collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Trains, planes and automobiles  (Read 9976 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Trains, planes and automobiles
« on: November 22, 2021, 03:26:14 PM »
A quick rant about public transport.

https://heroesandvillains.info/2021/11/22/611/

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: Trains, planes and automobiles
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 03:59:08 PM »
Thanks Dave this is much needed.

I got the train to the first couple of home games of the season because it had been such a pain negotiating the Perry Barr roadworks to get to the Chelsea game. I quickly came to the conclusion that the train journey was no better so I have reverted to the car. Perry Barr is still a nightmare, parking around Villa Park gets worse every season and there are also really pain in the neck roadworks round Handsworth Wood. It's such an ordeal getting there and back it puts you off going. 

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 04:27:47 PM »
Andy Street fan of the Johnston school of transport:
Airport in Thames estuary cancelled.
Garden bridge in London cancelled.
Contract with ferry firm with no ships.
HS2 to the North East cancelled.
Bridge from N. Ireland to Scotland cancelled.

Online exigo

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 04:36:46 PM »
At the start of the season, I could walk out of the ground on the final whistle, get to Aston in time for the 1709, 24 and 33 which would all get me into New Street in time for the Euston train at 17:50. Saturday just about made it after having to leg it to Aston, and then across 12 platforms in town.
Spoke with the high-vis guys on Saturday and they claimed the queue was to stop overcrowding on the platform. Despite the platform being about a third full when we finally were let up, and yet again the train left at around 20% capacity.
It's not even difficult to fix the issue – just get rid of these jobsworths. Just like the ones who ruined the perfectly functioning traffic flow at the top of Electric Avenue.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 04:39:58 PM »
The Man City game next month, finishing around 10:00 pm, is going to be horrendous for getting away from the ground.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 04:45:47 PM »
The Man City game next month, finishing around 10:00 pm, is going to be horrendous for getting away from the ground.

That kick-off time is beyond a piss take. Even if you're watching at home, that's a very, very late finish for a school night.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 04:50:31 PM »
Is it possible to get a scooter along the towpath?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 04:58:48 PM »

I was thinking the same until i realised im away in Manchester ironically for a couple of nights for work, so me and the kids will have to miss this one. Always gutted to miss any game, but the idea of trying to negotiate even my relatively short journey home, on a freezing December night that late with the trains being the way they are at the minute, was not that appealing.

I prefer getting the train to the matches, but Saturday was pretty horrendous. We stopped to clap the players off but must of got to Aston station for maybe 5.10pm. A train finally arrived about 6.20pm. Almost as annoying is the total lack of information about whats happening. Its not just match days though, I was in town with my other half on Thursday afternoon and the trains home were all delayed and zero info about why. Its a real mess of a system and like Dave points out the major of this city is nowhere to be seen.

Offline spartacuss

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 05:35:43 PM »
Andy Street fan of the Johnston school of transport:
Airport in Thames estuary cancelled.
Garden bridge in London cancelled.
Contract with ferry firm with no ships.
HS2 to the North East cancelled.
Bridge from N. Ireland to Scotland cancelled.

Most of those were kite-flying exercises by our supreme liar/leader.   Despite Andy Street's sycophantic efforts, the West Midlands isn't a blip on the horizon for Alexander De Pfeffel ('Boris' is for oiks).  It's important for 'Project Johnson' (mission: 'to make money and have fun' - ref. Dominic Cummings) that the big corporates, finance houses, civil engineering cos. etc can get on the gravy train that is HS2, to ensure that when he eventually decides to spend more time with his wallet, there will be appropriate gratitude shown.

So, a railway for business users which runs in to Curzon Street(!) - as opposed  to New Street - is given eye-watering amounts of tax payers' money while the real need for proper planning and resourcing of transport in the region has to creak along on scraps. 

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 06:29:39 PM »
Bet Birmingham City council will get transport problem sorted for the Commonwealth games,I left just after Ming's goal and run to Aston station for New Street luckily just missed the queue,rail company need to sort out the platform issues and also need to tell passengers to move up the train and stop blocking the door way, you could get another 100 plus on the train

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 06:45:37 PM »
Mail report said 12 trains leave Aston every hour, giving the impression that's into New Street, only actual 5 go into New Street

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 06:47:55 PM »
Even in my sleepy backwoods Fenland village the traffic lights have flow sensors.  Morning heavy traffic into Cambridge gets a longer green light than leaving the city and vice versa in the evening.  The traffic controls in Aston are not calibrated to smooth out peaks of access and egress on match days.  Back in the dark days the key junctions would have a human being in control and the traffic would flow. These days the machines rule and if your machine is not in sync with reality you sit and breathe carbon monoxide until you can move or you die whichever is the sooner.

Offline Sdwbvf

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 06:58:52 PM »
I tried Witton again on Saturday. Had a booked seat on the 1750 to Euston. From Trinity Upper left as the final whistle blew. Hotfoot it with 9 year old dragged behind. Queue back past the bus stop. Got on 4th train. We were lucky as the 1645 was half an hour late giving an extra one. Each train was going out full to the brim and they had 4 coaches each which is better than the past when they were 3. Then it took 35 minutes to get to New Street. So missed the 1750. 1810 came in already full of West Ham fans. Stood in aisle to Milton Keynes where I hit lucky and got a seat. Horrible at Euston with Brighton and West Ham fans. Plenty of police. Next time I will take my time leaving, catch a bus and stay in town overnight.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 07:09:04 PM »
Sadly, driving is faster, cheaper, more convenient and safer.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 07:14:00 PM »
My uncle was telling me that he (lives in Great Barr) gets his Mrs to follow him down to Aston in the morning, him in his work van, her in their car. He parks the van in the best located on-street parking spot he knows for a quick get away, then they go home. In the afternoon, she drops him and my cousin at the ground and he comes back in the van.

It's a clever solution, but when you live 2 or 3 miles from the ground and you have to resort to that level of pissing about to minimise transport grief, something is clearly not right.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal