collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Boubacar Kamara - out for the season  (Read 165075 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Boubacar Kamara - Signed
« Reply #990 on: March 05, 2023, 12:35:48 PM »
I'd heard that too Clampy. It strikes me as the thing a reasonable bloke like Emery would say, when behind the seasons I reckon he's giving Purslow a right rocket up his arse. He doesn't look like he takes any prisoners, despite the endearing persona.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #991 on: March 05, 2023, 12:44:08 PM »
Not really in this case I think,  an experienced current Belgian international as a replacement is fair enough, I can't think of too many clubs that have better options. Spurs for example are currently playing that Oliver Skipp in midfield and he's shite

Oliver Skipp - who is he? Exaaactly!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #992 on: March 05, 2023, 12:47:07 PM »
Skipp isn’t great but he did score a cracker the other day vs Chelsea

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #993 on: March 05, 2023, 01:53:40 PM »
I still feel the squad is far too light in numbers. One injury to Kamara and we're almost scratching around to replace him. Just imagine if Watkins gets an injury! It's telling that we have so many goalkeepers on the bench. There's an outside chance of Europe, but I feel we haven't got enough depth in the squad should any injuries occur.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #994 on: March 05, 2023, 02:12:58 PM »
I won't go into the January window again because it's been done to death. I read an article the other day where Emery says the reason why he's been picking two goalkeepers is because prefers the youth players to be around training rather than giving them false hope of naming them on the bench or something like that.

And what chance did Sinisalo have of coming off the bench? I can recall a couple of games in the last four years where we've had to change a keeper because of injury. I can't think of a single ocassion ever when the replacement keeper has got hurt. A third keeper, especially a youth player has got the least hope of getting a single second playing time of anybody.

I agree it's a bit odd but I'm just saying how he's explained it.

Someone else mentioned on here that three keepers are required for the pre-match drills.  I’ve not seen the actual quotes though or an explanation of what the third keeper does that a coach couldn’t.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #995 on: March 05, 2023, 02:22:29 PM »
Someone else mentioned on here that three keepers are required for the pre-match drills.  I’ve not seen the actual quotes though or an explanation of what the third keeper does that a coach couldn’t.

The coach saves more shots than Olsen so it demoralises the players pre-match.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #996 on: March 05, 2023, 02:23:13 PM »
I won't go into the January window again because it's been done to death. I read an article the other day where Emery says the reason why he's been picking two goalkeepers is because prefers the youth players to be around training rather than giving them false hope of naming them on the bench or something like that.

And what chance did Sinisalo have of coming off the bench? I can recall a couple of games in the last four years where we've had to change a keeper because of injury. I can't think of a single ocassion ever when the replacement keeper has got hurt. A third keeper, especially a youth player has got the least hope of getting a single second playing time of anybody.

As I said elsewhere, that's the worst excuse I've ever heard. He wasn't doing it before we had the clear out of Ings and Archer etc in January, and what on earth would the third keeper (who doesn't need to be in the squad to do drills anyway) be doing?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #997 on: March 05, 2023, 05:13:36 PM »
Skipp isn’t great but he did score a cracker the other day vs Chelsea

And was impressively articulate (for a footballer) afterwards on MOTD2 when interviewed.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #998 on: March 05, 2023, 06:11:02 PM »

Sitting on a bench for an hour and half in the cold is all part of a goalkeeper’s training as it’s what a lot of them spend half their career doing. It’s like at police college where students have to stand around all afternoon watching people walk past.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #999 on: March 05, 2023, 06:23:07 PM »
Tsk. And people think accountants have boring jobs.

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #1000 on: March 05, 2023, 08:53:22 PM »

But why not have the third keeper helping with that , and not have him as a named sub? I don’t think there’s a rule that only subs can be on the pitch in the warm up  ?

( I know it’s not your opinion , just repeating what the manager has said btw)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1001 on: March 05, 2023, 09:28:58 PM »

But why not have the third keeper helping with that , and not have him as a named sub? I don’t think there’s a rule that only subs can be on the pitch in the warm up  ?

( I know it’s not your opinion , just repeating what the manager has said btw)

Because the 3rd keeper will be there anyway and will be involved with all the build up, if for no other reason than to step up to the bench if either of the others pick up a late knock, etc. For them being the 3rd keeper comes with no expectations, they're highly unlikely to get on the pitch and they're well aware that may be the case for years. There are plenty of goalkeepers who've retired having been at big clubs their entire career and having never played more than a handful of games per season, it comes with the job.

Put a young outfield player on the bench and they might think a debut is inevitable because it's easy to give them 5-10minutes at the end so you create expectations. For them a place on the bench is much more of a reward to be earned rather than just part of their development. Young is almost certainly a bit upset that he's been on the bench but never had a debut, it would be perfectly natural for him to feel like he's missed a chance and that creates a situation for the coaches to deal with. He comes across as a good kid and I'm sure they were always honest with him but I can see why Emery is going the way he is. I might not dso the same but I think his reasoning makes sense and I don't get the impression that it's a dig at the board or any other conspiracy silliness.

Online Astnor

« Reply #1002 on: March 06, 2023, 06:02:12 PM »
Out for at least a month according to The Athletic.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 06:08:46 PM by Astnor »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1003 on: March 06, 2023, 06:09:02 PM »
Hopefully back for the Forest game. Only 2 games this month. Shit considering how excellent he is to have missed this much time in his first season.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1004 on: March 06, 2023, 06:18:40 PM »
Out for at least a month according to The Athletic.

Hopefully that means its just a bad sprain.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal