collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 09:24:55 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeB
[Today at 09:16:30 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by dicedlam
[Today at 09:16:24 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:16:23 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 09:14:52 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by WarszaVillan
[Today at 09:13:51 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 09:06:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Nev
[Today at 09:03:52 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 30477 times)

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2022, 05:23:26 PM »
Our transfer activity was poor in the last window? You joking?
Countinho was great - but that is 100% Gerrard and nothing to do with our recruitment set up. 

We shouldnt have let Targett go, and have seen nothing to suggets Luca Dean is an upgrade - mainly because he seems to be injured.  He may turn out to be a great player. 

And after that window, do we look any closer to being a top 8 team?

Offline Beard82

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2022, 05:27:25 PM »
Hate this season - cant wait for it to be over.

We're currently higher in the league than we've finished for over ten years, yet strangely I agree. I definitely disagree about Gerrard being out of his depth though. It may well transpire that that's the case, but it would be incredibly unfair to reach that conclusion after six months, particularly when we're higher in the league than we finished under Smith. He'll get a proper crack at it next season and rightly so.
I know what your saying, but well probably finish at least 10 points behind where we finished last season.  I would be very surprised if we finish in the top half. 

I am sure he will get a proper crack next season, and he probably deserves the chance to, but lets face it Dean got us to our highest finish in 10 years and was out the door within 10 games of the new season, and another season has been written off.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2022, 05:36:11 PM »
You can’t put all the blame on Gerrard for not matching last season’s points. Smith had served up 10 points from 11 games.

Offline beness

• GM : 21.01.2018
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2022, 05:38:20 PM »
Why is Buendia out of favour. He is a play maker and makes an impression when he gets on. He should at least get 30 mins on the pitch if we are losing rather than about 15 plus extra time.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2022, 05:40:50 PM »
No chance of us finishing top half this season as we are way too inconsistent. Realistically, I think we’ll finish 14th/15th unless we dramatically improve our performances.
I couldn’t believe how many people polled for us to win today. I went for the draw but even that was wide of the mark. If I voted with my heart, I’d put us down for a win every game but, just at this moment in time, we seem to actually be drifting backwards.
If it’s true that some of our players either want to leave the club or are wanted by other clubs in the summer, ie Luiz, Watkins and Cash, I’d let them go for the right amount of money.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2022, 05:42:26 PM »
Depressing performance. I really question the tactics. Against a back 3 the space is in the channels. So why did we try and force the play through the middle for 90 mins. The season is becoming a bit shambolic from all concerned.

Offline Beard82

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2022, 05:48:09 PM »
Im not putting the blame on Gerrard - the point I am trying to make is have we seen enough from him and lange to trust them in ripping apart this team and rebuilding it at the cost of over £100m

Dean Smith was sacked because in Purslows words, we wasnt seeing the continual progress that we need. 

We havent seen that this season under either manager imo, we have had a few good spells under Gerrard - but we are only 5 points better off then newcastle in 15th, and they have a game in hand.

Personally, I was hoping more from the new manager than not being quite as shit as Dean was in those first 11 games.

Offline john2710

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2022, 05:50:38 PM »
We're too easy to beat. Wolves simply waited for us to lose possession, which we happily did & opened us up on the break. We lose possession, the full backs are out of position & the midfield are all ahead of the ball.

We had 9 corners & did the same thing on every one. Wolves created more from our corners than we did.

You've got to set out to be hard to beat & we are not. It happens in every away game. With the exception of the keeper, the whole spine of the team needs replacing.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2022, 05:51:26 PM »
Why is Buendia out of favour. He is a play maker and makes an impression when he gets on. He should at least get 30 mins on the pitch if we are losing rather than about 15 plus extra time.

He did little v Arsenal and balance dosen't look right with him and Coutinho sharing the same turf.

Was bright with his cameo though so would assume he'll start next week.

Personally I'd like to see him in 8 position for a game or two. Might not work but who knows, McGinn isn't very good these days.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2022, 05:54:27 PM »
 :Fine margins. Both their goals were awful from a defensive perspective.Players slipping on their arse under no pressure and an awful moment for Young .Add to that a piss poor miss by Ollie Watkins. You just don't win Premier league games when you perform so abjectly in both areas. We're not catching Wolves now so I'd rather Gerrard gave the youth some game time. I expect big changes to our midfield in the summer window and at least one top class striker.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 05:58:36 PM by The Edge »

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2022, 05:55:00 PM »
Ruined my Saturday again. We were just poor.
I don’t understand the managers reluctance to use subs. Smith was bad for it and game management, Gerrard doesn’t seem to be any better. How you wait until 72 mins (injury aside) beggars belief at 2-0 down.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2022, 05:57:41 PM »
I’ve seen us play worse but rarely been as bored watching as today - might as well have stuck a bleeding Coldplay dvd on tbh. Zzzzz

Offline Villan82

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2022, 05:59:37 PM »
Our lot in the game since the early 2000s has been v disappointing. Really poor. The big change in that time, for me, is players. Yes money has been a massive change but we have owners with deep pockets right now and Lerner did invest for 4 or 5 years. We haven't had a top, top manager in that time but the big problem has been the players.

Speaking in general terms, players underperform with us. They do well with their former club or they do well with their national side but for us they go through these periods of passive uncommitted shite. Either agents turning their heads or life being too comfortable at villa with a nice big wage and a nice flashy stadium to play at.

That's the big change from when I was a youth. It's so long since we had players who want to bust a gut for the shirt or who see that they can achieve their ambitions with us. Too often we have had players either using us for another move or using us for a big payday.

Granted, the jury is out on the current side but the signs aren't great. it all seems too familiar. It is all too sickening.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2022, 06:03:58 PM »
Pants.

Offline trinityoap

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2022, 06:15:34 PM »
1.Go up your opponent's end and score.
2.Stop them from scoring by defending properly.
3.When they've got the ball get it from them.
4. When we've got the ball don't give it away.
Simple really isn't it, or am I missing something?
Why couldn't we do any of 1,2,3 or 4 today?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal