collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 362701 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #1170 on: January 06, 2022, 03:46:27 PM »
*Checks to see if H&V has it's own Coutinho thread, sees that is doesn't and gets back to work.

Like a child waiting for Christmas, i've been doing this all day long.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1171 on: January 06, 2022, 03:48:29 PM »
I do feel that Watkins is more suited to the high-pressing game Gerrard appears to want us to play.  That's not to say Ings can't do it, I just think Watkins probably has a head start in terms of delivering what the new manager wants from his forwards.

That said, Ings scored a very good goal on Saturday, and obviously, that won't have gone unnoticed.

It's an odd one, I was saying watching we look far less pacy and dynamic in the final third without Ollie pressing, but I don't think he'd have scored that goal and that is what Ings brings to the party!

That's the dilemma. You get more running and pressing with Watkins, but his finishing is hit and miss, preferring mostly to smack the ball into defenders' shins this season. Ings is a better finisher, but contributes less to the team overall.

We need to put Watkins in to the machine in 'The Fly' and then last second kick Ings in.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1172 on: January 06, 2022, 03:53:11 PM »
It's certainly a conundrum the Watkins/Ings debate.

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #1173 on: January 06, 2022, 04:01:58 PM »
Various places starting to report that his salary is a stumbling block.

Not sure what to believe, as a Villa fan, pessimism is always overly strong for me!

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #1174 on: January 06, 2022, 04:03:33 PM »
Ginola was a brilliant player and would have been a lot better for us if it hadn’t been for John Gregory as manager who didn’t like flare players
The fact he was brought in by Doug didn’t help

When he got a chance even with us he Was a game changer

They just wanted to trouser the cash.
Ginola was never any good at the press.
Bit of a slack workrate at times too.

He only came Farrah last big pay day.
When he came here he'd lost his zip.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1175 on: January 06, 2022, 04:16:44 PM »

Not sure what to believe, as a Villa fan, pessimism is always overly strong for me!

It absolutely will be.  He's on tremendous money, £150k NET I've seen quoted (no idea why so many Spanish wages are quoted net of tax?).  And Barca need a good chunk of that off the wage bill to register Torres.  So I'm sure they have a line where it's not worth letting Coutinho go, if it doesn't get them a good way to being able to register Torres.

To pay £100k a week during the loan doesn't cover even HALF his wages, so it's no surprise it's a stumbling block.  If we set a precedent for paying well over £100k a week for a player we won't even own, I fear for what will be asked of us in future contract negotiations.

Personally, I think we'll end up doing a deal where the loan 'fee' is used so our wages 'contribution' can stay in line with our own pay scale.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #1176 on: January 06, 2022, 04:37:30 PM »
Really think this will be a BIG mistake , not the player we need, we are desperate for a CDM,LB,CD Cover,Goalkeeper Cover.

I know he is a big name but we need to prioritise positions rather than Romantic signings . With us sliding down the table and that horrendous showing against Brentford we need a big reality check and solve the weak spots in the team.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1177 on: January 06, 2022, 04:38:12 PM »
Don't think it's happening anyway. He'll end up saving Newcastle. Probably scoring against us in the process.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1178 on: January 06, 2022, 04:38:39 PM »
Really think this will be a BIG mistake , not the player we need, we are desperate for a CDM,LB,CD Cover,Goalkeeper Cover.

I know he is a big name but we need to prioritise positions rather than Romantic signings . With us sliding down the table and that horrendous showing against Brentford we need a big reality check and solve the weak spots in the team.

He might help us sell all those empty seats though?  Got to be a positive.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1179 on: January 06, 2022, 04:45:32 PM »

You'd be gutted if we signed him, wouldn't you?

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1180 on: January 06, 2022, 04:52:20 PM »
Bloody Hell, according to Twitter Phil doesnt seem to bright. 

Loads of people saying hes not coming to villa off, but also people say he is looking for a accomedation near B6. 

On the bright side, he'll be knackered driving to London or Newcastle each day so shouldnt make too much of an impact

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1181 on: January 06, 2022, 04:54:15 PM »

It’s inevitable that a day later that some no names will start to make shit up to keep the story alive. Villa or any other club would have known through Barcelona and his agent what the salary is and what the mix might be if shared. But now his salary is a stumbling block. Not really because in all cases it’s an advantage to Barcelona and they need to shift him to make room for other players. The player needs to play ahead of the WC so won’t be a massive dick about it. So a deal will be reached. I reckon that this is done, he will be a Villa player but naturally details are being finalized as they always need to be.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1182 on: January 06, 2022, 04:56:04 PM »

It’s inevitable that a day later that some no names will start to make shit up to keep the story alive. Villa or any other club would have known through Barcelona and his agent what the salary is and what the mix might be if shared. But now his salary is a stumbling block. Not really because in all cases it’s an advantage to Barcelona and they need to shift him to make room for other players. The player needs to play ahead of the WC so won’t be a massive dick about it. So a deal will be reached. I reckon that this is done, he will be a Villa player but naturally details are being finalized as they always need to be.
I think we are entering the Joe will Sign for Man City / Sign a new contract a Villa stage of the deal

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1183 on: January 06, 2022, 05:01:19 PM »
Well if Villa Twitter is to be believed get yourself onto FlightRadar and watch his chartered Cessna get him from BCN to BHX. Whatever happened to TheTrees?

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #1184 on: January 06, 2022, 05:04:32 PM »

You'd be gutted if we signed him, wouldn't you?
I get the impression some people would be gutted whoever we signed.
Personally I think it would be a brilliant signing as long as there are others.
It would certainly make a big positive statement and get us great exposure.
And also if Gerrard does get it over the line he's only doing what other managers do and bring in players who they admire and trust.
You know like Paul Lambert and Grant Holt.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal