collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Watkins, Ings, both or neither?  (Read 44092 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Watkins, Ings or both?
« Reply #315 on: January 17, 2022, 12:16:40 PM »
I don't underestimate it, I haven't seen it. I see some attempts a nice touches and flicks but most of the time I see possession given up and my team struggling to get a hold of the game and looking like we're playing with 10 men.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #316 on: January 17, 2022, 12:23:59 PM »
ok, I guess we'll see.  I expect Watkins will get the nod anyway, but I'd be excited to see Ings in that front three.  Either way hopefully there will be more goals.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #317 on: January 17, 2022, 12:27:44 PM »
People keep saying Ings is the better finisher, I know he was offside afterwards but that finish on Monday when clean through was wank, and it's not the first time he's done that this season.
You're right.  But notwithstanding some errors I just think he is generally a better finisher.  The amount of missed chances from Watkins is getting ridiculous and it's costing us.  I also think Ings will be better with the intricate interplay with the two 10's.  We haven't seen the best of Ings yet, but when we do I just think it's better than the best of Watkins.

If we want to play on the counter at times, then I think Watkins will be better suited to that with his speed.

I hope we haven't because at the moment his contribution isn't great for how we play.  It's got to be one or the other and for now Watkins is in front. I don't know whether it's just me but it always looks like Ings is running through mud. He's not quick but is he actually quite slow?

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #318 on: January 17, 2022, 12:37:05 PM »
When everyone is fit and available it's got to be horses for courses, and I wouldn't be looking to get rid of either Watkins or Ings.  Against the top teams we are going to need Ollie's work-rate, but we'll go into other games where we feel confident of dominating and Ings finishing will be more useful.

We might end up with Ings playing less games and scoring more goals, and no doubt Watkins will feel hard done by in not playing the matches where he could more easily add to his own tally.  The thing is if we are going to have a serious crack at getting into the top 6 and beyond then we have to start thinking like a top 6 team.  Far better to have a range of options that can be deployed when needed than one way of playing that works for a while until it's figured out and we then go weeks or months without a win.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #319 on: January 17, 2022, 01:06:42 PM »
ok, I guess we'll see.  I expect Watkins will get the nod anyway, but I'd be excited to see Ings in that front three.  Either way hopefully there will be more goals.

I can certainly agree with that

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #320 on: January 17, 2022, 01:11:15 PM »
When everyone is fit and available it's got to be horses for courses, and I wouldn't be looking to get rid of either Watkins or Ings.  Against the top teams we are going to need Ollie's work-rate, but we'll go into other games where we feel confident of dominating and Ings finishing will be more useful.

We might end up with Ings playing less games and scoring more goals, and no doubt Watkins will feel hard done by in not playing the matches where he could more easily add to his own tally.  The thing is if we are going to have a serious crack at getting into the top 6 and beyond then we have to start thinking like a top 6 team.  Far better to have a range of options that can be deployed when needed than one way of playing that works for a while until it's figured out and we then go weeks or months without a win.
Sums it up for me.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2022, 01:34:37 PM »
People keep saying Ings is the better finisher, I know he was offside afterwards but that finish on Monday when clean through was wank, and it's not the first time he's done that this season.

To be honest would you have any confidence in Watkins scoring Ings goals v Newcastle and Brentford? I know I wouldn't.

Ings natural game is not running the channels. He is a very clever player in and around the box. Kind of a Robbie Keane type forward. But especially at Old Trafford, he was gassed after about 70 mins from all the hard graft that we got nothing from. It's just a poor fit for us.

Watkins has a lot more going for him but he simply has to start working on improving his basic footballing skills. First touch, heading, striking a ball....reminds me a bit of Gabby at the moment, same flaws.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2022, 01:41:00 PM »
A fan telling a professional footballer with over 100 career goals to work on his basic football skills. Wow.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2022, 02:24:18 PM »
A fan telling a professional footballer with over 100 career goals to work on his basic football skills. Wow.

he needs to work on his heading of crosses that is plainly true from Saturday. 

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2022, 11:10:42 PM »
I would have played both V Leeds
Watkins by himself wasn't working and Ings really would have been someone who could score a hat full against that leeds defence.
Very strange not to have them on the pitch at some point today

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2022, 02:41:13 PM »
I'm bored so just thinking about this.

I think I'd be tempted to try something different but retain Coutinho as a number 10 behind Ings and Buendia. In reality, Ings, Buendia, Bailey, Watkins and Traore are all fighting for those two places, with Buendia able to cover for Coutinho too.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #326 on: March 18, 2022, 11:03:52 AM »
Brighton being linked with a move for Ings in the summer. I don't think there would be a shortage of takers if we decided to do something different next season.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #327 on: March 19, 2022, 02:56:36 PM »
On today’s performance alone I wouldn’t feed Watkins

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #328 on: March 19, 2022, 04:08:16 PM »
Watkins just isn’t good enough.

He’s a decent championship striker and no more. Ings is much the more likely to take chances.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #329 on: March 19, 2022, 04:20:39 PM »
We can't keep hoofing it to Watkins and expect it to stick, it never has, it never will do. Surely that's coaching? I think it's exacerbated by our lack of midfield. We want to play it and keep possession but our midfield give so few options that we have to hit it long to Watkins. We create so few good opportunities for our strikers currently.

I'm not sure if this specifically would work with the players we have, but I'd consider radically changing the way we play, something like 451/433/etc; get Sanson on, more midfield presence and just solidify us a bit hopefully giving us some more options.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal