collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fireworks and knives  (Read 13553 times)

Offline Sister of Top Cat

• GM : 25.01.2025
Re: Fireworks and knives
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2021, 12:57:42 PM »
I felt quite vulnerable on Saturday waiting an hour for a taxi with TC in her wheelchair

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »
I'm assuming Rinder and Alaap are the same account creator and someone who has also posted on here before?

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2021, 01:13:53 PM »
I felt quite vulnerable on Saturday waiting an hour for a taxi with TC in her wheelchair

Was it a pre-booked taxi who didn't turn up? What is the possibility of waiting in the stand areas as most alert of arrivals on Apps / SMS messages?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2021, 01:27:24 PM »

Was it a pre-booked taxi who didn't turn up? What is the possibility of waiting in the stand areas as most alert of arrivals on Apps / SMS messages?

Or maybe the Trinity Road reception area.  You'd like to think that security would still be on the door there for the corporates who'd still be inside.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2021, 01:28:29 PM »

Which should clearly not be the case SOTC.

The environment around Villa Park just on a purely logistic basis is, on reflection, a nightmare. The Trinity Road gets so busy and gridlocked at full time because of taxi's and pavements not being wide enough to cope with the volume of human traffic. The Ground is in the middle of a sizeable residential area with limited car parking ( even for the residents), and although the Motorway system is close it is a perilous 'shut your eyes and go for it' exercise to get onto the A38 off the slip road.

I believe a 'loop' system for buses and taxis could be built and 'safe zones' policed and CCTV'd could be made available for vulnerable supporters without too much expense or inconvenience. Potentially coincide this work with the redevelopment of the North Stand.

In the meantime SOTC if ever feeling the same as you did on Saturday then a request for company I doubt would be ignored, I still maintain that the majority of people ( and especially Villa supporters) have good hearts and have a willingness to help.     

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2021, 01:55:20 PM »
I'm assuming Rinder and Alaap are the same account creator and someone who has also posted on here before?

Yes.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2021, 01:59:36 PM »

The environment around Villa Park just on a purely logistic basis is, on reflection, a nightmare. The Trinity Road gets so busy and gridlocked at full time because of taxi's and pavements not being wide enough to cope with the volume of human traffic. The Ground is in the middle of a sizeable residential area with limited car parking ( even for the residents), and although the Motorway system is close it is a perilous 'shut your eyes and go for it' exercise to get onto the A38 off the slip road.

I believe a 'loop' system for buses and taxis could be built and 'safe zones' policed and CCTV'd could be made available for vulnerable supporters without too much expense or inconvenience. Potentially coincide this work with the redevelopment of the North Stand.

In the meantime SOTC if ever feeling the same as you did on Saturday then a request for company I doubt would be ignored, I still maintain that the majority of people ( and especially Villa supporters) have good hearts and have a willingness to help.     

I can't think of many Premier League grounds that are worse to get away from than Villa Park to be honest.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2021, 02:15:49 PM »

I can't think of many Premier League grounds that are worse to get away from than Villa Park to be honest.

Christ!  You've not been to the new Spurs stadium then!

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2021, 02:18:36 PM »
I was hoping that Fireworks and Knives was the latest offering from African Car Reverser, giving the Guy Fawkes nod to the Junior Murvin Classic only to find its the home of Grindr Freddy and the Dreamers.*

*one for the teenagers

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2021, 02:27:13 PM »

I have, and it's one of few that could counter Risso's claim.

I drove up to Old Trafford the other week, with 75,0000 there and we were away in no time. Saturday was horrendous, I ended up going to Saltley gate and up the Washwood Heath Rd, took about 40 minutes just to get to Ward End Park.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2021, 02:52:05 PM »

I've never fully understood why they stopped the one-way system they implemented after games. You could get away pretty swiftly, nowadays it's just a nightmare.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2021, 03:50:12 PM »

I have, our first game back. I wouldn't say it's worse than Villa, as they've specifically designed it not for car drivers. A 10/15 minute walk to the tube station and you're on the excellent London Underground, which is about the same amount as time as getting to Aston/Witton stations, which are horrendous. Driving away from Villa Park is one of the most frustrating activities you can take part in, almost as bad as watching the team itself! ;)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2021, 03:55:53 PM »
Spurs is fine for public transport. A tube station and 2 much closer overground stations all carrying fans back into central London. I think even Palace is easier to get away from after the game than Villa Park. On public transport, at least

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2021, 04:04:30 PM »
Worst experience was Stamford Bridge, years ago when it was a corrugated heap of s**t. All my own fault as I drove there from where I was living at the time in Barnet and completely forgot after the game where I had parked the damned thing. Three hours of trudging all around Chelsea and Fulham, being mugged on one of the bridges across the Thames, eventually found it with a parking ticket on it. I was so depressed (although we won, Ray Houghton scored and I met Wolfie for the first time), I took myself off to the nearest boozer and with marvellous serendipity the juke box was hammering out Elvis Costello's most appropriate song.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2021, 04:28:01 PM »
Remembering African Car Reverser with fondness.

loved their Peel Session.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal