collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:55:46 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ian.
[Today at 07:50:17 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:39:20 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by nigel
[Today at 07:34:30 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Smithy
[Today at 07:26:06 PM]

Crystal Palace by Fingers
[Today at 07:18:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester City post match thread  (Read 26804 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester City post match thread
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2021, 07:01:42 PM »
I was convinced we were going to chuck it away after spurning so many chances 2nd half, but it was a great professional performance. Steptoe didn’t get a sniff.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2021, 07:04:13 PM »
The disallowed goal and Nakamba's booking aside I only swore twice in 90 minutes.  That's a hell of a return.  Really impressed by Marvellous again, he's not going anywhere.  Missed a couple of sitters and our passing around their 18 yard box left a lot to be desired at times, we seem to lack some composure.  9 from 12 and moving in the right direction in every sense.

Impressed you kept language in check when Ollie didn't square to Cash for a relative tap in!

Probably helped us scoring 30 seconds later.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2021, 07:05:37 PM »
Marv was immense. Shades of Stan Petrov. World class save from Emi Martinez. Buendia gives the ball away far too much for my liking. Awesome work from Ollie, SJM & JJ. Wonderful way to round the weekend off 😄

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2021, 07:05:43 PM »
Big critic of Nakamba but he was class today. Not just tidying up loose balls but was secure with his passing.

Ramsey was fantastic and really playing like he belongs at this level.

Like Carney's cameo aswell. Need to sort that deal out.

Did McGinn get booked at the end? Out of Liverpool if he did.

Nope, Nakamba was our only booking and, for some bizarre reason, Maddison was the only one for them despite them commiting 25 fouls. It's things like that which encourage managers to setup a rotating foul system to break up play. It's pretty sad that we have supposedly professional referees who don't seem to have any idea that it's happening.

Yeah had to double check when I saw Leicester only had one booking. Evans is my type of CB but he was clattering into Ollie and others all game and Dewsbury-Ball or whatever he's called completely wiped out Buendia in one attack we had second half.

Nakamba by comparison tickled someone and got booked.

Online TonyD

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2021, 07:06:31 PM »
Awesome second half.  To a man.
Looking forward to Saturday. 
Do some pubs show 3pm KOs ? Will be in Newquay. 

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2021, 07:07:52 PM »
Nakamba was excellent. I said to my neighbour back in August that
Marv is a better player than Luis and I stand by it.

Not sure I'd go that far yet although thought Doug was pretty poor and worst of all the midfielders we had out today.

Begs the question though of why we haven't seen more of Nakamba-Doug-McGinn as midfield trio over last two years as it's reasonably balanced.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2021, 07:08:35 PM »
hurts even more because villa really aren't even good this season losing grealish and barkley has turned them into a better version of burnley.

ahhh, hahaha! what a bunch of sad deluded donuts.

We are Burnley..? You wracked up 25 fouls and forced two saves.

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2021, 07:08:37 PM »
Marvellous has been a revelation since Gerrard became the manager. Like Targett last season, he’s playing at totally a different level now. From being 2nd fiddle to Douggie, he’s now taken that position and made it his own.

Buendia is settling. I’m not sure if it’s because he’s playing in a system that suits him better, or if the team are developing a knowledge of how he plays. Maybe a bit of both.

Watkins workrate is phenomenal. At the end there, he was one of the players at the back and made an important clearance.

Mings and Konsa are playing like they did last season again.

McGinn… no idea what’s happened to him, but Gerard’s tutorship is turning him to the next level.

JJ - starting to really develop into a top class player. I love his movement, his ball holding and his skill. Reminds me of someone else at times….

Chucky… you could see he had a bit more confidence today. Some excellent movement, passes, interceptions.

I could go through the entire team. We are a work in progress - but - this is very different to where we were in October. We’re clicking, we’re starting to purr. Keep this up and we’ll be regretting our performances earlier on the season, but only because this squad - as we’re starting to see now - is capable of much much more than it was at that time.

Up the Villa!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »
Cash improved second half - Barnes was hammering him first half.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2021, 07:10:53 PM »
Great result.  No5 that it matters now, but according to the laws of the game, the disallowed goal should have stood shouldn’t it?

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2021, 07:16:04 PM »
Great result.  No5 that it matters now, but according to the laws of the game, the disallowed goal should have stood shouldn’t it?

Yep that should have stood but it seems no one knows that ruling about the rebound or save?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2021, 07:18:46 PM »
I’ve got no complaints aside from Dougie first half, he’d been excellent 2nd half against Man City too. He did pick up second half in this one as well. I thought everyone else ranged from half decent to outstanding with Marv MOTM. I’m optimistically thinking Gerrard and his team are the real stars of the show now though.

Schmeichel is a ****** isn’t he?

Offline saint13

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2021, 07:19:55 PM »
Excellent 2nd half after a very poor 1st half.

Marvellous, McGinn & Ollie were superb. I thought Luiz was poor and needs replacing in January. Sanson looked smooth when he came on and there may just be a player there.

Cash was extremely wasteful & on another day we could have regretted not finishing off one of the many good situations we had 2nd half. Loved the managers interview afterwards.

Oh yes & the goal has to stand & Schiemechel is a twat!

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2021, 07:19:58 PM »
A good Leicester side, a shit ref and VAR in a bad mood. We had it all to contend with but we still came away with 3 points! Great stuff Villa!!

My mentions would go to Dougie and SJM, but they were all brilliant TBH. UTV!!!!

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2021, 07:22:01 PM »
The problem with VAR (well, one of the problems) is that when the ref is called over to the monitor, they are shown one angle at ultra slowed down speed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal