collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280201 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1320 on: March 22, 2023, 07:43:49 PM »
Ooooooooh, non-scary claws.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1321 on: March 22, 2023, 08:49:37 PM »

And this.

I don't know why but this without fail always makes me laugh loudly. I should go to one of those online T-shirt shops and get one made.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1322 on: March 22, 2023, 08:52:16 PM »
I love the hippo. If you want to stand out on the global stage it's the way to go. Unique.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1323 on: March 22, 2023, 09:09:32 PM »
I would buy one

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #1324 on: March 22, 2023, 10:14:00 PM »

And this.

I don't know why but this without fail always makes me laugh loudly. I should go to one of those online T-shirt shops and get one made.

Yeah this always makes me laugh too - one of my favourite posts on this site. A pitiless disarmament of our badge.

Online Hillbilly

« Reply #1325 on: March 23, 2023, 02:17:23 AM »
I don't get the thing about facing right being forward and left backwards. If I'm travelling in one direction and facing that way, that's forward and if I'm going in the opposite direction and facing that way, that's forward. Seems like some barely subliminal tory b.s.

And it might be my screen but the claret is too dark and dull.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #1327 on: March 23, 2023, 03:25:14 AM »
The new badge is fucking ace and I can't wait to spend an obscene amount of money on merchandise. A pint glass that actually says "Aston Villa" will be top of the list.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1328 on: March 23, 2023, 03:44:30 AM »
I don't get the thing about facing right being forward and left backwards. If I'm travelling in one direction and facing that way, that's forward and if I'm going in the opposite direction and facing that way, that's forward. Seems like some barely subliminal tory b.s.

And it might be my screen but the claret is too dark and dull.
It’s exactly that, B.S.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1329 on: March 23, 2023, 07:08:14 AM »
And they're so keen on heritage that they say our founders were Scottish.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #1330 on: March 23, 2023, 07:38:23 AM »
The new badge is fucking ace and I can't wait to spend an obscene amount of money on merchandise. A pint glass that actually says "Aston Villa" will be top of the list.

Exactly, i can feel my new xmas mug already.

I actually like the new badge a lot, mainly because it reminds me of when i was a kid and we were successful, which we will be again with Unai, and the bullshit bingo marketing speal has actually made me laugh this morning, reminded me of that programme with Hugh Bonneville and the Olympic organising committee, cant remember the name.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1331 on: March 23, 2023, 07:44:51 AM »
New badge is ace

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1332 on: March 23, 2023, 09:27:24 AM »
Working in marketing I witness loads of post-rationalisation of ideas and nonsense when trying to explain design decisions.

However, without taking the piss there are clear practical reasons why we needed a new crest. The current crest is poor and doesn't work well on screen because of the colours used. The new selection of colour means it will work well on screen, in print and on clothing.

It doesn't have our name in it, which for a primary crest/logo for an organisation isn’t ideal. You might get away with that as Barcelona, but for a team that has had a low profile for the last 40 years then it was a daft decision. So the reintroduction of our name is obvious – and re-enforced by the survey -  it will help us build awareness internationally.

Switching the lion around is more about getting around the copyright problems that we had with the original 70’s round badge, but a nice bit of marketing rationale about heritage and Scottish founders 0 despite it being wrong…

However, along with the practical reasons for new logos/crests/badges, the emotive one probably comes from the owners. This is now their Aston Villa – it will be different to what’s gone before, that’s why they wanted/commissioned the new logo. I don’t blame them, as the existing one is tainted for the performance and mess of the last 10 years both on and off the pitch.
New logos never please everyone and there is never a right or wrong answer. It’s much, much better than the current one and it could turn into a classic if we actually win something!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1333 on: March 23, 2023, 09:41:14 AM »
Working in marketing I witness loads of post-rationalisation of ideas and nonsense when trying to explain design decisions.

However, without taking the piss there are clear practical reasons why we needed a new crest. The current crest is poor and doesn't work well on screen because of the colours used. The new selection of colour means it will work well on screen, in print and on clothing.

It doesn't have our name in it, which for a primary crest/logo for an organisation isn’t ideal. You might get away with that as Barcelona, but for a team that has had a low profile for the last 40 years then it was a daft decision. So the reintroduction of our name is obvious – and re-enforced by the survey -  it will help us build awareness internationally.

Switching the lion around is more about getting around the copyright problems that we had with the original 70’s round badge, but a nice bit of marketing rationale about heritage and Scottish founders 0 despite it being wrong…

However, along with the practical reasons for new logos/crests/badges, the emotive one probably comes from the owners. This is now their Aston Villa – it will be different to what’s gone before, that’s why they wanted/commissioned the new logo. I don’t blame them, as the existing one is tainted for the performance and mess of the last 10 years both on and off the pitch.
New logos never please everyone and there is never a right or wrong answer. It’s much, much better than the current one and it could turn into a classic if we actually win something!
Agree with this except the need to turn the Lion, the copyright issue was easy to overcome without this.

Offline Rico

« Reply #1334 on: March 23, 2023, 09:47:53 AM »
Just a question. From what I've read, the original badge did face to the right. Is that not correct then? I like the new badge, and have no problem with it facing to the right.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal