collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Watkins, Ings, both or neither?  (Read 44088 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Watkins, Ings or both?
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2022, 01:05:58 AM »
How often as Ings played on his own? I can't think off the top of my head. I think I'd rather a finisher but they both lack what the other has which is why we need the machine from The Fly invented.

Played there against Brentford and did OK, with a nicely taken goal.  Just hasn't really got going this season though. 

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2022, 01:11:30 AM »
How often as Ings played on his own? I can't think off the top of my head. I think I'd rather a finisher but they both lack what the other has which is why we need the machine from The Fly invented.

Played there against Brentford and did OK, with a nicely taken goal.  Just hasn't really got going this season though.

Is that the only time, Tom? I don't feel like he's had that many opportunities on his own. I mean some may argue he doesn't deserve to but historically he's a very good striker so I would have no issue with him having a run. I don't think either of them could argue though eitherway.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2022, 07:40:00 AM »
Ings slows the world down too much. Runs like he's 90. There seems no urgency or imagination to him beyond being a very decent finished. Watkins has no confidence, and he becomes a very poor footballer in general when he has no confidence.

Offline ez

« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2022, 08:20:48 AM »
His lack of movement is a problem. He's far too slow getting where he should be and never loses his marker. Ramsey did more in 20 minutes than he's done in the last 3 games. Sell him on before his price tumbles.

Offline frank black

« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2022, 08:32:38 AM »
Imagine how good we will be once the boss realises he shouldn’t play em both?!

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2022, 08:35:02 AM »
In answer to the thread’s title, I’m beginning to think neither.

Certainly this year we need to try one or the other as both is continually proving a waste of a spot.

But Ings looks a bad buy to me - some nice touches and 2 (I think) really good finishes don’t make up for no pace and sluggish movement.  Watkins send a shadow of his former self but at least is still moving and pressing so offering something. But his touch, confidence and finishing have gone, and he looks clumsy on the ball.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #276 on: January 16, 2022, 08:38:44 AM »
I think as soon as we try Watkins on his own you will see different player. He’s so good at holding up and linking play. He works hard as well when we don’t have the ball. It’s a no brainer for me.

I wanted it to work as I do Ings, he’s a good player. He just doesn’t fit this side.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #277 on: January 16, 2022, 09:01:50 AM »
He’s not rubbish. He scored a lot of superb goals last season. But he’s not good enough to be our first choice. He’s having some second season challenges so we need someone who is legitimately top level to push on,

He hasn’t got Grealish setting him up any more.

That doesn't make him rubbish though. Our service without Grealish has been mostly abysmal all season. I'm not excusing the play of Watkins or Ings but we've not exactly done ourselves any favours with how we have supplied them.
That is the point I was making on the match thread. Last season we were excellent when Grealish and Barkley were producing the chances for Watkins. This season it isn’t happening although they are making the runs. Which ever one plays or both, let’s give them a chance to produce now we have players who are likely to supply the right final ball

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #278 on: January 16, 2022, 09:18:44 AM »
Barkley produced chances last season? I must have missed those. 1 assist is all he provided.
Watkins as lone striker with Coutinho and Buendia playing off him will reap goals. Ings as an able back-up.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #279 on: January 16, 2022, 09:36:03 AM »
In answer to the thread’s title, I’m beginning to think neither.

Certainly this year we need to try one or the other as both is continually proving a waste of a spot.

But Ings looks a bad buy to me - some nice touches and 2 (I think) really good finishes don’t make up for no pace and sluggish movement.  Watkins send a shadow of his former self but at least is still moving and pressing so offering something. But his touch, confidence and finishing have gone, and he looks clumsy on the ball.
I can see why you say neither.

Watkins hasn’t progressed, that’s not saying he’s not capable or good enough, theres been a lot of change but he must be able to adapt to that - he couldn’t have expected his whole Villa career to be Dean Smith manager and Grealish playing with him. He was always going to need to be adaptable. And he certainly needs to be better at it if he wants to be better all round and maybe go on to a Champions League club.

My main gripe with Ollie at times is that it’s all a bit predictable. In some situations he appears to keep his head down too long, and in Agbonlahor style his finish isn’t clinical or he runs it straight into the defender. Numerous times against Chelsea at home this happened.

I expected Watkins to kick on when he finally had some competition for places, he can’t spend his whole Villa career expecting to play every week with just Kienan Davis for trouble.

He will get goals but there needs to be a bit of an improvement all round if he is going to grow with the club.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #280 on: January 16, 2022, 09:40:59 AM »
There was a moment last night when Ings and Watkins were literally getting in each others way at the far post.  It was lucky that the cross was shite and never reached them or it could've been a comedy moment.  I was watching them a bit more closely than I have before and there is just no interaction whatsoever.  It isn't going to work and we shouldn't start them both again.  It's like playing with one less player, maybe 2, which is why we get overrun in midfield so often, that and the fact we haven't got fit / natural defensive midfielder at the club

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #281 on: January 16, 2022, 09:43:40 AM »
Very disappointed in both of thm yesterday. Ings should only be a last 20 mins player.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #282 on: January 16, 2022, 09:51:25 AM »
For the good of the team it has to be Watkins with no Ings

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #283 on: January 16, 2022, 09:56:35 AM »
Very disappointed in both of thm yesterday. Ings should only be a last 20 mins player.

See, I'm not even sure that would work.  You want some energy and spark coming off the bench in the closing stages and Ings won't give you that.  If Watkins has started and has been pulling defenders around, you want more of that coming on off the bench.

I suppose the logical order would be Ings starting, with Watkins coming on to give us that energy in the final stages.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #284 on: January 16, 2022, 10:12:45 AM »

See, I'm not even sure that would work.  You want some energy and spark coming off the bench in the closing stages and Ings won't give you that.  If Watkins has started and has been pulling defenders around, you want more of that coming on off the bench.

I suppose the logical order would be Ings starting, with Watkins coming on to give us that energy in the final stages.

As much as I think Watkins has loads of qualities, and as much as Ings looks a passenger for a lot of the time, I think Ollie is most at risk of falling out of the first team.  A starting front three of Coutinho, Ings and Bailey, supported by Buendia, JJ and /or SJM looks top 4 contender standard on paper (esp with a top drawer DCM sitting behind that lot).  Ings is in there to score the chances that this team would certainly create.  Watkins just isn't clinical enough.  Mad really cause he's one of my favourite players over the last couple fo years. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal