collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:44:41 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:43:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 08:43:13 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by OCD
[Today at 08:41:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 08:41:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:41:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 08:41:18 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Harte
[Today at 08:41:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 792131 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #675 on: May 10, 2022, 03:38:24 PM »
Watkins is one of only eight players in the premier league (outside of the teams vying for Champions league places) to get into double figures this season.  I'd love an upgrade on him (and pretty much everyone else), but in terms of priorities, I don't think moving him on should be that high?

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #676 on: May 10, 2022, 04:07:21 PM »
I see man sh-tty are getting their summer transfer business done early (with Haaland), just like they did last season.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #677 on: May 10, 2022, 04:08:25 PM »
I'd definately like Watkins to stay, still rate him highly. If he wants to go and we get £50m though we could get two players in with that who could have a big impact if spent wisely.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #678 on: May 10, 2022, 04:43:23 PM »
I think Watkins is perfect for West Ham’s system. Assuming the rumour is correct, do we really want to be selling a player to a potential rival, particularly if it helps them solve a major part of their system?

Online Villan82

« Reply #679 on: May 10, 2022, 05:14:59 PM »
Watkins is one of only eight players in the premier league (outside of the teams vying for Champions league places) to get into double figures this season.  I'd love an upgrade on him (and pretty much everyone else), but in terms of priorities, I don't think moving him on should be that high?

Sometimes we do ourselves no favours!

Watkins, in less than two full seasons, has scored more premier-league goals for us than Dalian Atkinson, Darren Bent and Paul Merson. Watkins has 24 league goals for villa; 5 behind Milosevic (over three seasons), 11 behind Vassell (over four seasons), 13 behind Carew (three and a half seasons).

If he keeps his current rate of scoring, it's likely he will overtake all of those next season getting into our top ten premier league era goalscorers.

Definite keep for me

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #680 on: May 10, 2022, 05:26:49 PM »
Haaland for €60m; Watkins for £50m?? Something doesn't make logical sense in these 2 prices.
I think - unless there is some amazing new player lined up to replace Watkins- we'll struggle to find a sufficient replacement for the dosh. Perhaps Calvert-Lewin is being lined up; I doubt it though.
If Suarez comes anywhere near to being a Villa player, I'd seriously to question the capability of whoever signs that one off.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #681 on: May 10, 2022, 06:04:08 PM »
Haaland for €60m; Watkins for £50m?? Something doesn't make logical sense in these 2 prices.
I think - unless there is some amazing new player lined up to replace Watkins- we'll struggle to find a sufficient replacement for the dosh. Perhaps Calvert-Lewin is being lined up; I doubt it though.
If Suarez comes anywhere near to being a Villa player, I'd seriously to question the capability of whoever signs that one off.

I think Haaland has to do with a release clause and Watkins is open market price, no?

Don’t want Calvert Lewin or Suarez.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #682 on: May 10, 2022, 06:05:25 PM »
Watkins would be a fair way down the list of players I'd like to see go out. I get all the objections about him but he works his tits off and has got to double figures 2 years in a row despite having, according to many on here, a really poor second season. If he wants to go and we're getting offers of double what we paid then of course we have to listen to them but if he isn't pushing for it I'd want his repalcement in for a few months first to ensure they're up to speed.

Same for me, but it's one of those where there's good money on the table and it might free up resouces where they're needed more.

Plus, I wonder if they're thinking Buendia/Coutinho situation could be resolved by playing both with a centre forward more suited to exploit their skills and allow them to play together.

I sort of agree with that but as I said if he isn't pushing to talk to them I'm not sure letting our top scorer leave in the hope that we can replace with better is a big risk given the amount of strikers who struggle in their first season after a move.

I tend to agree.

Maybe they've had an epiphany and decided Keinan is the man.

What does epiphany mean.

I think it's the girl who sang "I Think We're Alone Now".

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #683 on: May 10, 2022, 06:07:34 PM »

It was widely reported that Haarland signed for Dortmund, rather than one of the bigger suitors, in the first place was because they had agreed to the lower release clause.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #684 on: May 10, 2022, 06:11:18 PM »

Sometimes we do ourselves no favours!

Watkins, in less than two full seasons, has scored more premier-league goals for us than Dalian Atkinson, Darren Bent and Paul Merson. Watkins has 24 league goals for villa; 5 behind Milosevic (over three seasons), 11 behind Vassell (over four seasons), 13 behind Carew (three and a half seasons).

If he keeps his current rate of scoring, it's likely he will overtake all of those next season getting into our top ten premier league era goalscorers.

Definite keep for me

Watkins last season had arguably the best player in the league at the time supplying him with chances. He struggled, like most of our players, this season but is certainly finishing strong.

The problem with Watkins is that he doesn't really bring others into the play, with a very ropey first touch a huge weakness in his and our game. His assist count is very low for a reason. But in the last two games he did very well to be involved in two goals (Buendia x 2). Watkins is also a very durable sort fitness wise and no reason why he couldn't improve further in a more settled team. If he were to move on, we would have to be certain of a player of equality quality coming in but with superior back to goal play. Not sure there are many of those around.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #685 on: May 10, 2022, 10:02:44 PM »
Mings and Konsa both aren't good enough, especially the former.

Tired of the inevitable clanger just waiting to happen from Mings. Talks the talk, not so much walking of the walk.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #686 on: May 10, 2022, 10:46:17 PM »
We won’t take points off the big sides until we stop giving the ball away. I hope we completely rebuild the midfield for next season. The centre halves also need to be upgraded.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #687 on: May 11, 2022, 01:09:02 AM »

Tired of the inevitable clanger just waiting to happen from Mings. Talks the talk, not so much walking of the walk.

I think that's harsh. He slipped at a crucial moment. Lots of his peers did too. I thought he played well.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #688 on: May 11, 2022, 07:13:42 AM »
It looked like he slipped because he trod on the ball.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #689 on: May 11, 2022, 08:40:18 AM »

I think that's harsh. He slipped at a crucial moment. Lots of his peers did too. I thought he played well.

Me too, it's the other centre half that's worrying me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal