collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 784403 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2022, 10:32:49 AM »
I'd never classed Ings as anything more than a lower half Premier League forward, his stock had seemingly risen higher than that at Southampton but the evidence I've seen in a Villa shirt suggests I was right in the first place.

He lacks pace and has missed every one on one I can think of. If there's truth in the Brighton rumour I'd be thankful and snap their hands off.

Seems a nice bloke mind.

One excellent season in the Premier League, and that's pretty much it. He was injured a lot of course, but he's not the prolific goal-getter he's often portrayed as. He's been largely shocking for us.
Goal conversion ratio 13.5%

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #361 on: April 13, 2022, 10:41:29 AM »
I'd never classed Ings as anything more than a lower half Premier League forward, his stock had seemingly risen higher than that at Southampton but the evidence I've seen in a Villa shirt suggests I was right in the first place.

He lacks pace and has missed every one on one I can think of. If there's truth in the Brighton rumour I'd be thankful and snap their hands off.

Seems a nice bloke mind.

Instinctive one on finishes against Brentford and Southampton. He's more impressive gettingbhis shotsnaway quickly than Watkins is.

On the downside, he must have been thinking of his stonking bicycle kick against Newcastle on Saturday, cos he launched himself in the air twice against Spurs for shots when he didn't need to.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #362 on: April 13, 2022, 10:45:10 AM »
Let's be honest, the Ings signing was met with massive approval by nearly everybody on here. You can say it hasn't worked for us so far but knocking him as a footballer months after saying what a signing it was is just odd.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #363 on: April 13, 2022, 10:52:57 AM »
Let's be honest, the Ings signing was met with massive approval by nearly everybody on here. You can say it hasn't worked for us so far but knocking him as a footballer months after saying what a signing it was is just odd.
I was just thinking exactly that.  Views were a lot more positive at the start of the Ings thread, not much mention of him only having had one excellent season there.

As for this season, yes he's missed chances but I don't think his overall play has been shocking by any means.

Offline ez

« Reply #364 on: April 13, 2022, 10:55:33 AM »

Seems a nice bloke mind.

One excellent season in the Premier League, and that's pretty much it. He was injured a lot of course, but he's not the prolific goal-getter he's often portrayed as. He's been largely shocking for us.
I have to admit I bought into that portrayal but he looks just about done at this level probably due to injuries. If we can get half our money back we should take it.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #365 on: April 13, 2022, 11:00:46 AM »
He'll only look done when he's not getting into the positions to score goals. His movement and lay-offs are still more than adequate. We just need to find him in the right places more frequently for him to get his shots off.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #366 on: April 13, 2022, 11:12:09 AM »
For whatever reason, it just hasn't worked out for Ings at Villa. He's a good player though. He got a move to Liverpool on the back of great performances for Burnley and only failed at Anfield because he had terrible injury problems.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #367 on: April 13, 2022, 11:21:26 AM »

Fans in getting excited at a new signing shocker. People were pleased when we signed N’Zogbia, it’s just what football fans do.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #368 on: April 13, 2022, 11:34:09 AM »

Fans in getting excited at a new signing shocker. People were pleased when we signed N’Zogbia, it’s just what football fans do.
Thats not really the point.  Youre pretty much now calling him a one season wonder.  That didn't come accross as your views on him when he signed. 

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #369 on: April 13, 2022, 12:35:22 PM »

Thats not really the point.  Youre pretty much now calling him a one season wonder.  That didn't come accross as your views on him when he signed.

Shit the fucking bed, ace!!

He's a really good goal scorer, but also has a nice bit of skill to him. He did Luiz up like a kipper in one of the games last year, where he dummied it and sort of chipped it past him. You'd have expected a Brazilian to have done that to him, not the other way round.

So many lovely options! Ings as the 9, Watkins and Bailey wide, Buendia as the 10, Traore in the wings, but most of them nice and interchangeable.

Superb goal, nothing more to say. Wasn't one of those overhead kicks that are hit and hope but look good when they work, he intentionally arrowed it into the corner. I can't even begin to imagine how you do that.

Sorry Risso.

Online FatSam

« Reply #370 on: April 13, 2022, 01:00:27 PM »
It has rarely worked well when we have tried to push the boat out and sign players supposedly at their peak. I'm thinking of players like Collymore, Stone, Angel etc. Even in the Championship there was McCormack, Hogan, Kodjia etc.

It's easy to say now, whilst being broadly supportive of signing Ings, I was sceptical about his age, injury record, lack of re-sale value and tactical specificity.

I suppose it's obvious, but when you sign players at their peak, it really has to work out - the transfer fees are high risk.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #371 on: April 13, 2022, 01:54:57 PM »
It has rarely worked well when we have tried to push the boat out and sign players supposedly at their peak. I'm thinking of players like Collymore, Stone, Angel etc. Even in the Championship there was McCormack, Hogan, Kodjia etc.

It's easy to say now, whilst being broadly supportive of signing Ings, I was sceptical about his age, injury record, lack of re-sale value and tactical specificity.

I suppose it's obvious, but when you sign players at their peak, it really has to work out - the transfer fees are high risk.

Angel ?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #372 on: April 13, 2022, 03:00:12 PM »

I was just thinking exactly that.  Views were a lot more positive at the start of the Ings thread, not much mention of him only having had one excellent season there.

Same here, the mood on here was pretty giddy when he signed Ings.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #373 on: April 13, 2022, 04:34:21 PM »
Ings is about as reliable in front of goal as Watkins.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #374 on: April 13, 2022, 04:38:50 PM »
Ings is about as reliable in front of goal as Watkins.
Possibly on current form.  But Ings is certainly the more accomplished finisher.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal