collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:52:23 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 360265 times)

Offline garyellis

Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #1890 on: January 17, 2022, 03:16:54 PM »
Roy Keane is an arse though.
I agree and I am a big fan of Mings just pointing out none Villa views.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1891 on: January 17, 2022, 03:23:20 PM »
I'm a Luiz fan, but if we get in a good DMF we should cash in on him. We have other very good options in MF.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1892 on: January 17, 2022, 03:49:16 PM »
One of the reasons we concede so many goals is because midfielders do not track their runners. All of them are responsible for this, including Luiz. He was asleep for the goal Paul, it’s fact but they are all poor at tracking back.

Yep, I agree, I said as much. I think they're ok at tracking runners if a team is holding on to possession against us and that's backed up pretty well if you watch back the goals we concede. Where we let ourselves down is transitioning from attack to defence. Gerrard has improved us but we still have problems and bad habits and it means we're susceptible to rapid counter attacks. No one in our midfield is particularly good at being 'glass half empty' when we're in possession (and I believe that's a hangover from Smith who has always seemed to struggle to contain counter-attacknig sides) so an attacker, midfielder who is switched on and waiting for a mistake can find themselves loads of space against us a lot more easily than they should do. This is a big part of why we need a proper DM who can read the flow of the game and stop us getting picked off/bullied into mistakes that lead to goals.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1893 on: January 17, 2022, 05:11:32 PM »
From the first time of watching it again, there was never any chance of Mings getting to that ball first. None. He was miles away from it, having sensibly dropped deep to give himself more time once he (should have) received Sanson's pass.

I disagree.  Look at their starting positions. The X is where Fred had his first touch. Tyrone sat on his heels for a fraction of a second until Fred was running at full pace, and by the time he faced him up he was only about 3 or 4 yards outside the box.  You're telling me he couldn't travel more than 3 or 4 yards in the time Fred covered 15?

For the record, I don't blame Tyrone for the goal - he was trying to judge the pace of the ball coming directly at him on a poor back pass and erred on the side of caution rather than rush out and find out it was going so slowly Fred easily gets the first.  But that WAS a mistake - if he sprints the moment he realises it's under hit, he easily gets there first, and in time for a 50/50 in the absolute worst case (which he wins 9 times out of 10).  Dougie had a better view of the pace of the ball from the side, and he called him out to get to it confident he could get there.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #1894 on: January 17, 2022, 06:07:58 PM »
Wonder who was supposed to be tracking McTominey last Monday?

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #1895 on: January 17, 2022, 06:51:36 PM »
The invisible man?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1896 on: January 17, 2022, 07:41:34 PM »

Big Tyrone I think, Konsa certainly seemed to be blaming him afterwards.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1897 on: January 17, 2022, 07:50:40 PM »

Big Tyrone I think, Konsa certainly seemed to be blaming him afterwards.

Centre half tracking their central midfielder?  McTominey ran from the edge of the box, past all four of our midfielders.  Mings is not omnipotent.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1898 on: January 17, 2022, 07:52:50 PM »
Instead of analysing the shit out that second goal, I’d rather cherish Mings for his superb tackle during the second half and the way he helped lead us on to grab a point. His superb burst out of defence was brilliant and summed up our excellent fight back.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1899 on: January 17, 2022, 08:05:39 PM »
Instead of analysing the shit out that second goal, I’d rather cherish Mings for his superb tackle during the second half and the way he helped lead us on to grab a point. His superb burst out of defence was brilliant and summed up our excellent fight back.

Absolutely, and I've made clear I don't blame him for the goal, I just thought it was strange people were blaming other even less culpable players.  It was a mistake by Sanson, it happens.  Barring that incident, both Sanson and Mings actually had pretty good games I thought - Mings, in particular, channelling prime-Baresi in the lead up to the first goal.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1900 on: January 17, 2022, 08:06:15 PM »
Yeah, I agree. I like Tyrone. Think a fair proportion of the mistakes are basically caused by not having a DM in front to help ease the pressure on the back 5.

Don't get why some are marking him out as being a potential upgrade. Mings is a perfectly good defender, at least until we start challenging for a champions League slot on a regular basis.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1901 on: January 17, 2022, 09:08:18 PM »
Analysing the shit m'lord, analyse the shit...

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1902 on: January 17, 2022, 09:45:24 PM »
Fabrizio Romano saying Robin Olsen coming in as keeper tomorrow.  Others saying bids for a centre back and a couple of midfielders also made.  I didn't think you bid these days until after the medical had been done etc?

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1903 on: January 17, 2022, 10:00:56 PM »
At this rate we might have to upgrade it from a Warchest to a War Vault.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1904 on: January 17, 2022, 10:08:31 PM »
From the first time of watching it again, there was never any chance of Mings getting to that ball first. None. He was miles away from it, having sensibly dropped deep to give himself more time once he (should have) received Sanson's pass.

I disagree.  Look at their starting positions. The X is where Fred had his first touch. Tyrone sat on his heels for a fraction of a second until Fred was running at full pace, and by the time he faced him up he was only about 3 or 4 yards outside the box. You're telling me he couldn't travel more than 3 or 4 yards in the time Fred covered 15?

For the record, I don't blame Tyrone for the goal - he was trying to judge the pace of the ball coming directly at him on a poor back pass and erred on the side of caution rather than rush out and find out it was going so slowly Fred easily gets the first.  But that WAS a mistake - if he sprints the moment he realises it's under hit, he easily gets there first, and in time for a 50/50 in the absolute worst case (which he wins 9 times out of 10).  Dougie had a better view of the pace of the ball from the side, and he called him out to get to it confident he could get there.

That statement is a touch inaccurate, mate.
As soon as Sanson makes the attempted pass Fred is moving, and quickly.
When the ball gets to your X that gap is significantly less.

Put a photo of the ball on the X and see the true distance. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal