collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356781 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #1110 on: January 06, 2022, 11:10:07 AM »
Yes. But this is Villa. He’ll need a month to find match fitness, then when he starts he’ll get injured. He’ll come back for the last 3 games, perform moderately well then sign for PSG in the summer.
That sounds eerily like what usually happens to us.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1111 on: January 06, 2022, 11:11:36 AM »
James did not workout anywhere in Europe. Has ben stealing a living based on on one lucky dip.

He was brilliant for Porto.
Please don't bring facts/reality into this.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1112 on: January 06, 2022, 11:12:41 AM »
James did not workout anywhere in Europe. Has ben stealing a living based on on one lucky dip.

Probably fair to say he's never quite lived up to his potential, especially after his big money move to Real Madrid but he was pretty good for Porto, his first stop in Europe after leaving Banfield.

The comparisons with Coutinho are pretty similar I supposed as he moved at an early age to Inter Milan and struggled to adapt, not living up to his early promise. His most successful football coming in that Liverpool team but unable to recreate it since.

First 10 games of last season he was outstanding for Everton, then got injuries and it got a bit cold.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1113 on: January 06, 2022, 11:13:31 AM »
Guessing we are looking at two number ten's behind a single striker with a midfield three (one of them holding) and the full backs providing width.

Wasn't this his favoured formation at Rangers?

I believe so.  By his second season he had two number tens.

Is there a club/manager who has used this previously i.e. who set the template.  It is naturally very solid but decent attacking full backs are essential and also a willingness for two midfielders to fill in for the fullbacks when they bomb forward.

Didn't read the replies so it might have bene answered but this is pretty much the liverpool system, 2 inverted wingers playing either side of a central striker with the option to go beyond him at times. What's missing is the extreme pace of Mane, which hopefully Bailey can add and then we're rotating between him, coutinho, buendia and traore/chuk as the options, and changing it up based on the opposition. It's also worth noting that Ings is probably closer to Firmino in style than watkins so how we end up using those 2 if this happens will be interesting.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1114 on: January 06, 2022, 11:23:03 AM »
I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes, typical Brummie negativity!

I'll start to believe if/when he gets his own thread!

It already has (on SHA).

Quelle surprise

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1115 on: January 06, 2022, 11:24:54 AM »
I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes, typical Brummie negativity!

I'll start to believe if/when he gets his own thread!

It already has (on SHA).

Quelle surprise

Yes what else is happening at the Villa , they will know

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1116 on: January 06, 2022, 11:25:16 AM »

Probably fair to say he's never quite lived up to his potential, especially after his big money move to Real Madrid but he was pretty good for Porto, his first stop in Europe after leaving Banfield.

The comparisons with Coutinho are pretty similar I supposed as he moved at an early age to Inter Milan and struggled to adapt, not living up to his early promise. His most successful football coming in that Liverpool team but unable to recreate it since.

First 10 games of last season he was outstanding for Everton, then got injuries and it got a bit cold.

I think it's an unfair comparison. Coutinho works a lot harder than James ever has so whilst they have comparible stats they're very different players. I remember having a few people on here have a go at me because I said that whilst James was getting loads of praise he was being bypassed for large periods of games but I stand by it, he's talented but never really wanted to put the effort in to achieve his potential, the fact that's he's playing in the middle east as a 30 year old says everything about his attitude in my opinion. Coutinho on the other hand seems determined to get back into the premier league and prove himself again.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1117 on: January 06, 2022, 11:29:53 AM »
Gerrard doesn't seem to have the personality to indulge a flair player (did he drop Morelos at Rangers for acting the bollix?).

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1118 on: January 06, 2022, 11:34:10 AM »
Now I know it is from Football Insider but basically this is the suggestion currently doing the rounds;

Loan deal is progressing with us funding half of his wages.  But his lot are waiting to see if any other offers come in and that Barcelona want us to commit to buying him at the end of the loan spell - low fee etc.  But with us spreading all of his wages out over a longer contract.  A bit like what we managed to convince SHA to do with Hogan.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1119 on: January 06, 2022, 11:38:47 AM »
Gerrard doesn't seem to have the personality to indulge a flair player (did he drop Morelos at Rangers for acting the bollix?).

He dropped him for another reason I think. Being completely shit is my guess.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1120 on: January 06, 2022, 11:48:06 AM »
Now I know it is from Football Insider but basically this is the suggestion currently doing the rounds;

Loan deal is progressing with us funding half of his wages.  But his lot are waiting to see if any other offers come in and that Barcelona want us to commit to buying him at the end of the loan spell - low fee etc.  But with us spreading all of his wages out over a longer contract.  A bit like what we managed to convince SHA to do with Hogan.

Sounds about right. However I can't imagine our lot committing to buy a player on those wages on a sold as seen basis. They're not stupid, and he'll have to do it on the pitch first.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1121 on: January 06, 2022, 11:53:46 AM »

I think it's an unfair comparison. Coutinho works a lot harder than James ever has so whilst they have comparible stats they're very different players. I remember having a few people on here have a go at me because I said that whilst James was getting loads of praise he was being bypassed for large periods of games but I stand by it, he's talented but never really wanted to put the effort in to achieve his potential, the fact that's he's playing in the middle east as a 30 year old says everything about his attitude in my opinion. Coutinho on the other hand seems determined to get back into the premier league and prove himself again.

Even so, 6 goal and 4 assists in 21 league games is pretty good going.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1122 on: January 06, 2022, 11:59:25 AM »
Hopefully the timing of the World Cup plays into our hands.  6 months of guranteed playing time for his old mucker Stevie G is just what he needs to play himself in to the Brazil squad.  Clubs currently higher up the food chain may be more appealing longer term, but does he want to risk being understudy for Mane and Salah right before the w/c?

Right now we must be a decent fit for him.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1123 on: January 06, 2022, 12:04:58 PM »

Even so, 6 goal and 4 assists in 21 league games is pretty good going.

I agree, he has always had a roughly 1 in 2 'goal involvements' stat but just watching him play he's never, for me, looked like someone who was willing or able to really take hold of a game, which is what most players of hat sort of value excel at. It's similar (but on a much higher scale) to what Lansbury did (before we signed him), the odd good performance, flashes of quality in most games but very rarely dictating the game and 'winning it on his own'.

I'm less bothered than many on here if an attacking player doesn't bust a gut defensively but if you're the 'best' player in the team I do expect you to make teams come up with a plan to stop you. Look at how teams approached Grealish last year, they were scared nd kne wthat he could take the game away from them, and he regularly did it anyway. I don't think I've ever seen James have that sort of impact.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #1124 on: January 06, 2022, 12:07:44 PM »
I predict this will be announced before the game on Monday.

12 month loan with option to buy.

I know nothing BTW. Just my prediction.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal