collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356751 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2021, 07:10:01 PM »
It’s alright banging on about forward players wide players attacking midfield players we’ve got plenty of good ones just a case of finding the right mix

Our biggest weakness is coming out of from the back, That slow lumbering pass it around for 10 minutes then back to the goalkeeper as soon as any pressure is applied
all 4 of our first pick central defenders are not comfortable with the ball and even less likely to have the technical ability to play it out from the back with any effectiveness , this will be a big problem for the new manager
I think he might rectify this first and any new players coming in January might be in this area

The link from defence to midfield to attack is so important if we can’t do it effectively no matter who you’ve Got playing upfront they will be restricted by Poor quality ball coming forward
I would say it’s even more important than the mythical CDM who people think will turn Us into a proper team, it won’t if the defence can’t be trusted

I'm going to disagree I think Konsa/Mings are more than adequate distributors or technical ballplayers but if the midfield mix isn't right then its pointless playing out from the back. Its quite noticeable when Doug isn't playing how poor we are at keeping hold of the ball or being progressive up the pitch. As I think Ads has pointed out several times our problems in defence and attack always stem from our midfield balance and inability to transition effectively.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2021, 07:32:20 PM »
It’s alright banging on about forward players wide players attacking midfield players we’ve got plenty of good ones just a case of finding the right mix

Our biggest weakness is coming out of from the back, That slow lumbering pass it around for 10 minutes then back to the goalkeeper as soon as any pressure is applied
all 4 of our first pick central defenders are not comfortable with the ball and even less likely to have the technical ability to play it out from the back with any effectiveness , this will be a big problem for the new manager
I think he might rectify this first and any new players coming in January might be in this area

The link from defence to midfield to attack is so important if we can’t do it effectively no matter who you’ve Got playing upfront they will be restricted by Poor quality ball coming forward
I would say it’s even more important than the mythical CDM who people think will turn Us into a proper team, it won’t if the defence can’t be trusted

I'm going to disagree I think Konsa/Mings are more than adequate distributors or technical ballplayers but if the midfield mix isn't right then its pointless playing out from the back. Its quite noticeable when Doug isn't playing how poor we are at keeping hold of the ball or being progressive up the pitch. As I think Ads has pointed out several times our problems in defence and attack always stem from our midfield balance and inability to transition effectively.

I don’t think they’re anywhere near good enough technically but we’ll have to wait and see what Gerard thinks I suppose

I’d be very surprised if he sees Hause and to Tuanzebe as the future and I think need replacing, Konsa is okay but Mings needs to up his game a couple of levels imo
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 07:34:02 PM by john e »

Offline charlatan

« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2021, 07:33:14 PM »
Maybe he could persuade Milner to return for a dual player/erm Assistant Lead Sports scientist Analysis coach role? You can't have enough coaches I reckon.
Was wondering, is there a maximum number of coaches you're allowed? Could we have, like, 30k "coaches" and turn every match in to a defacto home game, for example?
Our players appear confused enough as it is!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2021, 07:36:34 PM »
Would you turn your nose up at Lingard?  Don't think I would.
I'd have him - proved at West Ham what he can do. He'd be a better option than Traore - who seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2021, 07:36:59 PM »
However, I think we need a commanding centre back and a DM more.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2021, 08:23:48 PM »

For me the problem is in midfield.It's easy to pass out from the back if the midfield players provide a choice of passes.The real technical skill comes in midfield where very accurate short passing can  bypass the opposition.Buendia and Doug have that ability.
Too often our outball has been to the full back who gets  blocked in on the touchline.Grealish was the means of unblocking this congestion.Southgate's England have the same problem.Midfielders are often too far from the ball and not close enough to one another.This is more a tactical problem rather than one of personnel.
Smith sometimes picked a midfield that was poor at regaining possession or in its defensive work,especially wide players not tracking back.Getting the balance in midfield is key for us and an upgrade on Nakamba should be the priority.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2021, 08:31:04 PM »
Would be wild if, with Watkins and Ings available, Gerrard put Buendia as a false 9. Don't think that's at all likely as it happens, but I do think that Buendia is almost tailor-made for Gerrard's two-10s system from Rangers.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2021, 10:21:23 PM »
yeah i'd totally forgotten Ings time working with Gerrard until that interview.

Seems Gerrard was really supportive when Ings did his ACL about 5 games in to his Liverpool career.

He'll be number one striker here, don't think there's any doubt. Ollie will have to work things out from out wide or on the bench as he's really not playing well enough to justify his place currently.

Why on earth would there be no doubt? Watkins is a fabulous player, whose work ethic and willingness to learn has been discussed at length. He scored a lot of goals and was a constant menace in defense with his pressing game.

Yeah all that was in 20-21, not this season though. Aside from two nice close range finishes Ollie has struggled so far.

Ings hasn't been that good either tbh in general play which has been disappointing but I'd say he'll be one of those players that finds extra 5-10% with who we've appointed as manager and he's not as easy to fit into a 4-3-3 so to me he simply starts as CF.

Only way other than pushing Ollie out wide would be 4-3-1-2 but then we just bench all our wide players so can't see that happening.

Wouldn't be a huge shock if manager favours player he's worked with before anyway so if Ings is fit he starts upfront on Saturday and we certainly won't be playing 3-5-2.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2021, 08:30:16 AM »
Ollie has been mor3 impressive than Ings

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2021, 08:41:37 AM »
Being linked with Patterson now. Another obvious though logical lazy journalist punt I think. Added points for playing as nearly as many games for Scotland than he's managed for Rangers.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 08:44:23 AM by sickbeggar »

Offline villa for life

« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2021, 08:49:30 AM »
So many of our problems are/were down to Smith asking McGinn to play a defensive role.

We’ve forgotten how good he can be. He was our star player at on point with the big boys starting to get interested and fees of 60-80 million being bandied about. It all changed when Smith asked him to take on the role of defensive midfielder.

He still plays very close if not part of the front three for Scotland and you can see what results they are getting. More often than not, McGinn is named man or one of the men of the match. My greatest wish is for Gerrard to notice Smith’s error and once again put him much further forward, as Gerrard himself used to play.

Luiz is much better at defending, but he also has or used to have a tendency to get forward. Such an imbalanced squad which can’t solely be blamed on Smith. I often wonder if Cash couldn’t do a better job as a defensive midfielder. Pity we let guilbert go out on loan otherwise we could try it..

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2021, 08:54:51 AM »
Seeing Tuanzebe has some history as a holding midfielder I wondered if he was in Smith's thoughts but obviously not. Another baffling signing.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2021, 09:02:43 AM »
Seeing Tuanzebe has some history as a holding midfielder I wondered if he was in Smith's thoughts but obviously not. Another baffling signing.
I thought he made/makes sense as a short term signing to provide cover. If we were playing 4 at the back, having him & Hause as backups to Konsa & Mings respectively feels ok for a club in our position. Neither are amazing, but posting alongside 3 stronger defenders they'd be fine - you would get relegated with a defence like that IMO.

Absolutely bewildering why you'd play him as 1st choice though. As a 1st choice defender, he's exactly the sort of player you'd expect to have in a relegation battle.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2021, 09:10:18 AM »
I thought he made/makes sense as a short term signing to provide cover. If we were playing 4 at the back, having him & Hause as backups to Konsa & Mings respectively feels ok for a club in our position. Neither are amazing, but posting alongside 3 stronger defenders they'd be fine - you would get relegated with a defence like that IMO.

Absolutely bewildering why you'd play him as 1st choice though. As a 1st choice defender, he's exactly the sort of player you'd expect to have in a relegation battle.

yeah, surely if Man U wanted him in the shop window they wouldn't have sanctioned the loan if he was a going as a reserve. Maybe Smith actually rated him? Looking back with the benefit of hindsight at him and Young signing I think he just ran out of money to bring anyone more long term in to replace Engels, Elmo and Taylor

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »
Gerrard wil see JM as an attacking midfielder which he should have been all along. The defence is fine as a last line but when you have a piss weak midfield and an un co-odinated forward set up that allows the opposition the space and time it's no wonder they get over run and then we start blaming them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal