collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356816 times)

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #1155 on: January 06, 2022, 02:20:34 PM »
It might be the execution but I don’t see Gerrard’s tactics as matching Liverpool. To date, the 10s rarely get beyond the striker and the striker plays off the shoulder rather than firmino’s false 9 role.

It could easily evolve into a Liverpool formation but it’s not what I’ve seen so far.

I actually hope you’re right as the tactics - other than the fullbacks - is quite “safety first” in my opinion, so releasing the midfielders might help.

Edit - I hit reply not quote - this was in response to Paul e and the earlier poster saying SG tactics were the same/similar to Liverpool’s.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 02:24:11 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1156 on: January 06, 2022, 02:33:41 PM »
I can't imagine Coutinho driving a Cortina or an Allegro. Austin Ambassador (Vanden Plas) init.

Austin Ambassador Y reg?

Yeah, throw in the options of velour seats, shag pile carpet, walnut fascia, cassette radio. sunroof and map pockets (for spaghetti junction). If he's any good upgrade him to the Automatic model with the leather seats.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1157 on: January 06, 2022, 02:52:34 PM »
I can't imagine Coutinho driving a Cortina or an Allegro. Austin Ambassador (Vanden Plas) init.

Austin Ambassador Y reg?

Yeah, throw in the options of velour seats, shag pile carpet, walnut fascia, cassette radio. sunroof and map pockets (for spaghetti junction). If he's any good upgrade him to the Automatic model with the leather seats.

You could probably save on the optional headrests as he's not the biggest.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1158 on: January 06, 2022, 02:55:42 PM »

Austin Ambassador Y reg?

Now you may covet a Coutinho, or a Fabinho, marvel at the Robinho, but not me no.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1159 on: January 06, 2022, 03:02:25 PM »

Isn’t the key part of the job for a manager to find ways of getting the best out of players? It’s what Dean did with Grealish for example and Guardiola has, so far, failed to do. Hopefully, in time, Gerrard will work out how to do the same with Ings/Watkins.

I don't think that's a valid comparison at all. Grealish is by far the most talented player we've had in a generation, so Smith channeled absolutely everything through him. Guardiola dosn't need to do that, as he'd got a whole army of talented left sided attacking players. Either Grealish will adapt to the Guardiola way of playing, or he'll sit on the bench behind De Bruyne, Foden, Sterling etc etc. It's a more difficult job to solve the Watkins/Ings conundrum, as frankly they're not as good as Grealish.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1160 on: January 06, 2022, 03:08:30 PM »
It might be the execution but I don’t see Gerrard’s tactics as matching Liverpool. To date, the 10s rarely get beyond the striker and the striker plays off the shoulder rather than firmino’s false 9 role.

It could easily evolve into a Liverpool formation but it’s not what I’ve seen so far.

I actually hope you’re right as the tactics - other than the fullbacks - is quite “safety first” in my opinion, so releasing the midfielders might help.

Edit - I hit reply not quote - this was in response to Paul e and the earlier poster saying SG tactics were the same/similar to Liverpool’s.
He hasn't had time to implement his attacking system yet, so it's a work in progress.  I think it wlll probably move more torwards the Liverpool way as we get the personnel in, in particlar a more attacking leftback.  Long term I think we will continue to have 3 up front like Liverpool, with advanced fullbacks.  Whether people want to call them 10's or wingers is up to them, but that's how I expect us to set up.  This is great for me as it's exactly how I hoped we'd play.

I suspect it will have to be Watkins OR Ings, which is fine by me, I want us to have a deep squad.  Although Watkins is a good player for us I agree with Paul than an on form Ings may be better suited to the role.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1161 on: January 06, 2022, 03:10:17 PM »
I do feel that Watkins is more suited to the high-pressing game Gerrard appears to want us to play.  That's not to say Ings can't do it, I just think Watkins probably has a head start in terms of delivering what the new manager wants from his forwards.

That said, Ings scored a very good goal on Saturday, and obviously, that won't have gone unnoticed.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1162 on: January 06, 2022, 03:18:00 PM »

Isn’t the key part of the job for a manager to find ways of getting the best out of players? It’s what Dean did with Grealish for example and Guardiola has, so far, failed to do. Hopefully, in time, Gerrard will work out how to do the same with Ings/Watkins.

I don't think that's a valid comparison at all. Grealish is by far the most talented player we've had in a generation, so Smith channeled absolutely everything through him. Guardiola dosn't need to do that, as he'd got a whole army of talented left sided attacking players. Either Grealish will adapt to the Guardiola way of playing, or he'll sit on the bench behind De Bruyne, Foden, Sterling etc etc. It's a more difficult job to solve the Watkins/Ings conundrum, as frankly they're not as good as Grealish.

I disagree, you spend £100m to improve the team not to have a bog standard midfielder.

No comparisons in football are going to be perfect but that was just an example of what a manager should be there for. To get the best out of the team and make individual players better otherwise you could just pick a side via committee. It’s why Gerrard has the job rather than me or you.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1163 on: January 06, 2022, 03:18:14 PM »
You know we're actually getting ourselves a bit known in South America, according to a couple of my friends. Obviously we had the cult heroes for mid-level nations in Angel and Solano, but Luiz and especially Emi Martinez have increased our profile a lot continent-wide. Obviously, however, Coutinho would be a whole other level.

In a perfect world we'd find a mexican superstar to go with the MLS franchise and take over most of the americas as people's premier league club of choice. No idea who it could be though.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1164 on: January 06, 2022, 03:19:24 PM »

I disagree, you spend £100m to improve the team not to have a bog standard midfielder.

No comparisons in football are going to be perfect but that was just an example of what a manager should be there for. To get the best out of the team and make individual players better otherwise you could just pick a side via committee. It’s why Gerrard has the job rather than me or you.

Normal rules don't apply to Man City.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1165 on: January 06, 2022, 03:26:39 PM »
They've lost Aguero to forced retirement, maybe chuck them Danny Ings and call it quits?
I was thinking Kenian ...
... isn't that a character from Planet of the Apes?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1166 on: January 06, 2022, 03:27:38 PM »

He hasn't had time to implement his attacking system yet, so it's a work in progress.  I think it wlll probably move more torwards the Liverpool way as we get the personnel in, in particlar a more attacking leftback.  Long term I think we will continue to have 3 up front like Liverpool, with advanced fullbacks.  Whether people want to call them 10's or wingers is up to them, but that's how I expect us to set up.  This is great for me as it's exactly how I hoped we'd play.

I suspect it will have to be Watkins OR Ings, which is fine by me, I want us to have a deep squad.  Although Watkins is a good player for us I agree with Paul than an on form Ings may be better suited to the role.

I suspect Liverpool play the way they do because of Salah more than anything. When you have a guy who is arguably the best player in the world and he wnts to play high but on the right you alter your plans to make that work. At Dortmund he developed into the front 3 being quite fluid with the cnetral player sometimes deeper and sometimes leading the line. Even now when Origi gets gametime they tend to change shape and he plays higher than Firmino or Jota.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1167 on: January 06, 2022, 03:30:21 PM »
I do feel that Watkins is more suited to the high-pressing game Gerrard appears to want us to play.  That's not to say Ings can't do it, I just think Watkins probably has a head start in terms of delivering what the new manager wants from his forwards.

That said, Ings scored a very good goal on Saturday, and obviously, that won't have gone unnoticed.

It's an odd one, I was saying watching we look far less pacy and dynamic in the final third without Ollie pressing, but I don't think he'd have scored that goal and that is what Ings brings to the party!

Offline Risso

« Reply #1168 on: January 06, 2022, 03:32:48 PM »

It's an odd one, I was saying watching we look far less pacy and dynamic in the final third without Ollie pressing, but I don't think he'd have scored that goal and that is what Ings brings to the party!

That's the dilemma. You get more running and pressing with Watkins, but his finishing is hit and miss, preferring mostly to smack the ball into defenders' shins this season. Ings is a better finisher, but contributes less to the team overall.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1169 on: January 06, 2022, 03:45:13 PM »
*Checks to see if H&V has it's own Coutinho thread, sees that is doesn't and gets back to work.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal