collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Robin Olsen  (Read 78006 times)

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Robin Olsen
« Reply #555 on: January 12, 2023, 03:44:21 PM »
In the early seventies Villa had two goalkeepers one admittedly on loan, Tommy Hughes and Evan Williams who was the loanee, now if you think Olsen is bad, which he is, you should have seen this pair.

There was a clip on the old 'History of Aston Villa' video that was from Match of the Day around then, home to Notts County. Our keeper saves a penalty and Barry Davies can't believe it in the commentary because he's been hopeless the rest of the match, was that Tommy Hughes?

I have that video, it's great.

Offline trinityoap

« Reply #556 on: January 12, 2023, 04:40:52 PM »
Didn't Evan Williams go on to play for Celtic in a European Cup Final? I remember the Tommy Hughes save. He had been useless all game as the commentator said. If he had bent down to tie his laces he would have fallen over.

Online dave shelley

« Reply #557 on: January 12, 2023, 05:20:10 PM »
Didn't Evan Williams go on to play for Celtic in a European Cup Final? I remember the Tommy Hughes save. He had been useless all game as the commentator said. If he had bent down to tie his laces he would have fallen over.

Yes.  European Cup final Vs Ajax lost 2-1.  Was still shit for us.

Offline tricky59

« Reply #558 on: January 12, 2023, 05:45:59 PM »

Think it was vs Feyenoord  Dave.
Tommy Hughes was replaced by Jim Cumbes and it made quite a difference as in his first game we won 6-0 at Oldham. A watershed moment in Villa's history I think.

Online dave shelley

« Reply #559 on: January 12, 2023, 05:57:22 PM »

Think it was vs Feyenoord  Dave.
Tommy Hughes was replaced by Jim Cumbes and it made quite a difference as in his first game we won 6-0 at Oldham. A watershed moment in Villa's history I think.

Indeed it was, I've still got Rotterdam on my mind see. 😉

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #560 on: January 12, 2023, 06:46:04 PM »
It's a good point that there should be plenty of quality, young goalies who would come here in no small part to work with Emi.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #561 on: January 13, 2023, 11:15:28 AM »
Emery mentioned Jed Steer being back in training yesterday, I'd rather him in net with young Marschall as our 3rd choice.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #562 on: January 13, 2023, 12:35:19 PM »
In the early seventies Villa had two goalkeepers one admittedly on loan, Tommy Hughes and Evan Williams who was the loanee, now if you think Olsen is bad, which he is, you should have seen this pair.

There was a clip on the old 'History of Aston Villa' video that was from Match of the Day around then, home to Notts County. Our keeper saves a penalty and Barry Davies can't believe it in the commentary because he's been hopeless the rest of the match, was that Tommy Hughes?

Yep. And that was his last game for us. The ups and downs of the life of a goalkeeper.

The penalty was from that dirty little shit Don Masson.  It was so bad I could’ve saved it at my current age.

When Masson did a sneaky follow through on the keeper Ian Ross I think started loudly remonstrating with the referee.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 12:38:00 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #563 on: January 14, 2023, 02:58:36 AM »
It was George Curtis, I Believe.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #564 on: January 14, 2023, 03:02:00 AM »

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #565 on: February 13, 2023, 12:04:10 PM »
Telling Olsen wasn't even in the squad. I was wondering if there was going to be an issue with Martinez, but maybe Olsen has the issue. 

Clearly, he is not showing up to be good enough for training, and we are giving TWO young goalkeepers match day experience on the bench ahead of him.

He's not the solution in any way next season, and an experienced goalkeeper or two need to be signed depending on Martinez's position at the end of the season. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #566 on: February 13, 2023, 12:06:16 PM »
Telling Olsen wasn't even in the squad. I was wondering if there was to be an Issue with Martinez but maybe Olsen has the issue.
Clearly not showing up to be good enough for training and we are giving TWO goal keepers match day experience on bench ahead of him
He's not the solution in any way next season and an experienced goal keeper or two need to be signed depending on Martinez position end of season.

Even more strange, he was at the game yesterday, in full training gear.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #567 on: February 13, 2023, 09:57:52 PM »
Full kit wanker

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #568 on: February 25, 2023, 10:41:51 AM »
I wonder what role he'll be undertaking today at Everton. If he hasn't totally fallen out of favour, it's not even out of the realms he could play today

It's interesting to note that Carlo Ancelotti took him to Everton in 2020–21, where he spent one season and played 7 games on loan.
Due to Pickford's subpar play in a few games, he took Pickford's place.
At the time, it was seen as some kind of rivalry to encourage Pickford to perform and compete to his best.
Maybe that's what Emery will do with Martinez and Olsen for the rest of the season to keep Martinez alert.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #569 on: February 25, 2023, 10:46:30 AM »
I wonder what role he'll be undertaking today at Everton. If he hasn't totally fallen out of favour, it's not even out of the realms he could play today

What on earth makes you think that?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal