collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lucas Digne - Signed  (Read 123251 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Lucas Digne - Signed
« Reply #375 on: January 22, 2022, 11:14:49 PM »
Must admit I was a bit surprised at the vitriol directed towards Luka Dean today.

Fans giving stick to an ex player is as old as the game itself.

But this looks like a scenario where the player himself didn't want to go but a shitehouse of a manager wanted him out.  The message he posted when he left was almost too fawning; love affair, once a Blue always a Blue and all that shite.

Their loss looks like our substantial gain, so fuck 'em.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #376 on: January 22, 2022, 11:18:00 PM »
Must admit I was a bit surprised at the vitriol directed towards Luka Dean today.

Apparently during the week he referred to his replacement at Everton as being from the Ukraine.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #377 on: February 13, 2022, 06:59:28 PM »
I know he's only had 4 games so far, and he must have something to make the French team, but there hasn't been a lot yet to justify the large fee.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #378 on: February 13, 2022, 07:04:03 PM »
Still think we should've kept Targett. No real competition at LB now.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #379 on: February 13, 2022, 07:05:32 PM »

But this looks like a scenario where the player himself didn't want to go but a shitehouse of a manager wanted him out.  The message he posted when he left was almost too fawning; love affair, once a Blue always a Blue and all that shite.

It's Lucas Digne.....

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #380 on: February 14, 2022, 11:01:39 AM »

Apparently during the week he referred to his replacement at Everton as being from the Ukraine.

Tweeted about popping to ASDA's for a loaf and going to Mataland for a fleece, the bastard.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #381 on: February 14, 2022, 11:04:05 AM »
I worry about him defensively, don't think he has the instincts.

Offline frank black

« Reply #382 on: February 20, 2022, 11:23:41 AM »
When is he going rip his latex mask off and reveal that he’s really just Matt Targett in disguise?

I’m half joking because I believe he’s a much better player, but we are not seeing anything significant from him on the attacking front yet. He was open for the pass a lot yesterday but didn’t really use the space well.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #383 on: February 20, 2022, 11:35:07 AM »
He's a very good player, but so far his signing smacks of tinkering with a position that wasn't really a problem, or at least wasn't the most critical area of the pitch that we needed to upgrade. I'd rather have kept Targett and put the £25m towards Bissouma.  Our recruitment team starting with Lange need to have a long hard look at themselves. So far we've put in derisory bids for Ward-Prowse, Smith Rowe and Bissouma and come away with none of them.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #384 on: February 20, 2022, 11:45:00 AM »
The more I see it the more I'm shocked by his doing absolutely nothing whatsoever to prevent the cross that led to the goal, or put any kind of pressure on the player in possession.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #385 on: February 20, 2022, 12:19:53 PM »
Is this guy really an upgrade?
Defensively I have my doubts. Offensively too early to say.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #386 on: February 20, 2022, 12:21:20 PM »
I think he is a good player and an upgrade on Targett, especially in an attacking capacity.

I didn't watch a lot of him at Blue Scouse, but what I did see suggests that he used to carry the ball forwards at pace, instigating attacks from deeper positions.

Under SG we set up differently.

When in possession, typically with the ball between the two centre defenders, the fullbacks are advanced and the wide midfield players drop into the fullback positions to either carry the ball or hit cross-field passes to switch play, i.e., SJM tends to look for a long cross-field pass or short it Emi II or Coutinho and Ramsey more typically drives forward with the ball.

So our fullbacks are high and wide often receiving long passes with the intent/hope they are 1v1 with the opposition fullback and can create something. It's why we are seeing many fewer instances of Cash carrying the ball forward as he is receiving it higher up the pitch.

I am confident Digne has the quality to do well, though I do think we are asking him to do something slightly different to his previous club, so a period of adjustment is likely. UTV.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #387 on: February 20, 2022, 12:32:55 PM »
He's a very good player, but so far his signing smacks of tinkering with a position that wasn't really a problem, or at least wasn't the most critical area of the pitch that we needed to upgrade. I'd rather have kept Targett and put the £25m towards Bissouma.  Our recruitment team starting with Lange need to have a long hard look at themselves. So far we've put in derisory bids for Ward-Prowse, Smith Rowe and Bissouma and come away with none of them.

I completely agree. And that position should have been our priority last summer.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #388 on: February 20, 2022, 04:21:02 PM »

It's Lucas Digne.....

Yeah, I know.

He's a very good player, but so far his signing smacks of tinkering with a position that wasn't really a problem, or at least wasn't the most critical area of the pitch that we needed to upgrade.

Agree.  Had we signed a pacey, up and coming left back/ left wing back for £10-15 million, we'd have been bringing in a player to give us a different option. But not one that automatically tells Targett his days are numbered.   

Signing a French international for that fee and on those wages made it clear he wasn't in SG's long term plans. And that's absolutely fine - save there will be games where we need a more traditonal full-back. We now don't have that option.

Also, when you have one attacking fullback in the mould of Cash, it's unusual to have one the other side doing the exact same thing. For balance, you'd usually want one who sits in more and one who bombs forward.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #389 on: February 20, 2022, 09:37:21 PM »
""Agree.  Had we signed a pacey, up and coming left back/ left wing back for £10-15 million, we'd have been bringing in a player to give us a different option. But not one that automatically tells Target this days are numbered.   

Signing a French international for that fee and on those wages made it clear he wasn't in SG's long term plans. And that's absolutely fine - save there will be games where we need a more traditonal full-back. We now don't have that option.

Also, when you have one attacking fullback in the mould of Cash, it's unusual to have one the other side doing the exact same thing. For balance, you'd usually want one who sits in more and one who bombs forward.""

I did expect a better defender though - not seen that although he is good bombing forward.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal