collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:57:13 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:40:18 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:57:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:56:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 09:54:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:51:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:50:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 09:50:15 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:47:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 09:46:40 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279469 times)

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1290 on: November 18, 2022, 04:57:19 PM »
If we were going with the round badge, I would have put 'Aston' across the top, 'Villa' across the bottom, '18' at the middle on the left, and '74' at the middle on the right. I would have also got rid of the stupid star. I'm assuming that the lion is flipped in large part to make the crest different from our 70s/ 80s one, and deal with copyright issues, which is of course an important consideration.
The lion is facing right as a nod to our first ever crest in 1878 where the lion face right. The star should be larger, centrally & outside the circle at the top. We tried that the last time the badge was created by Lerner on Word, but the FA said no. They didn’t say no to Manchester City having 13000 on theirs before their lottery win. Neither did they say no to Forest. I would just tell the FA to go jump in a lake & put it there anyway.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1291 on: March 22, 2023, 12:09:05 PM »
Some background to the company involved in the new badge design and process. Looks like it will be rolled out in May.

https://twitter.com/preeceobserver/status/1638488109904977923?s=46&t=0-BUXD66ovTcofwrbTW4Ag

Aston Villa FC rebrands to reach next-generation football fans

Aston Villa FC has revealed a glimpse of its new brand identity by Dragon Rouge through a redesigned crest, with more to come later this year.

By Abbey Bamford March 13, 2023 2:39 pm

Dragon Rouge has repositioned Aston Villa FC, “reigniting authentic brand assets” including the crest, as part of a wider strategy to reach next generation audiences.

The studio says it came out on top following a tender process initially involving over ten agencies. Dragon Rouge creative director Becky King says that the project gave the studio an opportunity to build its portfolio in this area, as it has also worked with French football clubs PSG and Lille.

“Football clubs can no longer think of crest and colours only. They must think like global entertainment brands and need their design assets to support that ambition”, says King. To achieve this, she says that clubs require “a flexible, characterful, rich brand identity” that has the ability to appeal to “next generation audiences” and a variety of channels as well as considering future developments and plans.

Aston Villa FC is the first club to rebrand under new FA and Premier League guidelines, which state that fans must be part of the consultation process for any major changes to club crests and colours. King says that consulting fans was crucial: “We used different fan groups at key moments”.

A history of the Aston Villa FC crest

While the previous crest depicted the club’s heritage in a simple, two-dimensional design, it had its shortfalls, such as only including the club’s initials and the “weak” colour contrast, according to King. Opting for “a classic design with a modern twist and agile approach”, King says that Dragon Rouge sought to build on its strengths and make it so that the individual components of the crest could be “unleashed and used separately”.

The studio homed in on the lion in the centre of the crest, which references the club’s Scottish founders. King says that the new design retains the lion’s stance but switches the direction that it faces, aiming to signify “the progressive, forward-facing nature of the club”. This also better reflects the design on the very first Aston Villa FC crest, which also faced right.

The club’s name now appears in full on the crest, along with its founding date. King says that to make the crest work at all sizes, Dragon Rouge augmented “the crafted details” of the design, overall making it “a more practical and distinctive design asset”.

Aston Villa’s “warmed up” yellow, visible on the crest typeface, seeks to add a touch of class and “reflect the club’s warmth”, says King. The reworked colour palette aims to put claret and blue front and centre once again, while retaining the “familiarity of yellow” to light up the name, she adds.

King says that the challenge with this project was to balance “the respect for tradition, historical details” and sentimentality with “the desires to modernise, be progressive and stay distinctive”. She adds that studios undertaking similar projects “should not underestimate the consultation challenge”.

The final consultation on the crest sampled over 20,000 fans, with an “overwhelmingly positive” response, according to King. She says that 77% selected the winning design.

In a bid to create “a more confident brand” for the club, King says the studio designed a standalone wordmark for “its unique name” so that the full crest “can be unleashed from its retaining shape”.

While the crest has already been revealed to fans, these new assets show how it might be applied. Now Dragon Rouge is working on a full identity, which will be revealed in May.

Aston Villa FC’s wider brand expression focusses on bringing assets “fully to life” and will include new colours, bespoke fonts, illustrations and motion graphics, says King. “There is a concept that is driving it all but you’ll have to wait to see”, she adds.

The big reveal is planned for the club’s last game of the season when it will start to roll out across all channels.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 01:18:03 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1292 on: March 22, 2023, 01:57:22 PM »
Can someone explain why the Lion has to face the wrong way?

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #1293 on: March 22, 2023, 02:05:05 PM »
Technically it's facing the way of the massive lion on the original kits (black?)  So if you go by Historical Kits you could argue that the Lion's been facing the wrong way since 1957  ;D

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1294 on: March 22, 2023, 02:07:52 PM »
Technically it's facing the way of the massive lion on the original kits (black?)  So if you go by Historical Kits you could argue that the Lion's been facing the wrong way since 1957  ;D
I think you have to go back further than that, the Crest on the Trinity had the Lion facing the right way.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1295 on: March 22, 2023, 02:08:29 PM »
Option 1 - we wanted to connect with the club's heritage and reinstate the lion that appeared on the first-ever shirt (but hardly ever been used since)
Option 2 - we have a massive retainer to do the work and while all the research shows the fans love the 80s version of the crest we have to do something for the money
Option 3 - we can copyright this version as it's now significantly different to the 80s version

Offline danno

« Reply #1296 on: March 22, 2023, 02:12:37 PM »
Obviously it symbolises we're heading in a new direction... Like London Villan I think its because its basically the 70s/80s badge but different enough so folk don't ask why we haven't just re-adopted that.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #1297 on: March 22, 2023, 02:32:10 PM »
I really like the new badge and for me the direction of the lion is facing the correct way. To me facing left is looking back. And aside from a couple of notable bright spots in the past 40 years (FORTY), we need to start looking to forward. Onwards. upwards and to the right with Unai.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1298 on: March 22, 2023, 02:52:33 PM »
I hope we go on to dominate like we did when the lion previously faced that direction.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1299 on: March 22, 2023, 02:59:48 PM »
My head can not cope with it facing that way and what will make it worse is when you are at a match and there will be people with the new clobber on and the Lion facing one way and then people with the old clobber on and it facing the other. It also goes against all the good branding Marketing principles but that is another argument.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #1300 on: March 22, 2023, 03:02:35 PM »
My head can not cope with it facing that way and what will make it worse is when you are at a match and there will be people with the new clobber on and the Lion facing one way and then people with the old clobber on and it facing the other. It also goes against all the good branding Marketing principles but that is another argument.

what good branding principles? Our brand on a global scale with the supporters will look to attract isn't exactly top of mind.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1301 on: March 22, 2023, 03:06:58 PM »

what good branding principles? Our brand on a global scale with the supporters will look to attract isn't exactly top of mind.
Sorry I don't understand

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #1302 on: March 22, 2023, 03:10:22 PM »

Sorry I don't understand

we've won next to nothing in 40 years. The younger supporters around the world only know Aston Villa from what they see on TV. And that's not been pretty for the most part. Our lack of success doesn't exactly drive excitement or investment from that group. They are likely to easily opt for Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U etc. Champions League drives a lot of that too. Some older fans might have an issue with the badge. New ones won't care one bit. They will support the club commercially if we are successful and we've not done much winning in a very long time.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 03:15:00 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1303 on: March 22, 2023, 03:16:18 PM »

Sorry I don't understand

we've won next to nothing in 40 years. The younger supporters around the world only know Aston Villa from what they see on TV. Our lack of success doesn't exactly drive excitement or investment from that group. They are likely to easily opt for Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U etc. Champions League drives a lot of that too. Some older fans might have an issue with the badge. New ones won't care one bit. They will support the club commercially if we are successful and we've done much winning in a very long time.
Based on listening to people who really know about this stuff, not the usual bullshit and wind merchants that inhabit this space.
They would not have ended up with that crest for a whole lot of reasons to do with
Recognition
Position
History
Engagement
Clarity
Purpose

I could go on but ...........

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #1304 on: March 22, 2023, 03:23:47 PM »
The new badge recognizes all of that. Whether you agree with it or not is up to you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal