collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - reflection & appreciation  (Read 71024 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Dean Smith - reflection & appreciation
« Reply #480 on: December 01, 2021, 07:35:25 AM »
That’s pretty much been our problem for a while, even with Grealish in form we struggled to beat the teams like Burnley and West Ham who are very organised and tight at the back. When a team has ten men they tighten up and sit deep and being organised is probably a massive focus.

It is something Smith needs to learn or find that coach to work alongside him. Ferguson always needed that help and at times when they lost certain coaches their form dipped temporarily.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #481 on: December 01, 2021, 07:43:54 AM »
That’s pretty much been our problem for a while, even with Grealish in form we struggled to beat the teams like Burnley and West Ham who are very organised and tight at the back. When a team has ten men they tighten up and sit deep and being organised is probably a massive focus.

It is something Smith needs to learn or find that coach to work alongside him. Ferguson always needed that help and at times when they lost certain coaches their form dipped temporarily.

Thats why i thought our win against brighton was so impressive  because they were very organised and tight at the back. 

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #482 on: December 01, 2021, 08:41:43 AM »
They’re already calling for his head on the Norwich forums.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #483 on: December 01, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
Fake news

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #484 on: January 08, 2022, 11:30:13 AM »
Good luck to Deano Norwich v Charlton today.
I miss him alot. And I'm happy I can see him still in the prem and involved in football. So I took hard when he left. It felt like grief. Harder than when JG left because Dean to me is a pefect role model.
And I watch and listen fondly to Deans interviews.
Deano been talking about reflection, context and perspective.
And I smile.  His philosophical outlook is refreshing and he remains authentic.
Dean man on principle speaking as Norwich boss:
“I am a bit of a traditionalist; I like the FA Cup  “These players are only given three opportunities to win something in a season – the EFL Cup, the FA Cup and the Premier League. It is very unlikely for us to be challenging for the Premier League title so why not go all out and try and do well in the FA Cup? We are looking forward to the game and the challenge.”

I hope one day he comes back to coach us again!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #485 on: January 08, 2022, 11:58:05 AM »
Good luck to Deano Norwich v Charlton today.
I miss him alot. And I'm happy I can see him still in the prem and involved in football. So I took hard when he left. It felt like grief. Harder than when JG left because Dean to me is a pefect role model.
And I watch and listen fondly to Deans interviews.
Deano been talking about reflection, context and perspective.
And I smile.  His philosophical outlook is refreshing and he remains authentic.
Dean man on principle speaking as Norwich boss:
“I am a bit of a traditionalist; I like the FA Cup  “These players are only given three opportunities to win something in a season – the EFL Cup, the FA Cup and the Premier League. It is very unlikely for us to be challenging for the Premier League title so why not go all out and try and do well in the FA Cup? We are looking forward to the game and the challenge.”

I hope one day he comes back to coach us again!

Smith talks utter bollocks then, he never once set Villa up for a decent crack at the FA Cup.

Jan 19:  3-0 home humiliation by Swansea after he picked a dog's arse of a team
Jan 20: 2-1 Away defeat to Championship Fulham, after he picked a dog's arse of a team

The chances of Smith ever coaching at Villa again are precisely nil.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #486 on: January 08, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »
If Smith coaches us again, it will have all gone badly wrong.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #487 on: January 08, 2022, 02:02:30 PM »
It will have for sure. The current owners to their credit gave him a chance but their sights of success require a bigger profile of manager.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #488 on: January 08, 2022, 02:08:59 PM »
No need for this (apart from Footy's contribution). He took us from lower mid-table in the Championship to mid-table in the PL in one season. Give the man the respect he deserves.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #489 on: January 08, 2022, 02:09:49 PM »
No need for this (apart from Footy's contribution). He took us from lower mid-table in the Championship to mid-table in the PL in one season. Give the man the respect he deserves.

Agree.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #490 on: January 08, 2022, 02:19:14 PM »

I agree, but I hope we have moved onto better managers. It’s the same with players, Hourihane loved it at Villa and did a decent job, but we have onto better players, same with managers. Thanks for everything but…….

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #491 on: January 08, 2022, 02:21:10 PM »

yep

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #492 on: January 08, 2022, 02:28:01 PM »
I reluctantly accept that in order to attract players such as the one we signed yesterday, a high profile "name" manager is a necessity but part of me wishes that it wasn't the case and that we still had Smith in charge and we were progressing under him.

It's not the case but I find it pretty unpleasant that some would now disparage his achievements with us, and indeed in his career, look back with disdain or baulk at him ever coming back. I don't think he will ever manage us again but I'd be happy to see him in any other roll back at the club.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #493 on: January 08, 2022, 02:32:07 PM »
Dean deserves nothing but respect. This is an 'appreciation thread. However, it is also a 'reflection' thread. I don't see why you have a problem with people reflecting upon Dean's shortcomings in a respectful manner.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #494 on: January 08, 2022, 02:33:28 PM »

I agree, but I hope we have moved onto better managers. It’s the same with players, Hourihane loved it at Villa and did a decent job, but we have onto better players, same with managers. Thanks for everything but…….

Sensible words.
We wouldn't be where we are now (13th in the pl) without Smith's contribution in getting us promoted, keeping us in the pl and reaching 11th with a cup final appearance thrown in for good measure. It will be up to our current manager and future managers to better Smith's achievements (a cup final win would be nice at some point!).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal