collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Everton 0 v Aston Villa 1 Post Match Thread  (Read 22018 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Everton 0 v Aston Villa 1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2022, 02:48:47 PM »
If Big Dunc long ball is what Everton fans have so desperately yearned for then by god they are in big big trouble. Great win and lovely to do the double over them, something we frequently did in the 90s.
I think at this point they'll probably appreciate a genuine shift. But there's a big disparity between their standout players, and the gap fillers. They've made dreadful signings in the last 5 years.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2022, 02:51:09 PM »
As bad as Everton have been, they aren't far behind us. Only four points if they win the game in hand.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2022, 02:53:39 PM »
Because I'm shocking at arithmetic, I set my alarm for 8.30. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2022, 02:54:16 PM »
Villa won yeah!!!

(The above contribution from my nephew Jasper on his first contribution to Heroes & Villans - straight in the deep end on The Post Match Thread!)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 03:07:27 PM by amfy »

Offline achilles

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2022, 02:56:08 PM »
Terrible game but feels like a really important win for us.

A bit worrying we put our best possible first 11 on the pitch but could not play any football. In mitigation, I think very few teams would have been able to do much better. Everton were really fired up and physical today, for obvious reasons.

I think the circumstances dictated the type of game it was going to be, absolutely awful from a football point of view but we won which is really the only positive to take from the game. Quickly forgotten and we move on to hopefully better games!

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2022, 02:59:20 PM »
Because I'm shocking at arithmetic, I set my alarm for 8.30. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

This is a good website that should help...
https://worldsoccertalk.com/premier-league-tv-schedule/

Offline NorthYvillan

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2022, 02:59:39 PM »
Quote from Tyrone Mings post-match

Aston Villa's Tyrone Mings on Match of the Day: "This is a very proud club and they have obviously been going through a difficult patch, we knew the change of manager would give them a bit of inspiration and the only way they could hurt us really is if we let them play to the crowd's hand.

"The first half was pleasing, managing to diffuse that. It wasn't the greatest football game but was a pleasure to be here and win. They had to come out and try and win the game, we had to be aware the game was going to change, stand up to the challenge, show a different side to ourselves.

"We have played some excellent football and taken on board what the manager wants, but we have been a little bit soft and the only thng you can do is roll your sleeves up."

On Villa players being hit by a bottle: "They did and it was disgusting really, it is about all they have got... they tried to make it ugly, tried to make it an intimidating atmosphere and we came and got the three points. That will hopefully be dealt with but all you can do is get up and carry on."

"I am really excited, I love being a part of this club, love being captain, love everything this club stands for both on and off the pitch. I think we have made some brilliant signings, a fantastic squad. The club is going in the right direciton, we have stability, owners that want to take the club to the next level and players that want to push each other. It is a pleasure to be a part of."

What you want to hear from the captiain
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 03:02:33 PM by NorthYvillan »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2022, 03:04:51 PM »
Excellent win!

1st half we were easily the better side. Played all thr football and went close with Watkins and the free kick. I cannot think of anything of note they created, beyond a Clavet-Lewin header that nearly went our for a throw in.

2nd half they changed changed system slightly and decided that to stop us playing football, they'd stop the ball being on the deck.

They're a huge side, which made Emi's goal all the better, but they won so many 50/50s in the air and swarmed for knock downs.

It was dire, agricultural, rubbish and we couldn't get a grip of the ball, so it kept coming back.

It was very refreshing to see us roll our sleeves up and grind it out. Emi made one save of note, but we did well to restrict them. 1 chance from open play.

Pity we were bullied a bit physically in midfield and couldn't take a grip of the game. If we'd done better with that chance at the start of the 2nd half, we might have had a more comfortable time of it.

My son's 1st away goal and win! We were absolutely choked by the pyro mind.

The Countinho song is class!

Watkins, Countinho, both neither at the races. Need that brute in midfield to give us control.

Great win though.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2022, 03:06:01 PM »

This is a good website that should help...
https://worldsoccertalk.com/premier-league-tv-schedule/

I appreciate that, thank you, but no website on earth can stop me being thick!

Offline Randy Gurner

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2022, 03:06:37 PM »
The bottle throwing incident was a disgrace. It’s only a matter of time before a player gets seriously injured. It’d be so easy to stamp this out if the offending supporters team were docked 3 points and fined.

Unbelievably, one of the commentators insinuated that the villa players shouldn’t have celebrated nr the Everton supporters.

Buendia & Digne were great today. UTV
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 03:09:13 PM by Randy Gurner »

Offline ventnorVillain

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2022, 03:07:28 PM »
Good to see us grind out the win. Following the investment by the owners it is up to the players and the manager to turn us from nearly good to really good. There is some way to go in this regard and it is clear that we are something of a work in progress. When we won the league in 1981 there were a lot of games where we had to grind it out there weren't too many games where we won at a canter, that's just the way of things sometimes. Enjoy your weekend everyone. Time to crack open the Aldi single malt. :)

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2022, 03:08:20 PM »
A great win against opposition that we knew beforehand were going to be up for it.  Not having BT I didn't see the game but it sounds as though we fought fire with fire in the second half, something we never seemed to be able to do very often in the past.  Well done Villa.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2022, 03:13:06 PM »
Job done, thought we stood up well to such a direct approach.  I thought that back pass for a corner aside that Mings was excellent, attacked everything and got some vital blocks in.  Suspect Konsa wasn’t 100%.

McGinn started on fire then disappeared & Watkins seemed very slow whenever the ball came his way

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2022, 03:13:45 PM »
A better team would have got back into that.

Alternatively we can say under Smith we would have lost that match this season. Based on the statistical evidence.
Credit to Gerrard he's had one more game that Smith and improved the defence immeasurably.
Smith conceded 20 goals in 11 matches
Gerrard 12 in 12 matches.

Him and his coaching team have certainly made us more compact and resilient. A 1-0 from a set piece is kind of where we are at till we improve in the attacking play noticeably open play , shots on goal and accuracy both final pass and shot at goal
It's 14 goals under Gerrard now with one more game played than Smith
And 14 goals before he came under Dean.
So there has been no major goal scoring improvement but then that's been noticeable

The clear step up has been in defence and may have to get use to these sorts of performances and results- wins though!

Of course we won 3-0 in home fixture memorable display by Bailey and the team second half with plenty of pace and excitement. It's a different style now and far more likely to hold on to a one nil win or keep a clean sheet as that's the first priority under Gerrard in defence.

I think that will evolve but very pleased with the win as it was a typical Gerrard style win showed all the charcteristic and what's thus far been the case this season even before him and under Dean that a set play has aided us getting a win

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2022, 03:22:26 PM »
Quote from Tyrone Mings post-match

Aston Villa's Tyrone Mings on Match of the Day: "This is a very proud club and they have obviously been going through a difficult patch, we knew the change of manager would give them a bit of inspiration and the only way they could hurt us really is if we let them play to the crowd's hand.

"The first half was pleasing, managing to diffuse that. It wasn't the greatest football game but was a pleasure to be here and win. They had to come out and try and win the game, we had to be aware the game was going to change, stand up to the challenge, show a different side to ourselves.

"We have played some excellent football and taken on board what the manager wants, but we have been a little bit soft and the only thng you can do is roll your sleeves up."

On Villa players being hit by a bottle: "They did and it was disgusting really, it is about all they have got... they tried to make it ugly, tried to make it an intimidating atmosphere and we came and got the three points. That will hopefully be dealt with but all you can do is get up and carry on."

"I am really excited, I love being a part of this club, love being captain, love everything this club stands for both on and off the pitch. I think we have made some brilliant signings, a fantastic squad. The club is going in the right direciton, we have stability, owners that want to take the club to the next level and players that want to push each other. It is a pleasure to be a part of."

What you want to hear from the captiain

Brilliant, like he was today under a fuckload of pressure

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal