collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Watkins, Ings, both or neither?  (Read 44062 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Watkins, Ings or both?
« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2022, 10:45:56 AM »
Sell both this summer and buy someone that's faster, better in the ball and can finish.

If only it was that easy.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #286 on: January 16, 2022, 11:17:46 AM »
Very disappointed in both of thm yesterday. Ings should only be a last 20 mins player.

See, I'm not even sure that would work.  You want some energy and spark coming off the bench in the closing stages and Ings won't give you that.  If Watkins has started and has been pulling defenders around, you want more of that coming on off the bench.

I suppose the logical order would be Ings starting, with Watkins coming on to give us that energy in the final stages.

As much as I think Watkins has loads of qualities, and as much as Ings looks a passenger for a lot of the time, I think Ollie is most at risk of falling out of the first team.  A starting front three of Coutinho, Ings and Bailey, supported by Buendia, JJ and /or SJM looks top 4 contender standard on paper (esp with a top drawer DCM sitting behind that lot).  Ings is in there to score the chances that this team would certainly create.  Watkins just isn't clinical enough.  Mad really cause he's one of my favourite players over the last couple fo years.

I like Watkins too and for where we are, he's absolutely fine.  I did wonder watching the game yesterday though, if Buendia iand Coutinho are going to play, we are going to need a striker who is on the same wavelength as them.

With those two in the team, we will be looking to play through them, so a striker who plays off the shoulder of defenders and makes clever runs might be more suited to playing with them.  Out of the two, that choice would probably be Ings to begin with.

Offline supertom

« Reply #287 on: January 16, 2022, 11:25:17 AM »
It's detrimental playing both. If Watkins is out left, he's a little hamstrung and he's taking space a more creative 10/wideman could be taking. Also, Ings loves that inside left channel, and if Watkins is wide, he's inevitably coming inside, so Ings gets pushed away. Danny barely touched the ball yesterday. He was lost, but compare that to Brentford, where he had his best game in weeks because Ollie wasn't playing.

Both need that 9 role without the other. At the moment for pace and work-rate, Ollie gets it for me. But I do feel with Phil and Emi behind, our ball retention will improve and Ings could have a field day, as long as he's got the freedom to work the channels he wants. His a lethal finisher. Whereas Ollie needs 3-4 chances to tuck one away.
I'd play Watkins against the top half sides, Danny against the bottom half.

I think one or the other and you'll see a marked improvement from whoever is getting the nod.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #288 on: January 16, 2022, 11:36:14 AM »
Watkins is a 1 in 3 striker who works his nads off. He cannot play with a partner, but he's a pest and a menace. There is no chance we're getting rid for the foreseeable. Love him, even when he's not on form and has slippers on his feet.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »
It's detrimental playing both. If Watkins is out left, he's a little hamstrung and he's taking space a more creative 10/wideman could be taking. Also, Ings loves that inside left channel, and if Watkins is wide, he's inevitably coming inside, so Ings gets pushed away. Danny barely touched the ball yesterday. He was lost, but compare that to Brentford, where he had his best game in weeks because Ollie wasn't playing.

Both need that 9 role without the other. At the moment for pace and work-rate, Ollie gets it for me. But I do feel with Phil and Emi behind, our ball retention will improve and Ings could have a field day, as long as he's got the freedom to work the channels he wants. His a lethal finisher. Whereas Ollie needs 3-4 chances to tuck one away.
I'd play Watkins against the top half sides, Danny against the bottom half.

I think one or the other and you'll see a marked improvement from whoever is getting the nod.

Agree with a lot of this, but for me it is just a straight choice between the two and the one in form gets the starting place. 

It is the kind of competition for places we need if we are going to move on.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2022, 11:46:01 AM »
Sell both this summer and buy someone that's faster, better in the ball and can finish.
Oh you mean someone like Erling Haaland? ;)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #291 on: January 16, 2022, 01:43:46 PM »
Both are decent strikers. They are playing together because we've not had enough options due to injury etc.

When Coutinho and Bailey are fit, and Traore is back, with Buendia getting better all the time there won't be a need to play them both.

Either will work, and they offer different things that can be similar at times; that's not a bad thing, it's an opportunity for us to mix it up. As are the other midfield options with Chukwuemeka and Ramsey as well as JPB to be reckoned with.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #292 on: January 16, 2022, 02:44:04 PM »
Didn't need Ings it was a panic buy from the club after the sale of Jack Grealish.  He is a good player but does not work with Watkins and given his Contribution I'd take Watkins over ings. There is absolutely no sell on value in Ings either. Great player to have on the bench and bring on though,if he's happy to do that.  Expect him to go out on loan or end up at Burnley and do well

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #293 on: January 16, 2022, 02:52:56 PM »
Playing them together seems to detract from both of their performances.
It isn’t working.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #294 on: January 16, 2022, 02:57:57 PM »
Both are decent strikers. They are playing together because we've not had enough options due to injury etc.

When Coutinho and Bailey are fit, and Traore is back, with Buendia getting better all the time there won't be a need to play them both.

Either will work, and they offer different things that can be similar at times; that's not a bad thing, it's an opportunity for us to mix it up. As are the other midfield options with Chukwuemeka and Ramsey as well as JPB to be reckoned with.

I think this is right. Given how Gerard had done so far, i doubt that he hasn’t figured out it doesn’t work, in fact he sacked it iff initially part way through the Brighton game. I think he’s playing the two out of necessity. If Coutinho gets up to speed by Saturday id expect to see him and Beundia either side of Ollie. We’re not playing to Ings strengths at the moment and i feel a bit sorry for him, but Ollie works defenders harder, With Coutinho and Beundia pulling the strings, Ings could be a very good impact sub, to bring on against tired defenders.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #295 on: January 16, 2022, 03:17:14 PM »
Oh you mean someone like Erling Haaland? ;)

He’ll do

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #296 on: January 16, 2022, 04:09:18 PM »
Watkins is a 1 in 3 striker who works his nads off. He cannot play with a partner, but he's a pest and a menace. There is no chance we're getting rid for the foreseeable. Love him, even when he's not on form and has slippers on his feet.

Yep, completely agree.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #297 on: January 16, 2022, 04:10:47 PM »
Didn't need Ings it was a panic buy from the club after the sale of Jack Grealish.  He is a good player but does not work with Watkins and given his Contribution I'd take Watkins over ings. There is absolutely no sell on value in Ings either. Great player to have on the bench and bring on though,if he's happy to do that.  Expect him to go out on loan or end up at Burnley and do well

I wouldn’t say he was a panic but as we spent a long time with only Watkins as our available striker. He’s also a proven striker. It just hasn’t worked out as a good pairing.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #298 on: January 16, 2022, 04:15:31 PM »

Do you still think we should get rid of Buendia this month?

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2022, 04:28:27 PM »
Ings getting alot of stick, but Watkins isn't doing it for me either, said before but he's not doing closing down players like last season,and tenders to keep the ball too long instead of a simple pass

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal