collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by devilla
[Today at 01:00:22 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - reflection & appreciation  (Read 71032 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Dean Smith - reflection & appreciation
« Reply #450 on: November 25, 2021, 09:06:34 AM »
He's not shit as a AM as far as I can see. Seems to have that in his game or at least the potential. Why he was never tried or converted to one is a bit of mystery because as a forward he is shit in the only way that matters, i.e. putting the ball in the net.

Doesn't matter now anyway because he's blocking the progression of the kids. We need the likes of Archer at 19 getting regular game time just as Davis got at 19 and with Ing and Watkins possibly fighting for one place there is no room for him

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #451 on: November 25, 2021, 09:18:04 AM »
Davis is a nuisance. He's fast and strong and throwing him on for the last 5 minutes of games if we're losing was at one point a useful option to have from the bench, but hopefully we'll have far better strikers to bring on in these situations going forward.

I don't think he's a regular Premier League striker, but I can see why he'd be useful for Norwich, particularly if they get relegated.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #452 on: November 25, 2021, 11:11:22 AM »
He's not shit as a AM as far as I can see. Seems to have that in his game or at least the potential. Why he was never tried or converted to one is a bit of mystery because as a forward he is shit in the only way that matters, i.e. putting the ball in the net.

Doesn't matter now anyway because he's blocking the progression of the kids. We need the likes of Archer at 19 getting regular game time just as Davis got at 19 and with Ing and Watkins possibly fighting for one place there is no room for him

Ah the old H&V “Shit in his preferred position, so suggest trying him somewhere else because you feel sorry for him” gambit. See also Tuanzebe, A. ;)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #453 on: November 25, 2021, 12:12:14 PM »

Ah the old H&V “Shit in his preferred position, so suggest trying him somewhere else because you feel sorry for him” gambit. See also Tuanzebe, A. ;)

Not feeling sorry for him really. I just thought he did a good job on occasions with creating stuff for others and being a nuisance. He obviously may not be as good as what we had/have in the squad already in the AM role, but at least he showed some promise, but it's all a bit late now. His preferred role as a less prolific Heskey circa 2010 is only going to get him a gig at a much lower standard than we are currently. He's had plenty of chances to prove he was upto the job imo.If Smith offered 500k i'd bite his hand off.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #454 on: November 25, 2021, 12:15:08 PM »
Think Davis has been terribly unfortunate with injuries, and I do like him as a player ... but I just can't see him fulfilling anything like his potentially at Villa Park.  There's two strikers he's not going to get ahead of, in Ings & Watkins, until it's far too late for him.

Think he may well make a decent Premier League striker, but he needs to be the regular starter for a couple of seasons first, and he's just not going to get that with us.  If Norwich can offer that for him, then it feels like it might be the best move for everyone concerned.  We'll get rid of a player who's blocking a path for Archer etc, Keinan will finally be able to get a run of games under his belt, and Norwich will hopefully (for them & Davis) get a decent striker on the cheap.

Can imagine why Deano wants him - if Norwich want to move to being a side who plays quickly on the counter attack - which may well suit them - then he'd be a really handy player to have.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:16:58 PM by algy »

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #455 on: November 25, 2021, 01:02:43 PM »
I think Norwich need a striker who scores goals. Not one that doesn’t.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #456 on: November 25, 2021, 01:52:21 PM »
I think Norwich need a striker who scores goals. Not one that doesn’t.
I'd say the opposite.  The more clubs in our division (other than ourselves) who have non-goalscoring strikers, the better.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #457 on: November 25, 2021, 01:53:43 PM »
Davis to Norwich ASAP then.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #458 on: November 25, 2021, 09:54:28 PM »
He was injured.

Not at the start of 2019 season. He scored v Crewe as mentioned in the article and came on v West Ham in middle of September.

That would've been ideal time to get him playing every week up to January given we had Wesley and Kodj as the senior strikers at that time.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #459 on: November 25, 2021, 10:21:18 PM »
He was injured.

Not at the start of 2019 season. He scored v Crewe as mentioned in the article and came on v West Ham in middle of September.

That would've been ideal time to get him playing every week up to January given we had Wesley and Kodj as the senior strikers at that time.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about him going there this summer, as was rumoured.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #460 on: November 25, 2021, 10:31:38 PM »
He was injured.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about him going there this summer, as was rumoured.

Wesley and Kodj as our senior strikers, f*ck me, someone somewhere thought we could ok in the premier league with that strikeforce!!

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #461 on: November 25, 2021, 10:59:07 PM »
It's ok. We strengthened it with Baston.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #462 on: November 25, 2021, 11:01:11 PM »
Don't forget about Samatta.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #463 on: November 27, 2021, 01:49:15 AM »
Davis was playing well in the league cup games that season, then picked up a calf injury against the Dogheads.

Offline steamer

« Reply #464 on: November 27, 2021, 05:06:49 AM »
Is Samatta still on our books or did someone buy him ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal