collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester City post match thread  (Read 26741 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester City post match thread
« Reply #180 on: December 06, 2021, 12:17:35 PM »
There’s control and there’s a tenth of a second with the ball under your palm. It’s bollocks.

It only looked under control on the VAR freeze frame. The ref should have known that. The forward should get the benefit of the doubt in that situation. Bar the keeper complaining about his finger I didn't see too many complaints from the Leicester defenders. They knew he made a mess of it.

Speaking of Schmeichel, I thought he was dreadful for our three goals yesterday. For a relatively big unit he seems reluctant to leave his line to take physical contact. No such worries for Martinez who seems to relish it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2021, 12:18:51 PM »
He was a disgrace for our second goal. Woeful, the massive wazzock.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2021, 12:22:31 PM »
He got the Bob Wilson treatment and it got to him. It was very funny, I was singing it doing the dishes when I got home.
He looked even more of a prick with his response to the interviewer after the game.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2021, 12:23:37 PM »
He got the Bob Wilson treatment and it got to him. It was very funny, I was singing it doing the dishes when I got home.
He looked even more of a prick with his response to the interviewer after the game.

Haven't seen that yet. I think he comes a cross like a massive dick most of the time, to be honest.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »
Leicester should be immediately relegated several tiers just for those disgraceful pink socks that they were sporting yesterday. 

Online LeeB

« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2021, 12:32:35 PM »

Haven't seen that yet. I think he comes a cross like a massive dick most of the time, to be honest.

The apple never falls far from the tree.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2021, 12:32:44 PM »
I quite like Schmeichal normally but yesterdays shithousing was very bad. If you watch carefully he didn't feel hand pain until after he saw the ball go in from his fumble. If it genuinely hurt that much he would have shown his pain as an immediate reaction.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2021, 12:36:36 PM »
I can't dislike Schmeichel even though he was a wanker for the way he behaved for the disallowed perfectly good goal and the subsequent stick he got was fully deserved. All harmless fun and fully deserved. He made it worse for himself when standing on the 6 yard line looking at the fans as the linesman checked the nets.  That was an odd thing to do and what ever it was meant to achieve backfired on him as he seemed to lose a bit of composure as the crowd baited him further.

Online LeeB

« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2021, 12:37:38 PM »
I quite like Schmeichal normally but yesterdays shithousing was very bad. If you watch carefully he didn't feel hand pain until after he saw the ball go in from his fumble. If it genuinely hurt that much he would have shown his pain as an immediate reaction.

Unless he was shot with an invisible ray gun it's hard to see where the pain would come from, as no contact is made with his hand.

I don't watch American football, but do they still have someone lying down with a finger on the ball for field goals? And do they writhe in agony for 5 minutes after each attempt?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »
My missus thought the "you fat bastard" chants at him all game were the height of hilarity.

You've set her a low bar, mate!

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #190 on: December 06, 2021, 12:50:39 PM »
The ironic thing is if JJ had made his challenge a fraction of a second later, Schmeichel would have probably lost control of the ball and the goal would have stood. The good thing is it didn't matter in the end and it certainly galvanized the crowd, atmosphere 2nd half was great.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2021, 12:52:25 PM »

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »

He will rise from the grave to moan about the incorrect spelling of his name. 

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2021, 12:54:30 PM »
Died of a hurty finger.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2021, 01:02:27 PM »
Yep.  Insisted that ball was grounded even though Warnock proved it was actually off the ground.  Gallagher argued that Ransey was challenging for the ball before striking which wasn't allowed.  No mention of the exception which is the real issue.  No one disputes that the rule says that one hand on the ball in contact with the ground is dead.  To just ignore the exception however is a cop out.  I know we went on to win the game but it still pisses me off that there seems to be a "its only Villa" attitude.  I suspect Mr Gerrard will put an end to that.

The hand or foot on the ball rule is clearly there to stop people kicking it from under their foot when they're getting ready to make a goal kick or whatever. When they've barely touched it after the ball has hit them or they've made a save, the exception "except when the bule rebounds from the goalkeeper or when the goal keeper makes a save" clearly mean that the ball is there to be won.

Using the definition applied by the twat ref and VAR, if there's a bad back pass from a player, and a striker nips in and robs it off the keeper, then the goal would have to be disallowed.

Totally agree and that's the reason for the exception rule, like you say the rule was in place to stop players knocking it out the keepers hand when taking a goal kick etc.

This feels similar to the Manchester City game when Rodri was returning from an offside position when he dispossessed Mings.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal