collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 784064 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #375 on: April 13, 2022, 04:41:56 PM »
Ings is about as reliable in front of goal as Watkins.
Possibly on current form.  But Ings is certainly the more accomplished finisher.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #376 on: April 13, 2022, 07:32:00 PM »
Let's be honest, the Ings signing was met with massive approval by nearly everybody on here. You can say it hasn't worked for us so far but knocking him as a footballer months after saying what a signing it was is just odd.

I was just thinking exactly that.  Views were a lot more positive at the start of the Ings thread, not much mention of him only having had one excellent season there.

Same here, the mood on here was pretty giddy when he signed Ings.

There was the odd cynic...kind of glass half empty merchants, mind. Think we were in a collective post Grealish depression and Ings seemed the perfect panacea. But the partnership with Watkins has never looked like working unfortunately bar the odd day like against his old club.

I wasn't expecting an elite athlete but he genuinely looks gassed after about 60 mins when he starts for us. That day at West Ham, he looked knackered before half time. Gerrard wants his forwards pressing hard from the front but that's not Ings game at all. From what I recall of him at Southampton, he was more about movement in and around the box.

Just seems like the classic poor fit for us. Excellent movement for two gilt edged chances v Spurs and flunks the finishing bit that his career suggests in his strength. He will probably do a decent job elsewhere.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #377 on: April 13, 2022, 07:43:06 PM »
It's probably not Ings' fault he's had 2 managers at Villa who haven't a clue how to use him.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #378 on: April 13, 2022, 07:52:57 PM »
It's probably not Ings' fault he's had 2 managers at Villa who haven't a clue how to use him.

Yeah it's probably not Ings fault that he cant kick a football at a big massive goal from 6 yards out.

Why are we making excuses for Ings all the time? Hes been piss poor for Villa, it doesn't matter what the formation is or how hes used, he has had numerous chances. He hasn't just missed them he cant even connect with a football correctly.

I give Ollie a bit of slack because he works really hard but even that is wearing thin but Ings has no redeeming features.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #379 on: April 13, 2022, 07:55:19 PM »
not sure who is making excuses for him all of the time. Who is?
His output needs to be better - but it's nothing new for Villa to sign a striker then not play to their strengths.

Offline mrfuse

« Reply #380 on: April 13, 2022, 07:59:39 PM »
His output needs to be better - but it's nothing new for Villa to sign a striker then not play to their strengths.

Erm Didn't you just say that he hasn't had a manager at Villa that didn't know how to use him?

so my apologies if that was sarcasm that went over my head, but I call that an excuse.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 08:02:34 PM by mrfuse »

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #381 on: April 13, 2022, 08:01:49 PM »

Erm Didn't you just say that he hasn't had a manager at Villa that didn't know how to use him?

Unless that was sarcasm that went over my head.
that was one comment, which is pretty accurate.

Doesn't really strike me as people making excuses for Ings all the time.

Offline mrfuse

« Reply #382 on: April 13, 2022, 08:07:48 PM »

Unless that was sarcasm that went over my head.
that was one comment, which is pretty accurate.

Doesn't really strike me as people making excuses for Ings all the time.

Well lets agree to disagree. I don't want to get into a long you I said thread.

It doesn't matter what anyone says Ings simply cant connect with a ball never mind have a shot.
Perhaps it was an exaggeration on my part but Ollie was getting a lot of stick which he may deserve and Ings was getting a away with a lot until very recently.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #383 on: April 13, 2022, 08:26:27 PM »
Ings missed two absolute sitters in the first half on Saturday. The volley from a free kick which he hit straight at the keeper and then a dreadful scuffed shot from a Watkins header after a corner. The tactics were therefore obviously fine, as we created chance after chance. He just botched both chances horribly. Hard to see how that is Gerrard not getting the best out of him to be honest.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #384 on: April 13, 2022, 08:43:53 PM »
Let's be honest, the Ings signing was met with massive approval by nearly everybody on here. You can say it hasn't worked for us so far but knocking him as a footballer months after saying what a signing it was is just odd.

I was just thinking exactly that.  Views were a lot more positive at the start of the Ings thread, not much mention of him only having had one excellent season there.

Same here, the mood on here was pretty giddy when he signed Ings.

There was the odd cynic...kind of glass half empty merchants, mind. Think we were in a collective post Grealish depression and Ings seemed the perfect panacea. But the partnership with Watkins has never looked like working unfortunately bar the odd day like against his old club.

I wasn't expecting an elite athlete but he genuinely looks gassed after about 60 mins when he starts for us. That day at West Ham, he looked knackered before half time. Gerrard wants his forwards pressing hard from the front but that's not Ings game at all. From what I recall of him at Southampton, he was more about movement in and around the box.

Just seems like the classic poor fit for us. Excellent movement for two gilt edged chances v Spurs and flunks the finishing bit that his career suggests in his strength. He will probably do a decent job elsewhere.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Offline nigel

« Reply #385 on: April 13, 2022, 10:10:47 PM »
Aston Villa have expressed interest in Germany centre-back Matthias Ginter, whose Borussia Monchengladbach contract expires at the end of the season. The 28-year-old has also been scouted by Juventus, Tottenham and West Ham. (Sky Sports)

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #386 on: April 14, 2022, 11:29:27 AM »
Aston Villa have expressed interest in Germany centre-back Matthias Ginter, whose Borussia Monchengladbach contract expires at the end of the season. The 28-year-old has also been scouted by Juventus, Tottenham and West Ham. (Sky Sports)

Looking at this with my Villa glasses off, and assuming the player had comparable offers from certainly Juventus and Tottenham, why would he choose to come to us given the clubs positions in their respective leagues?

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #387 on: April 14, 2022, 12:05:09 PM »

Looking at this with my Villa glasses off, and assuming the player had comparable offers from certainly Juventus and Tottenham, why would he choose to come to us given the clubs positions in their respective leagues?

Offer of first team football?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #388 on: April 14, 2022, 12:12:23 PM »
We pay big bucks, and don't put too much pressure on players to deliver. The Villa offer is the best a man can get.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #389 on: April 14, 2022, 02:03:10 PM »
There's a long way between scouting a player and offering them a deal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal