collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Watkins, Ings, both or neither?  (Read 44064 times)

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
Re: Watkins, Ings or both?
« Reply #300 on: January 16, 2022, 04:32:24 PM »
Didn't need Ings it was a panic buy from the club after the sale of Jack Grealish.  He is a good player but does not work with Watkins and given his Contribution I'd take Watkins over ings. There is absolutely no sell on value in Ings either. Great player to have on the bench and bring on though,if he's happy to do that.  Expect him to go out on loan or end up at Burnley and do well

Do you still think we should get rid of Buendia this month?
And also whats wrong with having some squad depth?
Something we've lacked for years on end.
Also Ings is a better finisher and with Emi and Phil in the team there will be some opportunities for the front guy.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #301 on: January 16, 2022, 09:25:34 PM »
ings not really cutting it   Has looked decent in patches but not enough movement

Watkins vastly overrated - maybe needs to be a wide player and is playing far to central.  Big. Bid for him I would take   

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2022, 10:16:58 PM »
Did the two link-up even once last night? Disappointing but it's hard to argue for both to start and as has been said, Watkins brings more with his all-round game. But if a combo of Coutinho/Buendia/Traore/Bailey are laying on chances at regular levels, you'd want Ings on the end of them.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2022, 11:48:06 PM »
Watkins is a better player, has more upside potential, and the team is better when he's the 1 up front. However, now that Phil is here and Emi is finding his straps, if they both play in a 10 role, I wonder if Ings is a better option. I suspect with those two, we will play through the middle more and we will get more clever little through balls from them. Ings will be more on their wavelength, makes more intelligent runs (and sees them quicker) than Ollie, and is a more clinical finisher.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:50:26 PM by rooboy316 »

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2022, 12:36:35 AM »
Neither, unless Ollie is going to play on his own through the middle.

If this ridiculous persistence in playing both continues, we won't win many games, that's for sure.

I've never liked Ings. No pace, doesn't get involved enough. Now doesn't even score.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2022, 01:55:42 AM »
I would try to shift Ollie on to Spurs or Arsenal while his stock is still high. You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, to paraphrase Neil Buchannan.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #306 on: January 17, 2022, 02:25:24 AM »
I would try to shift Ollie on to Spurs or Arsenal while his stock is still high. You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, to paraphrase Neil Buchannan.

Art Attack Neil Buchanan?? Wow, that's a blast from the past!

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #307 on: January 17, 2022, 11:30:40 AM »
honestly, if someone came in for ings, we should bite their hands off.

it's not working for him or us.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #308 on: January 17, 2022, 11:40:31 AM »
We're only playing both because Bailey and Traore are injured / not available.  Watkins is playing in a stop gap position - one that I hoped he would take to better than he has given his background. 

Now we have Coutinho, I expect either Watkins or Ings to be benched.  Much as I like Wakins I am getting more and more frustrated by his finishing.  Personally I'd like to see a run of games with Coutinho - Ings - Buendia as the front three.  I just think Ings is a better finisher than Watkins and expect him to get more goals once the front three is settled.  I also think Ings has better feet and link up play and will be more effective with the clever players around him.  I expect Watkins will get the nod in the first instance though.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #309 on: January 17, 2022, 11:48:00 AM »
That front three would very small and offer no physicality at all.

Watkins has only struggled with Ings on the pitch, he gets in his way and makes him think twice about his runs.

It's Watkins every time for me, even if, another poster said, he's playing shite. He has so much more to his game, and more importantly, we're a better team with him in that role.

Ings to play Watkins is injured or suspended.

Offline achilles

« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2022, 11:48:54 AM »
We're only playing both because Bailey and Traore are injured / not available.  Watkins is playing in a stop gap position - one that I hoped he would take to better than he has given his background. 

Now we have Coutinho, I expect either Watkins or Ings to be benched.  Much as I like Wakins I am getting more and more frustrated by his finishing.  Personally I'd like to see a run of games with Coutinho - Ings - Buendia as the front three.  I just think Ings is a better finisher than Watkins and expect him to get more goals once the front three is settled.  I also think Ings has better feet and link up play and will be more effective with the clever players around him.  I expect Watkins will get the nod in the first instance though.

Totally agree with this, think Ings is the better finisher and will link up better although Watkins has the better all round game, a real dilemma!

Offline LeeB

« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2022, 11:51:33 AM »
People keep saying Ings is the better finisher, I know he was offside afterwards but that finish on Monday when clean through was wank, and it's not the first time he's done that this season.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #312 on: January 17, 2022, 12:00:28 PM »
People keep saying Ings is the better finisher, I know he was offside afterwards but that finish on Monday when clean through was wank, and it's not the first time he's done that this season.
You're right.  But notwithstanding some errors I just think he is generally a better finisher.  The amount of missed chances from Watkins is getting ridiculous and it's costing us.  I also think Ings will be better with the intricate interplay with the two 10's.  We haven't seen the best of Ings yet, but when we do I just think it's better than the best of Watkins.

If we want to play on the counter at times, then I think Watkins will be better suited to that with his speed.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #313 on: January 17, 2022, 12:12:03 PM »
Thing is you've got to get there to miss them.

Take the chance where Ollie hits the bar (which should have been a penalty, but hey).

Ings isn't getting to that ball before Lindeloff, and he's not going to then turn him and get then a shot away.

Ings looks like a throwback to an 80's goal-getter, he'd probably score more than Watkins over a season but your team would be 10 points worse off.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #314 on: January 17, 2022, 12:13:44 PM »
I think you seriously underestimate Ings ability on the ball and work rate.  He is nothing like the 'fox in the box' that you allude to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal