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1667 on: June 23, 2023, 09:23:44 AM »
I agree with Paul.

The truth is the badge was doomed to failure as soon as they decided to have fan groups leading the design and a fan vote.  I would have bet £100 at the start of the process that we would end up with a version of the 82 badge.  Ultimately we ended up with a pretty messy mishmash because it was designed by committee.  It was voted in because there was no other realistic option.

I think the club have done the right thing.  If Heck doesn't think this is the best branding to represent us world wide - and he is paid a lot of money to make these decisions - then I'm glad we haven't spent millions rebranding to a pigs ear version of a badge we had for 6 years in our 150 year history.

The spin was inevitable and is transparent for those of us close to it.  It will probably just wash outside the club to minimise external embarrassment.

I know there's many fans who would vote for us to wear our 82 kit and badge in perpetuity.  And that's fair enough, it's beautiful, the greatest part of our history and what many grew up with.  But I agree with those that think we need to look forwards, not backwards to a 2 year spell 40 years ago.  With that said, I would prefer a fierce heraldic lion front and centre of whatever we do.  I hope Heck doesn't move us more down the abstract logo route.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1668 on: June 23, 2023, 09:33:18 AM »
Last thing they should have done with Purslow before he left was post a video of him in the shower and then claimed the whole badge thing was a dream.

You've lost many of our younger viewers there Mr Shin ha ha.

Yes, what's the ref, Twin Peaks? Cos you've put disturbing images into my head of that Pravda video of Jack Woodward playing with his rubber duckies in the bath, pretending they're Villa players, while he commentates on his made-up football match amongst the suds, water and his goose-flesh.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1669 on: June 23, 2023, 09:36:17 AM »
Last thing they should have done with Purslow before he left was post a video of him in the shower and then claimed the whole badge thing was a dream.

You've lost many of our younger viewers there Mr Shin ha ha.

Yes, what's the ref, Twin Peaks?

I hope you're joking, young man. If not, here's a clue. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXBU7B7PbQ

Online paul_e

« Reply #1670 on: June 23, 2023, 09:40:24 AM »
Personally I think we'll end up with a new lion that's something like this:

With some other elements like a stylised "Aston Villa" banner and 1-2 other bits (an 1874 will be in there as well) which can then all be used together to create the badge, be leaned into in the kit design and will be all over the place in the stadium renovation, etc.

Edit: the reason I picked that image is because there's a pretty clear way to use just the lionhead, and I suspect that will be something they consider.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 09:42:03 AM by paul_e »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1671 on: June 23, 2023, 09:41:38 AM »

With some other elements like a stylised "Aston Villa" banner and 1-2 other bits (an 1874 will be in there as well) which can then all be used together to create the badge, be leaned into in the kit design and will be all over the place in the stadium renovation, etc.
That lion looks a bit camp.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1672 on: June 23, 2023, 09:42:48 AM »

As per the edit I don't think it'll be exactly that but it will be something where we can use both the full lion rampant and a lionhead, I think.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1673 on: June 23, 2023, 09:45:28 AM »

As per the edit I don't think it'll be exactly that but it will be something where we can use both the full lion rampant and a lionhead, I think.
Yes get that, just a bit of fun.
I would not mind if we did a Spurs with a lean simple image, like the Lion of the 70s shirts.
I also hope it faces the right way.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1674 on: June 23, 2023, 09:50:49 AM »
That lion looks like it was designed by Marcel Marceau

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1675 on: June 23, 2023, 09:54:49 AM »
I've said it before, but I think the Spurs badge is the best in the Premier League. Simple, modern and clean looking, easily used on both kits and digital platforms.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1676 on: June 23, 2023, 09:59:21 AM »
I've said it before, but I think the Spurs badge is the best in the Premier League. Simple, modern and clean looking, easily used on both kits and digital platforms.

*joke about a big cock*

Online aldridgeboy

« Reply #1677 on: June 23, 2023, 10:01:41 AM »
That lion looks like it was designed by Marcel Marceau

Ha ha brilliant.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1678 on: June 23, 2023, 10:11:36 AM »
I've got a prediction, just dropping it here to return to in 12 months.

The new badge we end up going with will immediately be labelled as "looking like an NBA or NFL badge".

That's not a preemptive moan, just a prediction.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1679 on: June 23, 2023, 10:15:39 AM »
I've got a prediction, just dropping it here to return to in 12 months.

The new badge we end up going with will immediately be labelled as "looking like an NBA or NFL badge".

That's not a preemptive moan, just a prediction.

Yeah, was just thinking the same thing. A lot of people like the round design so when Heck unveils his more 'modern' logo this thread will will explode with complaints

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal