collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 793141 times)

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4155 on: August 10, 2022, 10:22:38 AM »
The way Ings and Watkins are playing I would give Davis and Archer a go as a pair (when Davis is fit)?

They could be the new Heskey and Owen!

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4156 on: August 10, 2022, 10:24:41 AM »
We've been two players away from being a great side since Gregory wanted Muzzy bleedin' Izzet and...some other half-decent donkey but no more than that.

When are we going to see signs of this squad having been highly-coached and ready to unleash fury on a weekly basis?

Agreed, not a cent more for Gerrard. Let him work with what he has and prove that he can make a coherent lot out of them.

I never really understand this attitude - it’s not a binary thing, the squad still needs enhancement regardless of the fact you don’t rate Gerrard.

We have way too many players at the moment for starters, allowing more to come in without departures only extends the new bomb squad.

For where we are, I think talk of replacing Watkins or McGinn with new regular starters is a bit fanciful . Gerrard has already replaced the regulars in the following positions since he came in 3, 5, 6, 10 and is still struggling to show any improvement in the team. The squad is more than good enough for a comfortable top half finish so let's see Gerrard earn his dough with coaching, sensible tactics and player improvement for a change.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #4157 on: August 10, 2022, 10:26:43 AM »
Any centre forward links? We don't seem in any great rush. Has anyone told them the season starts in early August this season?
We're being linked with Raul de Tomas of Espanyol. Scored 17 in 34 league games last season.

5'10" according to Wiki, no thanks. We need somebody to hold the ball up not another Ings.

He is supposed to be very good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play. Where his stats falter is in the high press side of his game.

For me under Gerrard the whole team falter on the High press side of our game.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #4158 on: August 10, 2022, 10:27:46 AM »
We're being linked with Raul de Tomas of Espanyol. Scored 17 in 34 league games last season.
[/quote]
Birmingham Mail - nothing to see here

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4159 on: August 10, 2022, 10:29:15 AM »
Right now we have a very decent squad of players. Unfortunately, they are being asked to play in a system that doesn't work.

I'm all for getting better players, but I'm not sure it will make much difference. Would another striker have resolved Saturday's shit-show?

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #4160 on: August 10, 2022, 10:47:10 AM »
Right now we have a very decent squad of players. Unfortunately, they are being asked to play in a system that doesn't work.

I'm all for getting better players, but I'm not sure it will make much difference. Would another striker have resolved Saturday's shit-show?

I agree, We have no identity and no style of play. We could have signed Lewandowski and he wouldn't have got a look in on Saturday.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #4161 on: August 10, 2022, 11:01:00 AM »
Lewandowski not yet registered by Barcelona, so there's still hope ;)

Offline sid1964

« Reply #4162 on: August 10, 2022, 12:51:42 PM »
Just read that we are being linked to Victor Nelsson, a centre back at Galatasary, not sure if he is any good as I have never heard of him.

He is Danish and 23 years of age and used to paly for Copenhagen - Lange must know him well

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4163 on: August 10, 2022, 12:58:41 PM »
Just read that we are being linked to Victor Nelsson, a centre back at Galatasary, not sure if he is any good as I have never heard of him.

He is Danish and 23 years of age and used to paly for Copenhagen - Lange must know him well
Can you hear the drums, Fernando?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4164 on: August 10, 2022, 01:04:48 PM »
Why are we being linked with centre-backs like him and Ampadu? We've got a million of them as we do central midfielders (where we're also looking to add to, apparently).

Our squad is in danger of being be lop-sided with a lot of fringe players who play similar positions that we can't get shut of cos we pay them more money than anyone else would.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4165 on: August 10, 2022, 01:11:04 PM »
I’d suggest the links are bollocks - probably generated by the Mings stuff.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #4166 on: August 10, 2022, 01:21:01 PM »
Why are we being linked with centre-backs like him and Ampadu? We've got a million of them as we do central midfielders (where we're also looking to add to, apparently).

Our squad is in danger of being be lop-sided with a lot of fringe players who play similar positions that we can't get shut of cos we pay them more money than anyone else would.

I too think that the centre back thing is related to them thinking Mings might be off, together with Hause on loan which would leave us with 3. I think it's extremely unlikely.

Midfield wise though, we do have a few but McGinn, Luiz, Sanson and Ramsey are all pretty similar. Ramsey can be used a bit further forward as an 8 but is still a bit patchy and the other 3 run about a bit and give it simple for the most part and don't effectively get into the opposition or take the bull by the horns and drive us forward. Nakamba is a 6 but not that good, struggles against some of the better players. Kamara, for me, might just be a better version of McGinn, Luiz and Sanson. So we still need a 6 that can get into the opposition and drive us forward. Not so bothered about the 8 because i think Ramsey can do it and if not maybe McGinn.
We could do with offloading one of Sanson or Luiz to get in the type of player we need.

Striker wise, i'm not sure we're as desperate but if the opportunity presents itself to get someone in that would be an improvement we should do it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4167 on: August 10, 2022, 01:50:01 PM »

I agree in centre backs, 5 on the books right now and Feeney looks like he could easily step up to be the 4th choice so probably 6 really.

I think you're wrong on midfield though. We have 2 for each position Kamara/Nakamba - McGinn/Luiz - Ramsey/Sanson but SG brings Luiz on as a defensive option ahead of Nakamba and doesn't seem overly keen on Sanson so we are pretty much reliant on 3 from 4, with Tim maybe getting game time across the season. I suspect the plan before the start of the summer was for Carney to be the 6th option and now we're looking to sign a replacement for him.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4168 on: August 10, 2022, 02:51:01 PM »
Talking about a 6th option when we're not in Europe and with a manager who has his favourites (i.e McGinn) seems luxury/waste to me.

You've said yourself that two (Sanson/Nakamba) appear to be superfluous and Tim will struggle to get many starts with JJ, Meatball, Luiz and Kamara all ahead of him.

If we're bringing-in one worth £30m+ then surely a couple of the above players will have to leave.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4169 on: August 10, 2022, 03:02:00 PM »

I still think we have a striker problem with Ings and Watkins but after the shit show at Bournemouth and all the other stuff we have some fundamental problems.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal