collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356515 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #1095 on: January 06, 2022, 10:44:03 AM »
You youts bangin on about 10's and 8's.
I'm an old guy; first game at VP in 1966 v Sunderland.
Number 8 was inside right and number 10 was inside left. I'm talking Tommy Mictham, Brian Godfrey, Peter Broadbent, Lionel Martin.  Give me a break. Cut me some slack.

Those were not the days, my friends, but neither are these. It's fucked up, if you ask me. 

People like to call it two number 10's but for me it's just 3 up top but with the two wider players playing quite narrow.  I think we will evolve more to the Liverpool style where Mane and Salah don't play quite as narrow as we are at the moment, but they still rely on their full backs for much of the width.

As for Coutinho it would be a huge statement.  One of the higheest profile transfers we will have made in the last 4o years.  How many truly world class players have we signed whilst still young enough to be at their peak?  It may not work out, like James at Everton who was decent but cost them a fortune in wages and never kicked them on to where they wanted to be.  But in terms of a 'fuck me look at Villa' signing, it would be incredible and hopefully will help us retain our best players as they can see the scale of our ambition.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1096 on: January 06, 2022, 10:50:21 AM »
You youts bangin on about 10's and 8's.
I'm an old guy; first game at VP in 1966 v Sunderland.
Number 8 was inside right and number 10 was inside left. I'm talking Tommy Mictham, Brian Godfrey, Peter Broadbent, Lionel Martin.  Give me a break. Cut me some slack.

Those were not the days, my friends, but neither are these. It's fucked up, if you ask me. 

People like to call it two number 10's but for me it's just 3 up top but with the two wider players playing quite narrow.  I think we will evolve more to the Liverpool style where Mane and Salah don't play quite as narrow as we are at the moment, but they still rely on their full backs for much of the width.

As for Coutinho it would be a huge statement.  One of the higheest profile transfers we will have made in the last 4o years.  How many truly world class players have we signed whilst still young enough to be at their peak?  It may not work out, like James at Everton who was decent but cost them a fortune in wages and never kicked them on to where they wanted to be.  But in terms of a 'fuck me look at Villa' signing, it would be incredible and hopefully will help us retain our best players as they can see the scale of our ambition.

I just fear the info is all on the Spanish end, which makes me wonder if we are being used to flush a Spurs or a Chelsea out.

James at Everton was never going to work with Rafa

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1097 on: January 06, 2022, 10:52:23 AM »
Hourihane??

Coutinho has the feel of Juninho about it. Its a deal top 6 clubs pull off, not Villa.

For most of my life we were seen as a top six club, even when not in the top six places.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1098 on: January 06, 2022, 10:54:03 AM »
James did not workout anywhere in Europe. Has ben stealing a living based on on one lucky dip.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1099 on: January 06, 2022, 10:55:42 AM »
Odds have drifted a bit but we're still favourites (I know) for him with Skybet. Think Arsenal are prioritising Vlahović but I'd be wary of Spurs being interested as they've come in to 4/1.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1100 on: January 06, 2022, 10:56:43 AM »
The way I see it we've got nothing to lose, If he's knackered or past it, we'll soon find out. If he's a success then we'd be in the driving seat to sign him permanently in the summer. As long as we're not diverting money from bringing in players in more urgent positions then I don't see a problem.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1101 on: January 06, 2022, 10:56:51 AM »
It is a complete no-brainer that if we can, we should sign Coutinho.  I think any naysaying is a possibly a defence mechanism to us being pipped by another club.  He is the exact type of player a club wanting to break into 'the elite' (PUKE) needs to make, alongside younger up and coming stars and squad players we've already ben buying.

Something makes me think we'll miss out though - probably to somebody like Newcastle (stupid wages) or West Ham (London).  Suppose we have the fact Gerrard knows him in our favour.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1102 on: January 06, 2022, 10:57:57 AM »
I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes, typical Brummie negativity!

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1103 on: January 06, 2022, 11:00:00 AM »

I'll start to believe if/when he gets his own thread!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1104 on: January 06, 2022, 11:01:45 AM »
In the usual tradition of H&V what we need to do is find him a house in either Little Aston or Dorridge  and then we will be ready. So any gen on what's going on with Estate Agents?

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1105 on: January 06, 2022, 11:05:05 AM »
I think Liverpool are the main danger. Their owners have been getting a lot of stick for their lack of spending so the return of one their greats would take the heat off them.. Certainly help them out with Mane and Salah gone, but depends if Klopp fancies him.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1106 on: January 06, 2022, 11:06:24 AM »

I'll start to believe if/when he gets his own thread!

It already has (on SHA).

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1107 on: January 06, 2022, 11:08:04 AM »
James did not workout anywhere in Europe. Has ben stealing a living based on on one lucky dip.

He was brilliant for Porto.

Offline PhilVill

• Centre Right, but nice with it 😉😙
« Reply #1108 on: January 06, 2022, 11:08:51 AM »
Big yes from me, low risk and if finds 60% of the magic he had, he'd still be great.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #1109 on: January 06, 2022, 11:10:02 AM »

Probably fair to say he's never quite lived up to his potential, especially after his big money move to Real Madrid but he was pretty good for Porto, his first stop in Europe after leaving Banfield.

The comparisons with Coutinho are pretty similar I supposed as he moved at an early age to Inter Milan and struggled to adapt, not living up to his early promise. His most successful football coming in that Liverpool team but unable to recreate it since.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal