collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2 Brighton 0 post match thread  (Read 30688 times)

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
Re: Aston Villa 2 Brighton 0 post match thread
« Reply #255 on: November 22, 2021, 08:30:07 AM »
Our recent issues can be associated with a lack of confidence......as soon as Olly scored it came streaming back resulting in that last 10 minutes. We looked like the side that battered Everton and beat Utd.

The edgy crowd didn't help and fairplay for SG to mention it. I expect us to go at Palace from the off. Set pieces are their weakness.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2021, 08:44:09 AM »
Agree mostly with the comments about Ramsey (what a player he’s turning into) Buendia (mostly not great, but will find his feet eventually) Mings (bossed it) McGinn (much improved over recent matches). It’s Nakamba’s performance that stuck out for me though- I’ve never really rated him that much, but I thought he did well. Was a tough one for him trying to break up the Bournemouth posession. And he did give the ball away a few times. But he looked more effective. Had to do a double take at one point where he was so far fwd - level with the 5 yard box, but to the right of the penalty area. Don’t think I’ve seen him ever that far forward the whole time he’s been here during open play. Decent team performance - got the job done eventually and with not much fuss. Probably should’ve been 3 if Bailey (think it was him) had scored at 2-0. Pretty pleased with it over all. 2 more wins will probably see us top half again.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2021, 08:49:44 AM »
John's were a bit over Donne but Andrew's were Marvellous.

'John Donne
Undone
Anne Donne'

Shortest poem in the English language? Or is it:

'Madam
I'm
Adam'    (Yeah, it's a palindrome too.)

Isn’t there something by Muhammad Ali?

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #258 on: November 22, 2021, 09:29:14 AM »
Agree mostly with the comments about Ramsey (what a player he’s turning into) Buendia (mostly not great, but will find his feet eventually) Mings (bossed it) McGinn (much improved over recent matches). It’s Nakamba’s performance that stuck out for me though- I’ve never really rated him that much, but I thought he did well. Was a tough one for him trying to break up the Bournemouth posession. And he did give the ball away a few times. But he looked more effective. Had to do a double take at one point where he was so far fwd - level with the 5 yard box, but to the right of the penalty area. Don’t think I’ve seen him ever that far forward the whole time he’s been here during open play. Decent team performance - got the job done eventually and with not much fuss. Probably should’ve been 3 if Bailey (think it was him) had scored at 2-0. Pretty pleased with it over all. 2 more wins will probably see us top half again.

Bloody hell he was everywhere if he broke up the Bournemouth play aswell as Brighton's. ;-)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #259 on: November 22, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »
Bournemouth? 5 yard box?
Our win has discombobulated you, Robbo!   :-)

Offline cdward

« Reply #260 on: November 22, 2021, 10:02:07 AM »
I suppose the final ten minutes, makes up for the final ten minutes of the Wolves collapse. They do say these things even out.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #261 on: November 22, 2021, 10:07:50 AM »
The most pleasing for me was the defence regaining the solidity of the first part of last season. Mings was obviously the standout but they played well as a unit. Once you have that you give yourselves a chance of picking up points from average performances.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #262 on: November 22, 2021, 10:17:48 AM »
Spot on Chris, and we have enough quality in the forward half of the pitch to turn tight games in our favour, something our opponents on Saturday and others do not.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #263 on: November 22, 2021, 10:48:34 AM »
Our main issue at the moment is a lack of creativity and obviously that's because our (and the league's) best creative player was sold in the summer and the replacements haven't yet fired.  But we did look solid again and that's a good platform from which to sort the other things out - so much easier to do if you're not shitting it about getting relegated. 

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #264 on: November 22, 2021, 10:51:03 AM »
We looked like the team we were before we descended into those bizarre, throwback shithouse tactics. Limited going forward due to Ollie being shunted out left, defensively sound but lacking creativity in midfield, able to register a result but the team needs work.

Hopefully the new manager will sort this.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #265 on: November 22, 2021, 11:33:18 AM »
The most pleasing for me was the defence regaining the solidity of the first part of last season. Mings was obviously the standout but they played well as a unit. Once you have that you give yourselves a chance of picking up points from average performances.

It’s something the manager emphasized from the time he got to the club. Keeping it tight, a clean sheet ideally, always gives you a chance to win games at the end. The great Man U sides, as much the notion of “Fergie time” was vomit inducing, fundamentally was always about having a chance to win games or at minimum draw them from losing positions at the very end. Quite noticeably we stepped up a gear in the last 15 and it proved the difference. I want us to start well and finish strong. There will always be periods in the middle that are more balanced or mundane.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #266 on: November 22, 2021, 11:46:11 AM »
We looked like the team we were before we descended into those bizarre, throwback shithouse tactics. Limited going forward due to Ollie being shunted out left, defensively sound but lacking creativity in midfield, able to register a result but the team needs work.

Hopefully the new manager will sort this.

Not a single long throw into the box. The problem with them is that in the 99% of times they don’t work, you give up possession and the central defender you were aiming at is now miles out of position.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #267 on: November 22, 2021, 12:25:21 PM »
We're 4 points off 18th…

On the other hand we’re 6 points off top 6.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #268 on: November 22, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »
The current difference between Villa and wolves is simply a crazy ten minutes. Without that we would both be on 16 points. They are having a 'great season' yet we are somehow viewed as being in a relegation scrap. Ten crazy minutes is all the difference.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #269 on: November 22, 2021, 02:34:19 PM »
The current difference between Villa and wolves is simply a crazy ten minutes. Without that we would both be on 16 points. They are having a 'great season' yet we are somehow viewed as being in a relegation scrap. Ten crazy minutes is all the difference.

Titles have been won and relegations decided on less.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal