collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Crystal Palace Post-Match Thread  (Read 17356 times)

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
Re: Aston Villa vs Crystal Palace Post-Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022, 04:38:55 PM »
What would be the point of giving SG money to spend.
He can’t use the players he already has.
Not starting Buendia is truly stupid.
And then waiting for 71 minutes to put him on is even more stupid.
I suspect we will have to put up with him until around October when the penny drops for the owners.
I think the penny needs to drop that the current group are not good enough to take us any higher then we are at the moment. If the money isn’t forthcoming then stand by for more of the same next season

Probably a bit if both. But SG needs a summer to shape his squad

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2022, 04:39:37 PM »
Pat Murphy was back to his ''never having anything nice to say about the Villa" when he covers us for 5Live. He has that annoying tendency to come to an early conclusion on a game and how both teams have played when there's still plenty of time left.

I respect him as someone who is forthright and gets to the point with his reporting but I wise he covered our games less and covered all of our pre/post-match conferences instead. He'd ask Gerrard blunt and searching questions instead of the easy, generic shite that gets thrown at him every Thursday by the unimaginative, meek lot of Hale, Toss, Dorsett et al.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2022, 04:40:14 PM »
The handful of times we actually played some football, we looked decent. Overall, Palace were the better side though. As always Buendia was the one who got us playing. We looked pretty toothless though.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2022, 04:42:31 PM »
I suspect we will have to put up with him until around October when the penny drops for the owners.
I think the penny needs to drop that the current group are not good enough to take us any higher then we are at the moment. If the money isn’t forthcoming then stand by for more of the same next season
His team selections, formation and game management are dreadful.   This group of players is underperforming.   We only beat shit teams.  Our home form is disgraceful.    The football has generally regressed under him.   

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2022, 04:54:40 PM »
Absolute chalk and cheese compared with Tuesday night.
Was it only a few days ago we went toe to toe with one of he best teams on the planet ?
Tuesday was full of pace, passion, fight, desire and quality.

Today was pedestrian, lethargic and devoid of any quality whatsoever.

I guess that’s the definition of an inconsistent team.

We need to be better, much better.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »
His team selections, formation and game management are dreadful.   This group of players is underperforming.   We only beat shit teams.  Our home form is disgraceful.    The football has generally regressed under him.   

And your back, but this time after we’ve drawn, which is scraping the barrel really. You were very quiet after Burnley and Liverpool.

It was a pretty dull mid table end of season affair, but thought there were some green shoots. Full backs are both very good. I thought McGinn battled away and Beundia and Ramsey added energy when they came on.
Coutinhio was everywhere and we were relying to much on him, we needed to give Palace something else to think about which happened when Beundia came on.

Ings has missed far too many chances in last few weeks and needs to be a squad player. Saying that Watkins has to score that chance at the end, thats the difference with the top strikers like Son, Ollie will either get better next year or he wont. The difference between Ollie and Ings, is Watkins works the defensive line all game every game.

Going forwards next season a nee dynamic CDM with Mcginn and  Ramsey as midfield runners and Emi2 and Coutinhio pulling strings behind a lone Watkins/or another and we’ll do ok.

Online enigma

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2022, 04:56:07 PM »
Nah, it hasn't regressed. We're as bang average as we were before. We haven't really improved either though to be fair.

Online Aldridge Villa

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2022, 04:58:43 PM »
Can’t see the logic in playing Luiz if Dougie starts whilst Buendia twiddles his fingers on the bench.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2022, 05:00:15 PM »
Nah, it hasn't regressed. We're as bang average as we were before. We haven't really improved either though to be fair.
On our day we actually beat top teams.   Now we don’t.   I’d class that as regression. 

Online enigma

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2022, 05:03:31 PM »
On our day we actually beat top teams.   Now we don’t.   I’d class that as regression.
Not this season we didn't.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2022, 05:04:19 PM »
The continual dropping of Buendia is inexplicable.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2022, 05:11:12 PM »

I agree with this, largely.

However, if this group of players isn't good enough to get us any higher, can we really say that SG is getting the best out of them?

I don't think we can.

We are incredibly inconsistent. He needs backing and the time over the summer to get the squad looking more like he wants it to look, and he's still basically playing here with what he inherited halfway through the season.

However, it's hard to say he's getting the best out of what he has when he keeps leaving our best player on the bench, and playing both Watkins and Ings on the basis that it's looked good for about an hour all season.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2022, 05:12:34 PM »
The continual dropping of Buendia is inexplicable.
No it’s not. PC and buendia don’t work in the same team. Coutinho has just signed, so was rewarded with a first team spot. It’s unfortunate for Emi but not inexplicable. We aim to be top team, top teams have a strong squad with players missing out.

Offline colin69

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2022, 05:17:31 PM »
Scrappy game but I thought Palace were pretty decent to be fair. Big team who play decent football.
1-1 a fair result.
Highlight of the day was applauding the 82 European Cup winners.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 05:23:06 PM »
Zaha is a see you next Tuesday.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal