collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crystal Palace 1-2 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 17610 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Crystal Palace 1-2 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2021, 12:17:09 AM »
Top performance first half we dominated them across the pitch with the best passing i've seen all season, every player playing his part. Palace had to respond after the break and although they saw a lot more of the ball didn't create much of anything until the lack of concentration by Mings at the end. Nakamba, JM and Ramsey were exellent. I differ from most posters, thought Watkins had a very decent first half, although he just appears to have lost half a yard of pace.
Luiz was very poor and gave the ball away too easily but I put that down to lack of match play. Special mention to Ashley Young, I was dubious of what he could bring to the side but so far he's proving me wrong, total proffessional.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2021, 12:20:53 AM »
Odd game second half in that they had all the ball without ever really looking a threat. Great win and good display overall, but....

Watkins was awful much of the game, his touch and continual over playing of the ball got us in trouble too often, but breaking at pace really isn't Ings' game, and the lack of a viable alternative to the job Watkins does, and still does better than Ings even when he's having a shit game, will be addressed by Gerrard at some point I'm sure.

We need more depth in quality in midfield. Ramsey and McGinn unsurprisingly tired and could not press at the same intensity second half. That next step in quality of player will be felt the most in midfield... Which brings me on to...

Our narrow wide forward options are not even close to the standard we like to think they are. Bailey might make a top 6 prem player but he gave it away as much as Watkins today and frustrated the life out of me. Young was industrious and influential but is nearly 37. The ability in these areas to actually keep the ball and have composure is half the battle to being able to dictate possession. Our creative players in these area are good, but we need a top player that can help us keep the ball better in the final third. A bit like that bloke we will hear a lot about this week.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2021, 12:26:20 AM »
Top performance first half we dominated them across the pitch with the best passing i've seen all season, every player playing his part. Palace had to respond after the break and although they saw a lot more of the ball didn't create much of anything until the lack of concentration by Mings at the end. Nakamba, JM and Ramsey were exellent. I differ from most posters, thought Watkins had a very decent first half, although he just appears to have lost half a yard of pace.
Luiz was very poor and gave the ball away too easily but I put that down to lack of match play. Special mention to Ashley Young, I was dubious of what he could bring to the side but so far he's proving me wrong, total proffessional.

One thing i like about Young is that he is always in the ref’s ear.  He was chipping away when the ref went to VAR. I felt we were streetwise today - several incidences of players being injured to break up play, usually fake in my opinion, but it stopped Palace building momentum.

First half in particular was excellent, and my motm was Nakamba for his constant breaking up of play. Generally I’m really happy with today. If pushed to cite areas to improve on I thought Watkins failed to protect the ball sufficiently resulting in us not relieving pressure at times and Bailey seems to feel that any involvement of less than 12 touches has no value.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2021, 12:27:53 AM »
PS Great support today, though we had plenty to enthuse us

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2021, 12:43:35 AM »

Offline eamonn

« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2021, 12:46:39 AM »
Ollie hasn’t been the same since he got into the England squad.

I’d say it’s since his injury more than getting into the England set-up. He just doesn’t seem to be as sharp in both his touch and mind.

He's a new dad. Hasn't had a good night's sleep since the summer.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2021, 12:50:49 AM »
I have seen Villa win at Man U and Palace! What strange times we live in.

Yeah! Just a pity we've lost every other fcuking away game this season.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2021, 01:51:06 AM »
Our midfield trio were simply brilliant today. Overall, everyone did well though I think we started to tire somewhat after about 65mins.

The only complaint I have with Ollie (and Bailey) were that they both held onto the ball too long on occasions.

Offline wince

« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2021, 02:05:59 AM »
Oddly few pages on this. Fantastic result today. 11th and looks like we are on the up. Gerrard reminds me of John Gregory and I didn’t like him at the time either

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2021, 05:21:30 AM »
Re- Watkins becoming a new dad and his perfomance level. I love my golf and have noticed among the proffessional ranks how getting married, having kids and having something else to think about leads to even top golfers performing below par. Adam Scott prime example, won the masters then got married had two kids and has never acheived the same level since. So i'm going to cut him a bit of slack for being human.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2021, 05:23:00 AM »
Re- Watkins becoming a new dad and his perfomance level. I love my golf and have noticed among the proffessional ranks how getting married, having kids and having something else to think about leads to even top golfers performing below par. Adam Scott prime example, won the masters then got married had two kids and has never acheived the same level since. So i'm going to cut him a bit of slack for being human.
so the moral of the story is don’t get married and don’t have kids.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2021, 05:54:10 AM »
Fantastic first half today on a ground we’ve struggled at. Resolute second half. Interesting use of Watkins and Young. It often looked -particularly in the first half- that Young was operating as an additional midfielder and Watkins was playing wide left. Looked to help us control the midfield. Confused Palace before they regrouped at half time. Two wins out win. Couldn’t ask for a better start under Gerrard.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2021, 07:33:58 AM »
Re- Watkins becoming a new dad and his perfomance level. I love my golf and have noticed among the proffessional ranks how getting married, having kids and having something else to think about leads to even top golfers performing below par.

Isn’t the idea of golf to be below par?

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »
Ollie hasn’t been the same since he got into the England squad.

I’d say it’s since his injury more than getting into the England set-up. He just doesn’t seem to be as sharp in both his touch and mind.

He's a new dad. Hasn't had a good night's sleep since the summer.

I mentioned this a few weeks back, after our first I was a liability at work. It really messed me up. It took me quite a while to adjust to becoming a sleep deprived zombie.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2021, 08:14:31 AM »
Excellent away performance;

Positives

First half in general was utterly dominant.

The shape we maintained out of possession totally nulified them, while the inside forwards and high pushing full backs created difficulties for them. They couldn't pick up our runners.

Mings again (bar the last kick) was switched on and doing the basics very well.

Limiting the opposition again to almost nothing on our goal

Nakamba first half especially was excellent, really pressing high into them and making good decisions with his interceptions and passing.

Edit: Ashley Young was excellent and Bailey will learn plenty from him.

Negatives

It was unfortunate we couldn't maintain the standards of the 1st half in the 2nd. We gave up the ball a bit easier and the midfield were deeper.

Felt this had an effect of isolating Watkins from the inside forwards and full backs, so he was crowded out. His decision making in turn was not the best, but he was always looking dangerous on the break.

Also worth saying that despite not being as effective, we were still the better side. Palace huffed and puffed without creating anything of note and that walking slapped arse Zaha having to be taken off was a testament to how good we were at smoothering them.

Bailey looked gassed early in the 2nd half and felt he was trying to do too much when in good positions in the 1st half.

Lovely 2nd goal, the ground remains difficult to get to and absolutely woeful, much like the weather and the referee.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:21:01 AM by Ads »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal