collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Proposition Joe
[Today at 12:11:22 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 12:10:34 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 12:07:50 PM]

Diego Carlos by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:07:28 PM]

Champions League Contention by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 12:04:52 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 12:03:25 PM]

Robin Olsen by Neil Hawkes
[Today at 11:57:36 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Mister E
[Today at 11:34:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Kids first Villa game  (Read 2482 times)

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
Kids first Villa game
« on: February 17, 2022, 11:10:15 AM »
Taking my boy to his first Villa game. It had been touch and go living in London but having navigated the threat of Chelsea and now Man City (he's even been able to convert a few of his mates!) I now have the pleasure of taking him to the Southampton game.

It's been a while since I made the trip to Villa Park and first as a father.
Any tips to make it as special as possible?
Is waiting for the players to arrive still a thing?
Is there much to do after the game for kids to avoid the crowds a bit?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Kids first Villa game
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 11:22:38 AM »
My lad was overawed for his first, Brentford, and I took him to the Family Fun Zone, the shop, got a ball and kicked it about in the park. Make sure you sort food and drink as queuing is a nightmare.
Afterwards we did the shop again then played football, though it has to be said it was lighter and warmer!

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 11:24:48 AM »
How old is he?

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 11:43:47 AM »
Purpletrousers had a similar query a while back so some more info here. https://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=58157.15

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 11:51:00 AM »
Purpletrousers had a similar query a while back so some more info here. https://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=58157.15
I'd say from what Purpletrousers had written and my experience:

1. The home debut thing wasn't available for the game that we went to (vs Brighton), possibly it still isn't
2. Ear defenders are a good idea.  Didn't think about bringing them for my girl - she found it *very* loud
3. One thing I would say is be mindful of the journey to/from the ground.  I made the mistake of accepting a lift off my partner's parents, who were going to the NEC on the same day.  They were lovely, but it made for a really long day and I think that kind of put her off going again for a bit.  When I take my twin boys - I think one of them in particular will absolutely love it - I'm going to put far more thought in to the travel arrangements.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 12:12:10 PM »
Hopefully you dont get some knob head standing up in front of your boy so that he cannot see the game.

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 12:21:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies and directing me to the other thread.
He's 8 and we're in the middle tier of the Trinity around the tunnel - but good idea on the ear defenders.

Plan was to get there nice and early and park in the Powerleague car park and stroll down from there - are there better places to park coming from London?

Hopefully there's enough to keep him amused in the 'fun zone' for an hour and we get the win!

Offline sid1964

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 12:25:28 PM »
Hope that he has a brilliant day and that it will be the 1st of many visits to Villa park for your son, to see Aston Villa play.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 12:56:31 PM »
Definitely go in the Family Fun Zone - there are loads of activities for kids, and while you might have to queue for a bit everything in there is free.  If you are middle tier in the Trinity then there is also plenty happening out the back of the stand usually (brass band/drummers, football skills etc.), as well as the street food vendors so getting there early you can make a bit of a day of it.  The area where the teams arrive is tarped off at the moment, although you can usually see the players getting off the coaches.

Also, when it is available I would definitely recommend the Villa Debut package.  It is cheap as chips and you get to go round the pitch, sit in the dugouts etc. before kick-off - I enjoyed it more than our daughter to be honest!

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 03:10:31 PM »
My nephew is 8 now and has been a few times and ear defenders are still definitely a thing. We were in the Upper Witton Lane right alongside The Holte End for the Chelsea game at Christmas, and he spent a lot of time with his fingers in his ears looking anxious!

He loves the hotdogs though!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 03:16:49 PM »
They have put tarpaulin and bollards all around the players car park so he wont see the players arrive.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 04:19:35 PM »
When my son was just a young lad he used to love going to Walsall for the annual pre season friendly because it was only a stones throw away from the McDonalds.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 10:50:56 PM »
The Family Fun Zone is a must do. If it is open.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2022, 06:18:19 AM »
Before the match take him to a smoke filled pub, sit him in the corner, with a bag of crisps and a coke. Then get to the ground about 2:45, stand in a queue outside to buy a ticket, or try and get a spare off a tout for less than face value. Once you are in, missing all that pre-match nonsense, tell him he can’t move until half-time. Then he can have a cup of tea from a flask, with a nip of whisky if it’s cold.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2022, 06:20:26 AM »
The Family Fun Zone is a must do. If it is open.

Agreed. It’s been open every game this season so see no reason why it shouldn’t be.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal