collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Robin Olsen  (Read 78079 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Robin Olsen
« Reply #540 on: January 11, 2023, 11:03:19 PM »
Listening to thevillapodcast yesterday, they said, correctly that Olsen is a keeper who doesn’t make saves, and that a shot on target = a goal.

Depressingly accurate.

Carson was the other that stood out for me in that respect.

Or "Bunny"....there was definitely one cup game against some lower league team he played in where every shot remotely near the corner of the goal went in.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #541 on: January 12, 2023, 03:01:36 AM »

Carson did pretty well for us, I thought, until that England match, after which it was all down hill for the thin Chris Moyles lookalike.

Was just about to post something similar, rarely can one match have had such a detrimental effect on a player's career. Mind you, he's still on the books for Man City as their 3rd keeper, so he's making about the same contribution as Grealish I suppose.

07-08 he was excellent - 11 clean sheets, looked like a very dependable keeper. Then he got called up for England and after that game was never the same again.

Left us. Retired.  Signed for the Albion, I think played for Wigan and has since been keeping Man City’s “home grown” quota up. Funny old career.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #542 on: January 12, 2023, 03:04:28 AM »
With Carson if there was a free kick or he faced shot within 30yds of goal it was likely going in.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #543 on: January 12, 2023, 08:23:26 AM »

Carson did pretty well for us, I thought, until that England match, after which it was all down hill for the thin Chris Moyles lookalike.

Was just about to post something similar, rarely can one match have had such a detrimental effect on a player's career. Mind you, he's still on the books for Man City as their 3rd keeper, so he's making about the same contribution as Grealish I suppose.

07-08 he was excellent - 11 clean sheets, looked like a very dependable keeper. Then he got called up for England and after that game was never the same again.

Left us. Retired.  Signed for the Albion, I think played for Wigan and has since been keeping Man City’s “home grown” quota up. Funny old career.

I've always wondered about how those keepers who settle for years of being third choice at a big club really feel.  I presume they get decent money to compensate them for the fact they are never likely to play, but surely there must be some ink
to still want to play. 

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #544 on: January 12, 2023, 08:35:05 AM »
It's not going to be easy to get a top class back up keeper but it's become a matter of urgency. I would hope that Unai has made this one of his top priorities. The fact that we are out of both domestic cup competitions is largely down to blunders by Olsen. He's got to go.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #545 on: January 12, 2023, 08:43:45 AM »

I've always wondered about how those keepers who settle for years of being third choice at a big club really feel.  I presume they get decent money to compensate them for the fact they are never likely to play, but surely there must be some ink
to still want to play.
Can't find it now, but Rene Gilmartin did an excellent interview about being Watford's 3rd choice keeper. Basically said he had to learn to enjoy it for what it was - you're getting a view in to professional football that most people could only dream of, and you've still managed to become a professional footballer which is an achievement in itself. Plus you've created an amazing opportunity - you train until 1pm, so he ended up doing good coaching exams, commentated on their games for the club radio station, did a load of community outreach stuff ... basically approached it as if his job was doing random jobs around the football club, one of which was standing in as a goalkeeper on emergencies.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #546 on: January 12, 2023, 08:48:35 AM »
I see. So if we up Olsen's radio work and community outreach commitments enough, maybe he won't have time for the stand in keeper bit.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #547 on: January 12, 2023, 09:25:08 AM »
And ultimately reestablish the Corinthian Casuals principle that it was unsporting to have a goal keeper at all. If your opponents had played so jolly hard that they deserve a goal they should get it.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #548 on: January 12, 2023, 09:32:08 AM »
Does Carson get medals?

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #549 on: January 12, 2023, 12:36:04 PM »
In the early seventies Villa had two goalkeepers one admittedly on loan, Tommy Hughes and Evan Williams who was the loanee, now if you think Olsen is bad, which he is, you should have seen this pair.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #550 on: January 12, 2023, 01:23:43 PM »
In the early seventies Villa had two goalkeepers one admittedly on loan, Tommy Hughes and Evan Williams who was the loanee, now if you think Olsen is bad, which he is, you should have seen this pair.

There was a clip on the old 'History of Aston Villa' video that was from Match of the Day around then, home to Notts County. Our keeper saves a penalty and Barry Davies can't believe it in the commentary because he's been hopeless the rest of the match, was that Tommy Hughes?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #551 on: January 12, 2023, 01:29:15 PM »

There was a clip on the old 'History of Aston Villa' video that was from Match of the Day around then, home to Notts County. Our keeper saves a penalty and Barry Davies can't believe it in the commentary because he's been hopeless the rest of the match, was that Tommy Hughes?

Yep. And that was his last game for us. The ups and downs of the life of a goalkeeper.

Offline wince

« Reply #552 on: January 12, 2023, 03:07:41 PM »
To think as I collected my Merlin stickers when I was 10 Spinky was our back-up keeper to Bozzer. Do we have no alternative to Robin Get stealer of wages?

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #553 on: January 12, 2023, 03:19:54 PM »
It’s tough to get another keeper in who’s obviously going to be an initial understudy to Martinez. I’d go for a young keeper with promise who can be developed into an eventual replacement and I guess that’s would be how you‘d sell it to them.
We can’t be put in a position again where our replacement is that bad we’d rather play rush keeper. I don’t normally wade in with remarks like this but Olsen is nowhere near good enough.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #554 on: January 12, 2023, 03:41:37 PM »
Listening to thevillapodcast yesterday, they said, correctly that Olsen is a keeper who doesn’t make saves, and that a shot on target = a goal.

Depressingly accurate.

It reminds me of Nyland vs Forest. 5 shots on target, 5 goals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal