collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Crystal Palace Post-Match Thread  (Read 17357 times)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
Re: Aston Villa vs Crystal Palace Post-Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2022, 05:29:58 PM »
So we need a minimum of 4 points to have any chance of finishing in the top half, not looking too promising.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2022, 05:31:39 PM »
What would be the point of giving SG money to spend.
He can’t use the players he already has.
Not starting Buendia is truly stupid.
And then waiting for 71 minutes to put him on is even more stupid.
I suspect we will have to put up with him until around October when the penny drops for the owners.
I think the penny needs to drop that the current group are not good enough to take us any higher then we are at the moment. If the money isn’t forthcoming then stand by for more of the same next season
His team selections, formation and game management are dreadful.   This group of players is underperforming.   We only beat shit teams.  Our home form is disgraceful.    The football has generally regressed under him.   
I disagree with just about everything you’ve said. SG sets the formation. It’s up to the players to carry it out on the pitch. All the other points are down to the majority of players not being good enough. Like I said, if you want more of the same next season and hope that the squad start performing, don’t give him any money

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2022, 05:33:22 PM »
That was as rubbish as all other rubbish performances. I don’t how Watliks/Ings combo could work and he keeps leaving Buendia out of team and team always looks worse for it. We were lucky to get a point today. A very frustrating afternoon.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2022, 05:35:14 PM »
Not seeing Coutinho fitting into the defensive midfield role.
😂😂😂.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2022, 05:36:02 PM »
Palace are a strong, physical side - not easy to play against. We looked quite a bit smaller in most areas of the pitch and couldn’t find the space to get Coutinho on the ball closer to their goal - he came too deep as a result.
We only really came to life after Buendia came on and probably should have nicked it in the end.
His big challenge next season will be to find a shape to the get them both in the side.

The guard of honour given to the European cup heroes and the thousands of flags was a grit in the eye moment.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2022, 05:37:06 PM »
Pretty turgid stuff at times today.  Marv got about well again, but still gave his obligatory couple of sloppy passes in very dangerous areas.  Luiz and Ings well off the pace and should have come off earlier in Ings's case.

Buendia looked lively again when he came on.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2022, 05:38:35 PM »
That was as rubbish as all other rubbish performances. I don’t how Watliks/Ings combo could work and he keeps leaving Buendia out of team and team always looks worse for it. We were lucky to get a point today. A very frustrating afternoon.
That's a fair and accurate assessment.
And reason why this season can't end soon enough and hope rather than expectations that be less performance like that next season if only due to the supposed sweeping summer changes coming.
2 matches now remain against lowly and lofty opposition  and we can't really be sure what will happen though if predictable a win and a loss.
Up the Villa!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline TonyD

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2022, 05:39:06 PM »
What would be the point of giving SG money to spend.
He can’t use the players he already has.
Not starting Buendia is truly stupid.
And then waiting for 71 minutes to put him on is even more stupid.
I suspect we will have to put up with him until around October when the penny drops for the owners.
I think the penny needs to drop that the current group are not good enough to take us any higher then we are at the moment. If the money isn’t forthcoming then stand by for more of the same next season
His team selections, formation and game management are dreadful.   This group of players is underperforming.   We only beat shit teams.  Our home form is disgraceful.    The football has generally regressed under him.   
I disagree with just about everything you’ve said. SG sets the formation. It’s up to the players to carry it out on the pitch. All the other points are down to the majority of players not being good enough. Like I said, if you want more of the same next season and hope that the squad start performing, don’t give him any money
It is always the managers’ fault if the players play poorly due to the manager’s setup and tactics.  So you have lost your own arguement there.  So you must also think that leaving Buendia on the bench is also the right thing to do.  There is nothing much so far to suggest that Gerrard is going to be a success apart from blind faith. 

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2022, 05:40:24 PM »
Pretty turgid stuff at times today.  Marv got about well again, but still gave his obligatory couple of sloppy passes in very dangerous areas.  Luiz and Ings well off the pace and should have come off earlier in Ings's case.

Buendia looked lively again when he came on.
These comments could be a copy and paste job for other performances this season and possibly used for our last 2 remaining matches also for playing out the season despite Gerrards bravado of next season platforms and playing for future. Feel some players are lost already or know.
Buendia has to be given game time for Thursday and at least Ramsey back now these are the players we can be excited about at least

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2022, 05:48:22 PM »
Seeing Coutinho picking the ball up 5 yds outside our own box tells you all you need to know. Very poor, lacklustre, subs came too late, Palace looked the better and fitter team.

Gerrard has a lot to do, lets hope he’s up to the task

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2022, 05:49:34 PM »
And why aren't likes of Chukwuemeka and Iroegbunam getting match minutes today?
I think vs Burnley one or both should be getting starts if not 20 minutes or a half of football.
Can't see that SG is saving them for Man City for the experience though Chukwuemeka gets the match minutes against the higher placed teams , 'call me Tim' more likely to play at home (like v lowly Norwich) vs Burnley.
Think have to look to future and next season now in all honesty.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2022, 05:50:25 PM »
The continual dropping of Buendia is inexplicable.
No it’s not. PC and buendia don’t work in the same team. Coutinho has just signed, so was rewarded with a first team spot. It’s unfortunate for Emi but not inexplicable. We aim to be top team, top teams have a strong squad with players missing out.

Gerrard seems to say they can. He shouldn't be rewarded with a spot for signing a contract, players should be picked on form. Buendia is in form, Coutinho isn't.

And I'm as delighted as the rest of us with him signing, but he's completely out of form.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2022, 05:56:18 PM »
SG shouldn't have picked the same eleven as the Liverpool game. After a hard fought match against Liverpool on Tuesday, the players looked leggy and slow. Palace had no midweek game, so they looked sharper and fresher. Why didn't he start with Buendia and Ramsey? They can drive and get past defenders. Konsa looked poor before he got injured. Once Chambers, Buendia and Ramsey came on we looked more incisive with quick passing and movement. I thought for their equaliser our marking was a bit sloppy. A poor day overall.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 05:57:54 PM by Villafirst »

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2022, 05:58:31 PM »
Tremendous scenes pre-game.
Disappointed as I was expecting the win today.
11 goals from Ollie in a meh season. Took his goal well. This lad will fire again next season.
Ings wasteful. Buendia creative. Why is he not starting games?
Home form still remains a concern. Our manager will need to ensure this improves from the off next season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal