collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 783918 times)

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2022, 08:01:26 PM »
According to the Daily Fail, we are monitoring Paul Pogba's situation at Man Utd. Hmm.
He wants something like 500k a week on his next deal apparently.

Imagine? :D

I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to pay that a week.He might want 500k a week but he plays like someone that should be earning £50 a week.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2022, 09:15:23 PM »
Just as there is a dearth of top-class centre halves there’s also not many top strikers under the age of 30 that spring to mind
I mean if you’ve got 50-60 mil to spend on a top quality centre forward who you going to bring in realistically

I was thinking the same pal. I liked the look of Daka that Leicester signed, but he's hardly pulled up trees

I've said this before but very few teams in top level european football play in a way that suits having a high scoring centre forward, there's probably 10-12 players that are roughly what you'd call a traditional number 9 that are excelling across the top european leagues.

In England: Kane, Vardy and Toney as out and out strikers in double figures (and maybe Ronaldo but he's so versatile that I don't think he really counts).
In Spain: Benzema and Joselu (and then a few who I'd say are between being a 9 and 10).
In Italy: Immobile, Abraham, Dzeko and Vlahovic.
In Germany: Lewandowski, Haaland, Schick and Modeste.
In France: Jonathan David I guess but no one else really.

All of those leagues though (except Germany where Lewandowski is godlike) have wingers scoring at a similar rate to the strikers and teams structured to get regular goals from 3-4 different players. This has been the trend for years and it's notable how many of those strikers are towards the end of their careers. The centre forward role is changing and now is about being a pivot player that creates space and draws defenders as much as getting "20 a season".

This is why I'd have preferred someone more versatile than Ings (even though I really rate Ings as a player) and why I often talk about getting goals a unit rather than individuals, if our front 3 players between them get 30-35 a season then we'll be in a good place (assuming we get a reasonable amount from defence and midfield as well), if that means 3-4 players getting 8-9 and then a couple more chipping in a few then I'm fine with that. I'd say this season we're pretty close to making that but have been scuppered by some really dodgy defensive displays at key points.
Excellent points made.A midfield comprising McGinn,Ramsey ,Buendia and possibly Coutinho certainly has goals in it.Watkins and Ings cop some flak at times but they are superior to Immobile .
Our massive problem is  a DCM who can bring resistance and control to the midfield.I think you're being unfair on the defence,the midfield hasn't offered much cover.Just like sharing the goals around,other players must havr defensive responsibilities.Back to the need for a DCM.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2022, 01:50:34 AM »
According to the Daily Fail, we are monitoring Paul Pogba's situation at Man Utd. Hmm.

I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to pay that a week.He might want 500k a week but he plays like someone that should be earning £50 a week.

Paul Pogba is one of the most overrated players there is. If he can get someone to pay him that much or close to it, more fools them.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2022, 02:54:41 AM »

Is someone honestly paid money to come up with that kind of nonsense? 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2022, 07:52:49 AM »
I’ve monitored his position position at Manchester United, and can confirm that he’s shit.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2022, 09:15:04 AM »
Just as there is a dearth of top-class centre halves there’s also not many top strikers under the age of 30 that spring to mind
I mean if you’ve got 50-60 mil to spend on a top quality centre forward who you going to bring in realistically

I was thinking the same pal. I liked the look of Daka that Leicester signed, but he's hardly pulled up trees

I've said this before but very few teams in top level european football play in a way that suits having a high scoring centre forward, there's probably 10-12 players that are roughly what you'd call a traditional number 9 that are excelling across the top european leagues.

In England: Kane, Vardy and Toney as out and out strikers in double figures (and maybe Ronaldo but he's so versatile that I don't think he really counts).
In Spain: Benzema and Joselu (and then a few who I'd say are between being a 9 and 10).

All of those leagues though (except Germany where Lewandowski is godlike) have wingers scoring at a similar rate to the strikers and teams structured to get regular goals from 3-4 different players. This has been the trend for years and it's notable how many of those strikers are towards the end of their careers. The centre forward role is changing and now is about being a pivot player that creates space and draws defenders as much as getting "20 a season".

This is why I'd have preferred someone more versatile than Ings (even though I really rate Ings as a player) and why I often talk about getting goals a unit rather than individuals, if our front 3 players between them get 30-35 a season then we'll be in a good place (assuming we get a reasonable amount from defence and midfield as well), if that means 3-4 players getting 8-9 and then a couple more chipping in a few then I'm fine with that. I'd say this season we're pretty close to making that but have been scuppered by some really dodgy defensive displays at key points.

I agree with your points Paul
Maybe it’s the way of the future, You can see even in our own team Watkins and Ings have netted 12 times whereas Coutinho and Ramsey have netted 10, Not the big difference you would expect

Maybe Gerrard had this in mind when we were linked to Suarez, Even though he is 100 years old he could still play as one in a front three

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2022, 09:16:51 AM »
Definitely a case of attitude which is even more so why any team would be daft to pay him 100k a week let alone 500. On his day he’s tremendous but from what I’ve seen of his career ‘his day’ tends to be once in a while for France and that’s about it.
I’ll always be fond of him for one thing though, leaving Man Utd for free to have them re sign him for £90m and him be shit and I suspect causing aggro in the dressing room.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2022, 09:30:05 AM »

Paul Pogba is one of the most overrated players there is. If he can get someone to pay him that much or close to it, more fools them.

I can never decide if he's overrated or just one of these players who only looks good when he can be arsed.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2022, 09:39:12 AM »
Sometimes he looks effortlessly world class, most the times he look effortless.

I'm on the fence with exactly how good he actually is, but what I do know for certain is letting him go for free and then paying £90m to buy him back was even more stupid than spending £85m on Harry Maguire.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2022, 09:52:29 AM »
And then letting him go for free again.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2022, 10:26:08 AM »
He has a ridiculous range and weight of pass when he can be arsed.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2022, 10:40:39 AM »
A pogba who put in 100% every game and played to instructions would be the perfect centre mid in modern football. You see flashes of it but never gets it right for even a full game. He must be very frustrating to manage and I suspect he doesn't see a problem with how he plays. He reminds me of Balotelli, with all the same problems.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2022, 10:45:54 AM »
Without the ball isn't he worse than Conor Hourihane?

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2022, 10:57:59 AM »
I might be alone in thinking this...maybe we need to strengthen our defensive midfield (DM) position?

Offline nigel

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2022, 11:13:27 AM »

You’ve pretty much described Keinan Davis with that comment, Paul.

At Forest he’s not scoring loads, but bringing goals to others.

I’m not saying he’s the answer, but we know he can perform well vrs Premier league defenders, he just needs to knock in 10-12 goals a season

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal