collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356846 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »
Seeing Tuanzebe has some history as a holding midfielder I wondered if he was in Smith's thoughts but obviously not. Another baffling signing.
I thought he made/makes sense as a short term signing to provide cover. If we were playing 4 at the back, having him & Hause as backups to Konsa & Mings respectively feels ok for a club in our position. Neither are amazing, but posting alongside 3 stronger defenders they'd be fine - you would get relegated with a defence like that IMO.

Absolutely bewildering why you'd play him as 1st choice though. As a 1st choice defender, he's exactly the sort of player you'd expect to have in a relegation battle.

yeah, surely if Man U wanted him in the shop window they wouldn't have sanctioned the loan if he was a going as a reserve. Maybe Smith actually rated him? Looking back with the benefit of hindsight at him and Young signing I think he just ran out of money to bring anyone more long term in to replace Engels, Elmo and Taylor

I can say this with 100% certainty now: Dean doesn't sign the players.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2021, 09:20:53 AM »
Seeing Tuanzebe has some history as a holding midfielder I wondered if he was in Smith's thoughts but obviously not. Another baffling signing.
I thought he made/makes sense as a short term signing to provide cover. If we were playing 4 at the back, having him & Hause as backups to Konsa & Mings respectively feels ok for a club in our position. Neither are amazing, but posting alongside 3 stronger defenders they'd be fine - you would get relegated with a defence like that IMO.

Absolutely bewildering why you'd play him as 1st choice though. As a 1st choice defender, he's exactly the sort of player you'd expect to have in a relegation battle.

yeah, surely if Man U wanted him in the shop window they wouldn't have sanctioned the loan if he was a going as a reserve. Maybe Smith actually rated him? Looking back with the benefit of hindsight at him and Young signing I think he just ran out of money to bring anyone more long term in to replace Engels, Elmo and Taylor

I can say this with 100% certainty now: Dean doesn't sign the players.

heh. Yeah and that worried the hell out of me tbh. And still worries me. NOT a fan of that way of doing things.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2021, 09:26:54 AM »

Agreed, it was a perfectly sensible back up signing for me, although I think he probably has a higher ceiling than Hause and would have thought he'd be a bit more than relegation fodder once in a settled back 4.

Offline steamer

« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2021, 06:25:36 PM »
We have had the guy on loan how many times on loan and never signed him
Having him and young as backups to their respective positions made sense to me
But not trying to fit them into the 1st 11

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2021, 08:03:42 PM »

Agreed, it was a perfectly sensible back up signing for me, although I think he probably has a higher ceiling than Hause and would have thought he'd be a bit more than relegation fodder once in a settled back 4.
not according to manure fans , he has been unimpressive in training and under 23 games.
In other words he has done nothing to justify his inclusion in our first team.
Let’s face it, this is one of the decisions that has cost Smith his job.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2021, 09:20:02 AM »
I think the current back 4 would be fine if we had midfielders who can manage the transition from defence better: look at the game at Arse and the times McGinn got caught 35 yds from our goal, facing to our goal and under pressure. Sure, Luiz is good in that situation and maybe Sanson is too; but we need 3 midfielders (with adequate replacements in the squad) to play out as Smith seemed to want us to.
The other issue in playing out from the back is that the midfielders need better movement around them, so that the next pass is immediately on: the whole approach requires a pass-and-move mentality. This season we have lacked that.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2021, 09:57:15 AM »
For me the problem is in midfield.It's easy to pass out from the back if the midfield players provide a choice of passes.The real technical skill comes in midfield where very accurate short passing can  bypass the opposition.Buendia and Doug have that ability.
Too often our outball has been to the full back who gets  blocked in on the touchline.Grealish was the means of unblocking this congestion.Southgate's England have the same problem.Midfielders are often too far from the ball and not close enough to one another.This is more a tactical problem rather than one of personnel.
Smith sometimes picked a midfield that was poor at regaining possession or in its defensive work,especially wide players not tracking back.Getting the balance in midfield is key for us and an upgrade on Nakamba should be the priority.

Spot on. This is how I see it too.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2021, 10:02:14 AM »

not according to manure fans , he has been unimpressive in training and under 23 games.
It's all very well with hindsight, but Smith had seen him play in the real world multiple times and was happy with him as backup - I'd take his view over internet Man U fans who now seem to be watching training.  What costs us, Smith and Axel was the unsettled formation and trying to force the disasterous 3 at the back.  And that is on Smith.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »

It's all very well with hindsight, but Smith had seen him play in the real world multiple times and was happy with him as backup - I'd take his view over internet Man U fans who now seem to be watching training.  What costs us, Smith and Axel was the unsettled formation and trying to force the disasterous 3 at the back.  And that is on Smith.
its not internet , I know them and they have close connections with the club.
He has been pretty shit from the start alongside Mings. The point being he has not been on form for some times and Smith gambled with him and the formation.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2021, 10:20:53 AM »
So far, I think I'm right in saying we've been linked with Rangers' Left Back, Right Back, Central Midfielder, Winger and Striker. Kamara being the main link I think. The media really is so very lazy.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2021, 10:28:21 AM »
Did Gerrard bring any Liverpool youth players to Rangers? That would have been pretty logical - players that he knew, who needed first team experience at a lower level, Rangers could have used them, wins all round. If he didn't do that, indicating no particular attachment to players he knows in recruitment (over which he does not have full control at Villa anyway), what are the chances he'll do it at Villa? Bringing in players from a lower level, in positions already crowded with talent? Strikes me as unlikely.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »
Did Gerrard bring any Liverpool youth players to Rangers? That would have been pretty logical - players that he knew, who needed first team experience at a lower level, Rangers could have used them, wins all round. If he didn't do that, indicating no particular attachment to players he knows in recruitment (over which he does not have full control at Villa anyway), what are the chances he'll do it at Villa? Bringing in players from a lower level, in positions already crowded with talent? Strikes me as unlikely.

Ryan Kent went there under him but I think that's it.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2021, 10:33:34 AM »
Liverpool's kids didn't look too much cop when our kids beat them in the Youth Cup Final.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2021, 10:34:37 AM »
So far, I think I'm right in saying we've been linked with Rangers' Left Back, Right Back, Central Midfielder, Winger and Striker. Kamara being the main link I think. The media really is so very lazy.

Yes come on lads, where are the links to the central defenders?!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2021, 10:37:05 AM »

Ryan Kent went there under him but I think that's it.

3-4 others on loan in the first year or so under him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal