collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by DrGonzo
[April 29, 2024, 10:59:54 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:37:42 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 797693 times)

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4125 on: August 09, 2022, 08:18:03 PM »
Could it not be more a case that the money is there, but is being kept for more elite signings rather than buying players that aren’t going to take us any further than where we are? With potential well scouted but not interested more cut price alternatives not available also.
I think this is it - I think Newcastle have struggled in a similar way. 

The only issue is the only way out of this cycle is either to take a risk on up and coming or bring enough success with what you’ve got to bring people in

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #4126 on: August 09, 2022, 08:19:28 PM »
Could it not be more a case that the money is there, but is being kept for more elite signings rather than buying players that aren’t going to take us any further than where we are? With potential well scouted but not interested more cut price alternatives not available also.

I would like to think that we have some competence regarding incoming transfers now. Getting Kamara on a free and locking up Coutinho for a very reasonable price shouldn't count as "not investing. Kamara was rated at 40m+ just a year ago.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #4127 on: August 09, 2022, 08:24:20 PM »
It isn't going to take an elite signing to replace John McGinn.

Not that I disagree with your point btw.

There have been players that I would consider would definitely improve us who have gone relatively cheaply this summer...but they’ve gone to your PSG’s, Roma’s, etc. And others who we probably could get but we’re already stocked/made investments in those areas such as Damsgaard. We also have to accept that for a lot of the players we want, we’re probably their 4th, 5th choice, etc, and they’re only likely to move to us if their higher category of choices are off the table and likely late in the window. There’s still some weeks to go yet and I think the club actually are quite strong on the player recruitment/sale side of things.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4128 on: August 09, 2022, 09:07:55 PM »

I think that is on the money, lots of clubs haven’t been as active as expected ie Leicester, Newcastle….think it might be a busy end to the window for a few teams

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4129 on: August 09, 2022, 09:23:17 PM »
I think that's obviously what is going on. We'll see the CL and EL clubs mostly finish their business soon and then clubs like us will get the final couple we're after.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #4130 on: August 09, 2022, 10:29:18 PM »
Not worried about our transfer activity, I think overall we've signed some excellent players (Coutinho, Olsen, Carlos, Kamara, Augustinsson) for very reasonable fees - it's just that with them all being done early, it's felt like it's been not an active transfer window when, in reality, we've been doing a fair bit of business - and got some decent fees in for Targett and Barney.

Folk were saying that we 'just' needed a DM ... now that we've got one of those we 'just' need to replace McGinn and Ings. What happens if we do that?
It'll be 'just' a better right back, or another midfielder, or a 2nd striker, or whatever. There's not a single club in the country who is anything other than 1 or 2 players off some kind of magic formula.

There has to come a time when you say "no, we've spent enough, now you go out and do something with what you've got". And to be that's now. Gerrard's had 7 new players in the last 2 windows. You've got plenty of talent at your disposal, and a good 50% of the outfield players and now ones you've specifically chosen yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the Gerrard out brigade - I'm just also not in to saying that you can bring in the number & quality of players that we've brought in over the past 18 months and not show any forward progression either.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4131 on: August 09, 2022, 10:38:32 PM »
Not worried about our transfer activity, I think overall we've signed some excellent players (Coutinho, Olsen, Carlos, Kamara, Augustinsson) for very reasonable fees - it's just that with them all being done early, it's felt like it's been not an active transfer window when, in reality, we've been doing a fair bit of business - and got some decent fees in for Targett and Barney.

Folk were saying that we 'just' needed a DM ... now that we've got one of those we 'just' need to replace McGinn and Ings. What happens if we do that?
It'll be 'just' a better right back, or another midfielder, or a 2nd striker, or whatever. There's not a single club in the country who is anything other than 1 or 2 players off some kind of magic formula.

There has to come a time when you say "no, we've spent enough, now you go out and do something with what you've got". And to be that's now. Gerrard's had 7 new players in the last 2 windows. You've got plenty of talent at your disposal, and a good 50% of the outfield players and now ones you've specifically chosen yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the Gerrard out brigade - I'm just also not in to saying that you can bring in the number & quality of players that we've brought in over the past 18 months and not show any forward progression either.

That's about where I am. I would still like us to add a vieira/yaya style midfielder though who can carry the ball out from the back and drive the team up the pitch. I think JJ Ramsey and Tim both have it in them to be that player but need a bit more time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 10:40:28 PM by paul_e »

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #4132 on: August 09, 2022, 10:39:20 PM »
I'm not particularly bothered about spend levels but we must have a fair amount of FFP headroom with the low net spends of the past 2 to 3 windows currently. That said I'm sure wages will have increased substantially so maybe offsets that somewhat. Think we're in the queue for players after the CL/EL/EC clubs currently, should pick up in the lead in to Bank Holiday.   

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4133 on: August 09, 2022, 10:40:53 PM »

Agree. A very good post.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4134 on: August 09, 2022, 10:46:56 PM »

Agree. A very good post.

I would let him get an 8 of real quality before closing the safe. Then give him 10 games. And bin him in 3 knowing me lol

Offline avfcdale

« Reply #4135 on: August 09, 2022, 11:00:29 PM »
Gerrard needs to go in the next 6 weeks or we are back in the old second division

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #4136 on: August 09, 2022, 11:23:28 PM »

Pretty much where I am with it, but feel that as last season wore on, the need for a bit more quality up front was needed.  As you say though, pretty much every club are on the look out for a quality striker, so the competition will be fierce.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4137 on: August 09, 2022, 11:46:37 PM »

Yep, a win on Sat would help, we need to see where we are after window shuts. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4138 on: August 10, 2022, 12:22:13 AM »
We've been two players away from being a great side since Gregory wanted Muzzy bleedin' Izzet and...some other half-decent donkey but no more than that.

When are we going to see signs of this squad having been highly-coached and ready to unleash fury on a weekly basis?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4139 on: August 10, 2022, 12:47:23 AM »
We've been two players away from being a great side since Gregory wanted Muzzy bleedin' Izzet and...some other half-decent donkey but no more than that.

When are we going to see signs of this squad having been highly-coached and ready to unleash fury on a weekly basis?

Agreed, not a cent more for Gerrard. Let him work with what he has and prove that he can make a coherent lot out of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal