collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2 Brighton 0 post match thread  (Read 30272 times)

Offline spartacuss

Re: Aston Villa 2 Brighton 0 post match thread
« Reply #240 on: November 21, 2021, 08:01:28 PM »
Apart from the first ten minutes of the first and second half and the glorious final ten minutes, there were whole stretches of the game that were a yawn-fest.  It was clear that BHA had come for a bore-draw or maybe capitalising on sending one or other of our players to sleep and nicking a solitary goal.  To think I voted for Graham Potter in the manager poll.  Perhaps the club is under-resourced and he's doing the best with what he has, but we may have dodged a bullet there.

Positive for me was that we didn't wilt in the final stages - makes such a change from blowing smoke out of our arses after 70 minutes in far too many games.

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #241 on: November 21, 2021, 08:10:08 PM »
There is clearly a deep affinity between AVFC and the Metaphysical poets... John Dunn was in goal in the 1970s, Herbert had two stints in the chair, we all remember Carew and now we have Marvell ous in midfield,

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2021, 10:06:23 PM »
Apart from the first ten minutes of the first and second half and the glorious final ten minutes, there were whole stretches of the game that were a yawn-fest.  It was clear that BHA had come for a bore-draw or maybe capitalising on sending one or other of our players to sleep and nicking a solitary goal.  To think I voted for Graham Potter in the manager poll.  Perhaps the club is under-resourced and he's doing the best with what he has, but we may have dodged a bullet there.

Positive for me was that we didn't wilt in the final stages - makes such a change from blowing smoke out of our arses after 70 minutes in far too many games.

We were pretty poor in that 70 minute period.  Far too many mistakes and giving the ball away far too much.  Those last 10 minutes were brilliant though and if Bailey's volley had gone in,I think the roof would have come off!

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #243 on: November 21, 2021, 10:45:58 PM »

We were pretty poor in that 70 minute period.  Far too many mistakes and giving the ball away far too much.  Those last 10 minutes were brilliant though and if Bailey's volley had gone in,I think the roof would have come off!

As I said elsewhere, take out the Gerrard factor and it was a bog standard Premier League game between two mid-table sides.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #244 on: November 21, 2021, 11:13:13 PM »
Mid-table? We were 16th, and they were 7th before the match.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #245 on: November 21, 2021, 11:49:56 PM »
Mid-table? We were 16th, and they were 7th before the match.

And it showed. I dream of us controlling possession BUT with a couple of strikers up front.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2021, 12:38:45 AM »
Mings was immense. Maybe spurned by SG captain comment and earning it etc.

Special mention to Targett as he was under incredible pressure as everything for Brighton went through Lampty. For all the ball he saw he did nothing with it.

Lots of boring possession from Brighton but I never felt they would score.

I think there is much more to come from our team and now they have a full week with the whole squad I look for us to improve further

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #247 on: November 22, 2021, 12:54:14 AM »

As I said elsewhere, take out the Gerrard factor and it was a bog standard Premier League game between two mid-table sides.

I think Spartacus’ description of a yawn fest is spot on. They controllled the ball, but thankfully with no end product, and we toiled manfully but with no pattern to our play. Nobody stood out particularly, though I thought Targett generally did well against Lamptey, with some good covering by Mings. I also thought the performance was reflected by the atmosphere, which was very flat.

I feared Maupay coming on would see him sneak a goal so was ecstatic with our two goals. Our substitutions made us stronger and would pick out Young, not only for his pass but also for his vocal impact and leadership. He is always in the ref’s ear, which I don’t recall from a decade ago.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2021, 06:43:09 AM »
Poor match, but we won - i think we will continue to be towards the bottom 7 of the league for the remainder of this season, we are miles off were the owners want us to be, I hope that they have very deep pockets, I would imagine a fair few who started on Saturday will be moved on during the summer.

If Gerrard wants to implement a more ball retention game plan, then you can see why he will be bringing in a centre half who can pass the ball either in January or next summer, Mings in the 2nd half just went back to hoof ball down the pitch

Ramsey did well on Saturday and for me was our MOTM

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2021, 07:09:54 AM »
It's gonna take time I guess for him to get where we wants to with possession. Way I see it, we get to January and re-assess. We're 4 points off 18th with not exactly the easiest run of games in December and January so we have to keep picking up points here and there with the next game against Palace a case in point.. Got Burnley mid-December at home so if its not a 6 pointer and we have some breathing space by then, he'll have done well

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #250 on: November 22, 2021, 07:22:05 AM »
The next 10 include Palace Leicester  Norwich Burnley Leeds Brentford all have won 4 games or less just like us. The other 4 are the top 3 and Manure.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #251 on: November 22, 2021, 07:30:29 AM »
Yeah I 'd want something at Palace (hopefully the ex-striker curse lays off), City at home, unlikely, Leicester at home, could be managerless by then or just appointed someone, must be looking at a win there, Liverpool away, nope, Norwich away is the wild card and then burnley…. 5 points upto Burnley minimum.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #252 on: November 22, 2021, 07:34:43 AM »
It was clear that BHA had come for a bore-draw or maybe capitalising on sending one or other of our players to sleep and nicking a solitary goal.  To think I voted for Graham Potter in the manager poll.  Perhaps the club is under-resourced and he's doing the best with what he has, but we may have dodged a bullet there.

Look at the resources Potter has and the cost of that squad.
They have no cutting edge and no pace up front.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #253 on: November 22, 2021, 07:59:23 AM »
Seen some stats on Saturday's game.

We were 5th lowest and Brighton 5th highest pressure before the game, but managed to out press them and lead to their 2nd lowest XG of the season.

That was the lowest XG on our own goal since December 2020.

Think Brighton being dull as anything helped.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #254 on: November 22, 2021, 08:29:26 AM »
Saturday was always going to be about getting a result after 5 defeats so considering the new management setup had, in some cases maybe 2 days to prepare with a full squad a 2-0 win and a clean sheet was just what the doctor ordered.
A decent start and the  massive plus for me was that for once the substitutions made a huge difference to the team.

Onto the next one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal