collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356436 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #1905 on: January 17, 2022, 11:00:19 PM »
Fabrizio Romano saying Robin Olsen coming in as keeper tomorrow.  Others saying bids for a centre back and a couple of midfielders also made.  I didn't think you bid these days until after the medical had been done etc?

A couple of midfielders is a bit optimistic I think. We have loads as it is currently even if we just revert to one CF now.

I think we'll go big on a DM in last week and that will be it.

CB can wait until the summer unless Kons is going to be out for a while.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #1906 on: January 18, 2022, 11:45:47 AM »
I can't see us spaffing £40m + on Bissouma who is away, unavailable and could potentially return injured.  Zakaria is a more realistic option if we are going to make a signing this month.  That and a CB and we've had the most amazing January.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1907 on: January 18, 2022, 12:42:44 PM »
I would like us to sign DCM in this window.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1908 on: January 18, 2022, 12:45:44 PM »
I can't see us spaffing £40m + on Bissouma who is away, unavailable and could potentially return injured.  Zakaria is a more realistic option if we are going to make a signing this month.  That and a CB and we've had the most amazing January.

If we sign Zakaria in this window I don't think we need to rush into getting another centre back. He can play there just as well as he can play in midfield so I'm ok with him being our 4th choice at centre back for less than 20 games whilst we find the right option to bring in.

The reasons I'd be willing to put it off a little are:
Are we looking for a 4th choice or are we looking for someone that competes with Mings and Konsa to be a regular starter?
Are we looking for a young player who will learnfrom the people in front of him and get better, someone at their peak or an older player on a last payday to fill the gap whilst bogarde/swinkels/feeney/smith/etc continue to progress?
Are we looking for someone with a bit of versatility to cover a few roles to give them more chance of getting gametime?

Also could Zakaria become the latter in the summer if Bissouma gets cleared and we go for him then instead?

If we're desperate to have cover all of those also make me think that maybe a loan would be better for now.

All the other first team signings (assuming a DM and Olson do happen) have been easy to clarify exactly what we're looking for and why but this one is much more complicated.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1909 on: January 18, 2022, 01:02:04 PM »
If the Bissouma links are true and people on here are worried about a pending legal case - a genuine set of questions are

Has he even been charged?
If so then is he out on bail?
and if both of the above are yes why has he been allowed to travel to Africa to play in the AFCON?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1910 on: January 18, 2022, 01:15:01 PM »
If the Bissouma links are true and people on here are worried about a pending legal case - a genuine set of questions are

and if both of the above are yes why has he been allowed to travel to Africa to play in the AFCON?

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2022/01/04/bissouma-can-play-in-africa-cup-after-police-release-him-under-investigation/

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1911 on: January 18, 2022, 01:17:01 PM »

Pretty sure he has been charged and is on bail. Seen it reported that way anyway.

I would be very uncomfortable having someone on the team that may end up guilty of that, and would rather we didn't sign him unless he was cleared first.

Of course the press speculation may be incorrect, in which case he would be an excellent signing.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #1913 on: January 18, 2022, 01:29:09 PM »
I would not want a player of this type who escapes prosecution/conviction etc on a technicality!
If he IS actually innocent, then fair enough but I would sooner go for Zakaria anyway.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1914 on: January 18, 2022, 01:31:54 PM »
I would not want a player of this type who escapes prosecution/conviction etc on a technicality!
If he IS actually innocent, then fair enough but I would sooner go for Zakaria anyway.

Innocent until proven guilty?

The issue is that this may never be cleared up so we need to take a chance or move on

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1915 on: January 18, 2022, 01:40:18 PM »

Jackie G seemed to escape some more serious charges last year when wearing sliders on a footpath in Birmingham...Yorke and McGrath certainly had serious off field issues to mention two previous Villa heroes. Did fans care? Should we?

Innocent until proven guilty it has to be.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1916 on: January 18, 2022, 01:40:45 PM »
So many teams are linked with Zakaria because he'll be a bargain at £6m. Apart from us, Arsenal, Bayern and the Plastics are all linked with him. From the videos I've seen of him he's not a tackler but relies and with some skill to intercept and get the ball moving. Ideally I'd prefer a player that can do both but once again, for that price..

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #1917 on: January 18, 2022, 01:47:06 PM »
That's the point! he may get away with it, but be as guilty as hell. On that basis, I wouldn't want him near us.
On the other hand, as I said before, if he IS innocent, then no problem.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1918 on: January 18, 2022, 01:56:01 PM »
Two men being investigated, one on bail and one not, would indicate that the second one doesn't have much to worry about.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1919 on: January 18, 2022, 02:19:16 PM »
That's the point! he may get away with it, but be as guilty as hell. On that basis, I wouldn't want him near us.
On the other hand, as I said before, if he IS innocent, then no problem.
Well quite.  But how on earth would you ever know?

The way I see it is I'm going to let the club do the due dilligence they feel they need to.  You can bet IF they are looking at him they will know far more detail than fans tearing their hair out on Twitter.

It goes without saying (I hope) that we wouldn't want a player convicted of sexual assault to join us.  But if we feel it's very unlikley that there's a case to answer then there's a pretty small windo where he may just be gettable.  I suspect he'll go to a top 4 team, but if we can get him he seems to me to offer just about everything we need in a DM.  And at his age I think he's the sort of player you should be breaking the bank for.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal