collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Everton 0 v Aston Villa 1 Post Match Thread  (Read 22015 times)

Offline MattW

Re: Everton 0 v Aston Villa 1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 24, 2022, 11:47:52 AM »
I love ollie's energy and he's vital to how we play, but he's not a natural finisher, and i'm not sure if he ever will be (can that really be taught?). I'd be sticking with him for now but ultimately i fear an upgrade will be needed.

It didn't take long for Gerrard to decide that we needed an upgrade in the left back department, and if Watkins and Ings don't show a marked improvement, I think they'll be next. 5 goals at this stage of the season for a £30m striker is rubbish.

Yes. I'm certain Gerrard will be looking to bring in an upgrade over summer.

It was interesting that was the first time Watkins has been substituted since he arrived. Sure, it was basically to bring on fresh legs to chase Everton's defenders, but still.

Over the season and a half here, Watkins has scored goals in clumps around droughts. He seems to lose confidence quite readily.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2022, 12:41:21 PM »
Good win, but a poor game, Cash again played well, waiting to see what Digne will bring to the team.

Coutinho looked miles off the pace of the game, I think the ball boy behind the goal touched the ball more than he did!
Yet the ball boy didn't bring out a brilliant save from Pickford after a  header.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2022, 06:30:21 PM »
Good win, but a poor game, Cash again played well, waiting to see what Digne will bring to the team.

Coutinho looked miles off the pace of the game, I think the ball boy behind the goal touched the ball more than he did!
Yet the ball boy didn't bring out a brilliant save from Pickford after a  header.

But he was half a mile offside.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2022, 07:42:49 PM »
Coutinho headed the ball that Pickford saved, which led to the corner from which Bunedia scored?

Offline Villatillidie1982

« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2022, 08:34:07 PM »
I think Ollie's work rate is such that you can forgive his slightly iffy technique, although he does occasionally show great skill, so he clearly has it in him.
I don't think that Ollie will play 62 games for England.

Strikers are judged on their goals though, otherwise you end up with another Heskey on your hands.

I don't think Watkins is anywhere near that standard of Heskey at his best.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2022, 09:16:40 PM »
Again found myself thinking Watkins isn’t good enough.

An off day for sure. That’s all I’m putting it down to. Put it this way, he’s no worse than Calvert-Lewin who West Ham want.
But how many off days can he have?  His finishing is woeful

It’s not woeful. When he’s in form he’s a decent finisher - not a great one, but good enough in combination with the other parts of his game. He just needs to get his form and confidence back.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2022, 10:13:04 PM »
Again found myself thinking Watkins isn’t good enough.

An off day for sure. That’s all I’m putting it down to. Put it this way, he’s no worse than Calvert-Lewin who West Ham want.
But how many off days can he have?  His finishing is woeful

It’s not woeful. When he’s in form he’s a decent finisher - not a great one, but good enough in combination with the other parts of his game. He just needs to get his form and confidence back.

Yep, agreed he's a decent finisher but he's a bit streaky and right now he's struggling for form. To give him credit he's still doing everything else and makes us a better team with his work rate so he gets a bit more patience for me.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2022, 02:39:07 AM »
Coutinho headed the ball that Pickford saved, which led to the corner from which Bunedia scored?

Correct.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
  • GM : PCM
« Reply #218 on: January 25, 2022, 04:43:58 AM »
It's always nice to get a dirty win. We suffer enough dirty defeats, so...

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2022, 12:18:32 AM »
Presumably, Gerrard will be guided on a summer striker purchase depending how well Ollie and Danny do before May is out. At least he seems to realise that they can't play together.

We also have three strikers out on loan atm and their progress will be monitored closely.

As for the game, thought we moved the ball around really well at times in the first half. We did very little that was constructive after the break which was disappointing but as others have said, we toughed it out when the Toffees went full-metal Wimbledon.

Going back to the first half, I really enjoy watching Jacob running through the midfield with the ball. What a player!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal