collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 11:16:07 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:14:59 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:14:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:12:54 PM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:09:43 PM]

Re: MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Boubacar Kamara - out for the season  (Read 169200 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Boubacar Kamara - out for the season
« Reply #1710 on: February 14, 2024, 09:33:49 PM »
I've not fact checked it, but apparently the ACL is 4 centimetres long, takes 2000 Newtons of force to fuck up, and an Italian study of some 140ish cases showed that over half of cases involve physical contact, but often even something like shoulder to shoulder.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1711 on: February 14, 2024, 09:47:27 PM »
I've not fact checked it, but apparently the ACL is 4 centimetres long, takes 2000 Newtons of force to fuck up, and an Italian study of some 140ish cases showed that over half of cases involve physical contact, but often even something like shoulder to shoulder.
Yeah - and the Villa provided data for 139 of them

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #1712 on: February 15, 2024, 10:15:58 AM »
Have we not had this type of pitch for a while, though? I don't see why anybody's looking for reasons beyond us being cursed, frankly.

It's occurring across the whole division, I've not looked at the stats in the lower leagues.  A jump of 300% in ACL injuries is a hell of a coincidence isn't it? 
Then how have there only been 4/5 ACL injuries in the last 2 seasons but we've had 3, 2 of which before a heavy fixture schedule has even started.

I think the most boring and likely explanation is probably just bad luck.

Real Madrid have had 3 this year. Arsenal have 2. There have been about 10 in the WSL.

All of this has already been mentioned on this thread.

I agree that the fact that a lot of those were early in the season (when watering of pitches is far more common) means training is less likely to be the issue.

The prevalence of ACL injuries in the women's game makes that a separate discussion for me. A discussion that I've seen suggestions made of menstrual cycle and lack of strength training.

That's one of the most sexist and reductive comments I've seen of the women's game.  Whatever podcast you've been listening to is frankly horrendous.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1713 on: February 15, 2024, 11:13:42 AM »
Have we not had this type of pitch for a while, though? I don't see why anybody's looking for reasons beyond us being cursed, frankly.

It's occurring across the whole division, I've not looked at the stats in the lower leagues.  A jump of 300% in ACL injuries is a hell of a coincidence isn't it? 
Then how have there only been 4/5 ACL injuries in the last 2 seasons but we've had 3, 2 of which before a heavy fixture schedule has even started.

I think the most boring and likely explanation is probably just bad luck.

Real Madrid have had 3 this year. Arsenal have 2. There have been about 10 in the WSL.

All of this has already been mentioned on this thread.

I agree that the fact that a lot of those were early in the season (when watering of pitches is far more common) means training is less likely to be the issue.

The prevalence of ACL injuries in the women's game makes that a separate discussion for me. A discussion that I've seen suggestions made of menstrual cycle and lack of strength training.

That's one of the most sexist and reductive comments I've seen of the women's game.  Whatever podcast you've been listening to is frankly horrendous.

It has been pretty widely reported, on the BBC site and the like.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #1714 on: February 15, 2024, 11:18:32 AM »
If that's true then I apologise but it does sound like the type od sound byte churned out by sports pundits to denigrate the women's game.  My bad.

Having just done some reading it's something of a leap to suggest that menstruation is a direct cause of ACL injuries.  Women are more susceptible to Joint injuries in general and that using a hormonal contraceptive may help reduce that increased risk.  Most of the 7 studies conducted globally are rated poor to fair and are in the very early stages.  The largest study was of less than 70k participants.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 11:42:28 AM by DrGonzo »

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #1715 on: February 15, 2024, 12:04:18 PM »
A few years ago, when the WSL gathered momentum, ACL injuries began to bite, and I read a doctor’s view on “why?. First up, he said his theory needed far more analysis, but he posited that women have wider hips than men and thus the thigh bone connects with the knee at a different angle to men, and so put extra pressure on the ligaments.

My guess as a fully qualified IT person is that strain through many more games at a greater speed* is a contributing factor.

* I watched our European Cup the other day and was struck how mush slower it was than the modern game, men and women.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1716 on: February 15, 2024, 12:09:57 PM »
He's going to be a massive loss for us.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #1717 on: February 15, 2024, 01:27:24 PM »
If that's true then I apologise but it does sound like the type od sound byte churned out by sports pundits to denigrate the women's game.  My bad.

Having just done some reading it's something of a leap to suggest that menstruation is a direct cause of ACL injuries.  Women are more susceptible to Joint injuries in general and that using a hormonal contraceptive may help reduce that increased risk.  Most of the 7 studies conducted globally are rated poor to fair and are in the very early stages.  The largest study was of less than 70k participants.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I have no idea if it's true or not, was just adding that it's a suggestion which is out there.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1718 on: February 15, 2024, 02:13:00 PM »
A few years ago, when the WSL gathered momentum, ACL injuries began to bite, and I read a doctor’s view on “why?. First up, he said his theory needed far more analysis, but he posited that women have wider hips than men and thus the thigh bone connects with the knee at a different angle to men, and so put extra pressure on the ligaments.

My guess as a fully qualified IT person is that strain through many more games at a greater speed* is a contributing factor.

* I watched our European Cup the other day and was struck how mush slower it was than the modern game, men and women.

Did Withe's shinner still go in?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1719 on: February 15, 2024, 02:24:56 PM »

Similar point was made on a BBC News segment i.e. that physiological differences lead to women players suffering more ACLs.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1720 on: February 15, 2024, 07:03:26 PM »
It wasn't intended as being sexist. There were many mainstream sources trying to explain why the women's game has such an extensive occurrence in ACL injuries over that of the men's game. One of (many) theories was that the change of hormonal balance during the menstrual cycle significantly weakened joints.

Basically it's not known why and there are hardly any studies where the subjects were only women. The majority of data was on male subjects. So there's been calls for greater investment so that studies using women only participants could be commissioned in order to establish why.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1721 on: February 15, 2024, 08:03:29 PM »
Nice to see Barry Glendenning (Guardian Football Weekly) acknowledge the level of loss Kamara is - some in the media are aware of us.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #1722 on: February 16, 2024, 02:31:29 PM »
Tanswell:

Emery was asked about Tim Iroegbunam replacing Kamara and was at his most animated: "I decided to let Dendoncker leave. Tim has to be ready and he has to be ready being demanding, saying 'it's my time, now I am here!' I don't know if he is going to, but I believe in him."

I hope he is being demanding. Looks like this could be a big opportunity

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1723 on: February 16, 2024, 03:40:07 PM »
It wouldn't shock me to Tim start tomorrow vs Fulham. Pushing SJM back there doesn't work at all.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1724 on: February 16, 2024, 04:02:56 PM »
Tanswell:

Emery was asked about Tim Iroegbunam replacing Kamara and was at his most animated: "I decided to let Dendoncker leave. Tim has to be ready and he has to be ready being demanding, saying 'it's my time, now I am here!' I don't know if he is going to, but I believe in him."

I hope he is being demanding. Looks like this could be a big opportunity

I hope Tim connects, in his way, with us supporters tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal