collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Neil Critchley - Former Assistant Head Coach  (Read 31049 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Neil Critchley - New Assistant Head Coach
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2022, 01:15:59 PM »
Can’t you get express passport services over there? I assume that means he’s also out for Rennes too seeing as we fucked off out of the Union.

You could before everything seemingly imploded because of Covid. Got one next day for my wife when I'd booked to take her to Paris. Now though, it's weeks and weeks.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2022, 01:19:26 PM »
Can’t you get express passport services over there? I assume that means he’s also out for Rennes too seeing as we fucked off out of the Union.

You could before everything seemingly imploded because of Covid. Got one next day for my wife when I'd booked to take her to Paris. Now though, it's weeks and weeks.

Yeh that’s what I meant. I know it got long out here too but for specific business requirements it was fast tracked. Not back to what it was mind you. I figured given he was appointed on June 2 it would have been enough time to get it sorted.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2022, 10:17:15 AM »

Yep covid did for renewals, and Brexit hasn't helped either, the old extensions don't count these days which means renewing earlier.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2022, 10:23:38 AM »
In his recent Welcome to Villa video interview on Pravda, Critchley mentioned looking forward to going to Australia because he'd never been there before!

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2022, 09:39:51 AM »
This appointment appears to be a concern now, and it appears that Crtichers was brought in primarily because Gerrard knows him, rather than because it was the best appointment for the club and coaching premier league players to the next level or even current levels. We talk about players being upgraded but it seems the Beale loss and the replacement of Critchley was lower standard.

I'm wondering how far this guy is out of his depth.
Having no experience dealing with the calibre of our players, his coaching appears to be stagnant, and as highlighted on MOTD 2, our players were disjointed in the attack.
The errors in movement of our forward players into right spaces and runs made, as well as highlighting Danny Ings having to go wide and strangely overlapping Luca Digne, came after a few weeks of pointing out Watkins going out to the left and leaving big space in the box, as well as him not making attacking moves into space in the penalty area.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2022, 09:42:29 AM »
In his recent Welcome to Villa video interview on Pravda, Critchley mentioned looking forward to going to Australia because he'd never been there before!
Well that says it all. Having read that.
Wonder how he felt meeting the superstar premier league players. He must be overawed by it all.
Bet this guy feels like he won the lottery.
And can imagine he was paid a substantial wage to be brought in.
Question would be would any other club be looking to take him on as a coach in the premier league?
I'm not sure how much impact he's making.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2022, 09:43:33 AM »
That MOTD2 stuff sounds awful, Footy. Combine that with our hideous running stats and you do get the feeling of a team basically not being coached. Sherwoodish.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2022, 09:55:57 AM »
That MOTD2 stuff sounds awful, Footy. Combine that with our hideous running stats and you do get the feeling of a team basically not being coached. Sherwoodish.

Yes to top it all off, Micah Richards was doing the analysis!
He was emphasising the concerns around teams balance, and the primary focus and fixation was on the front pairing of Watkins and Ings, as well as knowing the best 11.

There was some 100% accuracy on football tactics and errors highlighted by video footage of the players, but an ignorance to the overall issues of SG's insistence and knowledge of how he plays and only briefly touched on that the full backs play wide and attacking and missed some other underlying issues.

So it was fascinating but up to a point. As it didn't have the depth.
It was all about the main characters. As it were, the big stars. Coutinho, Watkins, and Ings were singled out.

I believe they made some excellent points, but they also failed to grasp the concept of a squad game as a counter to the obvious fact that SG does not know his starting lineup.
And, of course, there is no mention of a new coach that being this man Crtichley.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:19:01 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2022, 10:21:08 AM »

I took note of the MOTD and added quotes to the thread's comments and the analysis's time stamp.
It wasn't the first time that former professionals had said that this team didn't appear to be competent.
That's super concerning because similar observations have been made by us fans and followers in attendance at games as well as by those who have been watching or listening any match we have played. This has been the case at various points throughout last season and most definitely this season against Bournemouth and Palace.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:24:01 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Risso

« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2022, 10:37:26 AM »
Well that says it all. Having read that.
Wonder how he felt meeting the superstar premier league players. He must be overawed by it all.
Bet this guy feels like he won the lottery.
And can imagine he was paid a substantial wage to be brought in.
Question would be would any other club be looking to take him on as a coach in the premier league?
I'm not sure how much impact he's making.

He's a highly regarded coach, but one who has been here for four games.  I can't think of many assistant coaches/managers who haven't come from the lower leagues.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2022, 10:42:50 AM »
If it is too early to judge Gerrard then Critchley certainly deserves some slack.  He’s very well qualified and was previously a manager so I’d be surprised if he is a complete dud. 

However I remember reading that he often played 352 at Blackpool so I am slightly surprised that he’s now implementing tactics that Gerrard himself admitted are from the brain of Beale.  That cannot be easy (or the correct thing to do).

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2022, 10:53:03 AM »
It all smacks of jobs for the boys.

Purslows mate gets the managers gig.
Gerrards mate gets the coaching gig.

Throw in undroppable McGinn and another mate Coutinho being a ghost on the pitch and it's who you know not what you know.

Fucking shit.

Offline Risso

« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2022, 11:00:01 AM »

Don't nearly all managers have an assistant they worked with before? Eddie Howe was reported only to have agreed to the Newcastle job if he could bring in Jason Tindall, for example.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2022, 11:01:49 AM »
The only flaw in blaming Critchley is the fact it was also absolutely shit under Beale.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2022, 11:19:51 AM »

Don't nearly all managers have an assistant they worked with before? Eddie Howe was reported only to have agreed to the Newcastle job if he could bring in Jason Tindall, for example.

Tindall needed a gig though, can you imagine the size of his electricity bill this winter trying to keep on top of that tan?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal