collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble  (Read 58884 times)

Online Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
  • GM : PCM
Re: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble
« Reply #375 on: May 21, 2023, 05:14:51 PM »
You're wrong. Only Connect is the best show on TV, possibly ever.

And what's more, this very fanzine was once a clue on it.

I like it, and it's possibly the best quiz show on TV.

*even if the missing letters round is the only round I'm good at.

I love it but I absolutely have to fast forward the singing. I cringe so hard that my balls retract so much they enter another dimension. I have no idea why she likes it so much.

We do exactly the same.

It's the reason we never watch it live, we miss the first minute or two then watch from the start so we've got room to fast forward through the hideous singing parts, and the equally awful monologues she does, which are the least funny things on television.

I can't remember the last time I heard one of her monologues either as I do the same and as soon as I know the score it's off before she can do her bit at the end. It's strange as I actually still really like her and I'm weirdly happy she's with David considering I don't know them.

Apart from sport though I never watch anything live. Entertainment shows have too much bullshit filler in them so I can say I like a show but really I've probably cut the run time by at least 30%.

And at least one member of this parish has been a contestant...https://youtu.be/PAk1SIm97Mo

...I agree about the singing. I always try and fast forwarded to exactly the point where it finishes and am usually not far off. The intro and outro...these can be slyly funny at times although there are at least as many misses as hits

Online Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
« Reply #376 on: May 21, 2023, 05:26:09 PM »
I like Coren-Mitchell, but I don't like Only Connect. It's as if someone watched University Challenge and thought 'how can we make this even more smug?'

Was it you that wrote in to complain about the pretentiousness of using Greek letters?

Might've been, although I think I said 'funny forin squiggles' rather than 'Greek letters'.

We're supposed to have Brexit-ed!

The first 3 series only used Greek letters. I was on Series 4. As I recall one episode of that series began with VC saying that the programme had received a letter from a viewer opining that the usage of Greek letters to label series was pretentious, that the show completely agreed with this sentiment, and so in response to this they were going to start using...Egyptian hieroglyphs...

Offline villabear

« Reply #377 on: May 21, 2023, 06:48:36 PM »
I really like Only Connect. The series that has just finished is worth watching for the reaction in the final of the losing team captain. Comedy gold.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #378 on: May 22, 2023, 12:28:27 AM »
You're wrong. Only Connect is the best show on TV, possibly ever.

And what's more, this very fanzine was once a clue on it.

I like it, and it's possibly the best quiz show on TV.

*even if the missing letters round is the only round I'm good at.

I love it but I absolutely have to fast forward the singing. I cringe so hard that my balls retract so much they enter another dimension. I have no idea why she likes it so much.

We do exactly the same.

It's the reason we never watch it live, we miss the first minute or two then watch from the start so we've got room to fast forward through the hideous singing parts, and the equally awful monologues she does, which are the least funny things on television.

I can't remember the last time I heard one of her monologues either as I do the same and as soon as I know the score it's off before she can do her bit at the end. It's strange as I actually still really like her and I'm weirdly happy she's with David considering I don't know them.

Apart from sport though I never watch anything live. Entertainment shows have too much bullshit filler in them so I can say I like a show but really I've probably cut the run time by at least 30%.

And at least one member of this parish has been a contestant...https://youtu.be/PAk1SIm97Mo

...I agree about the singing. I always try and fast forwarded to exactly the point where it finishes and am usually not far off. The intro and outro...these can be slyly funny at times although there are at least as many misses as hits

Ah nice one Martyn. I've only been watching for around 4 years so I hadn't come across you on it. How disappointed were you after the loss? A lot of pressure on the captain as well! Nowadays you would have gotten a 2nd chance.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #379 on: May 22, 2023, 06:51:19 PM »
Brilliant Martyn. Didn’t realise we existed close to a star.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #380 on: May 23, 2023, 12:14:27 PM »
I've never even heard of it.  How do people find time for this sort of stuff?

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #381 on: May 24, 2023, 01:05:13 AM »
What... 30 minutes of TV?

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #382 on: May 24, 2023, 01:07:54 AM »
I've never even heard of it.  How do people find time for this sort of stuff?

That's a bold question from someone with 7k+ posts on this forum!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal