collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bottle Job  (Read 9015 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Bottle Job
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2022, 05:23:40 PM »
I didn’t like stuff thrown at the players, but i also didn’t like our player lying down on the pitch like he’d been shot. Also lets not act all holier than thou because I’ve seen our fans throw stuff onto pitches as well. It’s just things that happen in the heat of the moment really. Not good but not the end of the world either.

Really? I’d say it’s a awful thing to do at a football match and they should be banned for life. Why would they be play acting? What would the point of that be.

As for celebrating near their crowd, I don’t think that was the original intention and the players shouldn’t be blamed. They are caught in the moment. If people can’t handle it and have to resort to throwing bottles or whatever at them they really shouldn’t be allowed to be there.

Agreed. And it's why things like having the refs giving their VAR decisions audibly to football fans like they do in rugby will almost certainly never happen. Even if they're only a small proportion there are still too many arseholes at football matches.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2022, 05:44:46 PM »
Straw poll - if it happened near you would you tell the police who did it?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2022, 05:56:02 PM »
Fans spend 90 minutes calling players wankers and the second a player gives them a little wink or a smirk they lose their shit. Grown men throwing coins at people, what an embarrassment.
maybe that sums up a rather entitled major of the British population by the looks of things.

I liked calling Deeney a wanker at VP, then found it fairly amusing when he gave a bit back after scoring, then even more amusing chanting "Deeney, what's the score" at the end. Then at full time he acknowledged us (I think), we all had a little chuckle and went to the pub for a pint.

Aye, it's pantomime more than anything else.

With Deeney's dubious choice of team to support, I get why he does it. Less so why that Brentford bellend earlier in the season needed to make the zulu sign at the Holte.

Deeney seemed to have more concern for us going down in 2016 and the impact it would have on non matchday staff than our own players did. So he went up in my estimation after that.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2022, 06:02:58 PM »

I'd like to think I would.

Although at Anfield this season some sort of drink was thrown at their fans after they scored. Open bottle because there was a bit of liquid when it landed. Didn't hit anyone so no harm done. Didn't see who did it but if it was the person next to me what would I have done? Honestly I think I probably would have muttered under my breath and ignored it.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2022, 06:12:11 PM »
Fans spend 90 minutes calling players wankers and the second a player gives them a little wink or a smirk they lose their shit.
I am sorry but players have NO right to have a go at fans. Fans in the ground pay their money, players are there to perform. However there is no way fans should be throwing stuff to harm players.

I think that’s a bit precious too be honest. I’ve got no problem with players giving a bit back to fans, especially given the level of abuse they’re subject to. If fans can’t handle getting it back they shouldn’t dish it out in the first place.

Very precious. I would absolutely rejoice in giving it back to fans who had hammered me all game. Might pull out a 'Your mom' joke.

Offline Rory

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2022, 06:14:39 PM »

If I was asked, or there was an appeal for witnesses, absolutely. I doubt I'd go out of my way to report it at the game, though.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2022, 06:15:53 PM »
So because fans contribute a small percentage of their own teams wages, opposition players can't cheer or celebrate in their general direction? What a load of nonsense.
I don't think I said that in my original reply. You need to read that. I said PLAYERS HAVE NO RIGHT TO HAVE A GO AT FANS. And my comment was general not about yesterday.

Yeah I read it mate. Depends what you mean by "HAVE A GO"? If you mean cupping ears, fist pump, shushing etc then my point remains the same.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2022, 06:16:20 PM »

If I was asked, or there was an appeal for witnesses, absolutely. I doubt I'd go out of my way to report it at the game, though.

I would. It's fucking disgraceful and assault on an innocent person going about their job.

Offline Rory

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2022, 06:19:19 PM »

I would. It's fucking disgraceful and assault on an innocent person going about their job.

I quite agree, just being realistic about how I imagine I'd respond.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2022, 06:19:37 PM »
So because fans contribute a small percentage of their own teams wages, opposition players can't cheer or celebrate in their general direction? What a load of nonsense.
I don't think I said that in my original reply. You need to read that. I said PLAYERS HAVE NO RIGHT TO HAVE A GO AT FANS. And my comment was general not about yesterday.

Yeah I read it mate. Depends what you mean by "HAVE A GO"? If you mean cupping ears, fist pump, shushing etc then my point remains the same.
I think  that's fine. It's the stuff from there onwards to where it ended up with Cantona that's not right. :)

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2022, 06:25:10 PM »
Fans spend 90 minutes calling players wankers and the second a player gives them a little wink or a smirk they lose their shit. Grown men throwing coins at people, what an embarrassment.
maybe that sums up a rather entitled major of the British population by the looks of things.

I liked calling Deeney a wanker at VP, then found it fairly amusing when he gave a bit back after scoring, then even more amusing chanting "Deeney, what's the score" at the end. Then at full time he acknowledged us (I think), we all had a little chuckle and went to the pub for a pint.

This.

I too gave Deeney some in that 2-1 game a couple of Januarys ago, and i thought to myself, fair play to him when he gave it back after scoring, it was quite funny the way he did it. My ambivalence was obviously helped by us scoring a last minute winner.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2022, 06:29:54 PM »

I think  that's fine. It's the stuff from there onwards to where it ended up with Cantona that's not right. :)

Fair enough. Bit of a leap to go from discussing Cash fist pumping to someone hypothetically launching themselves into the crowd though.

Offline nigel

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2022, 07:21:18 PM »

Definitely

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2022, 07:31:26 PM »

Absolutely.

Online The Edge

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2022, 07:45:47 PM »
I didn’t like stuff thrown at the players, but i also didn’t like our player lying down on the pitch like he’d been shot. Also lets not act all holier than thou because I’ve seen our fans throw stuff onto pitches as well. It’s just things that happen in the heat of the moment really. Not good but not the end of the world either.
A full bottle of pop with the lid on hurled from the stands would bloody hurt if it whacked you on the head so he had every right to go down. It's way worse than "not good" it's a very worrying trend that has crept into the game again recently. It needs to be taken seriously and the guilty ones given a lengthy ban. It is also a criminal offence for which he should be arrested. If someone threw a bottle at your head in the street you'd want them dealt with by the law surely?

Nah, he'd just get up and walk on. Just one of those things isn't it?
Your comment really made me chuckle. Or lol as the kids say.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal