collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa vs Wolves - Post debacle thread  (Read 22103 times)

Offline Uknowthescore

Re: Villa vs Wolves - Post debacle thread
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2021, 12:44:26 AM »
I feel sorry for konsa stiuck with them clowns in defence. Poor old kortney house has a blinder against Man U, ok not the best against Tottenham but so was all the other defenders, gets dropped so he can’t play against his former club, id be fuming

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2021, 02:13:17 AM »
wolves didn't even throw the kitchen sink at Villa at 2-0 or 2-1. they didn't step it up at all,  the three goals came out of nothing.

One thing I noticed at 2-2 the ball went out of play by the dug out the ball was bouncing around the steps the fans couldn't get it under control to give it back. Smith just stood there, I would have thought he would be encouraging them to get it so we could go for the win. I guess if you've just blown a 2 goal cushion he was thinking I'll take the point now.

Ramsey had two great bursts when he came on. Both times he was totally isolated with 3 or 4 orange shirts surrounding him. think he got a shot off or won a corner which was great work considering the lack of short ball option. The holte were singing his name. 5 mins later we all knew what was coming when he made that clumsy tackle.
I'm not sure what to make of Ramsey. Is he a defensive mid or attacking? His main attribute just seems to be running. The rest, passing ok shooting ok, etc. I think he wants to be a dribbler like you know who but they give him  instructions to be  box to box,

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #182 on: October 17, 2021, 02:52:01 AM »
What is it with this passing across the back three for about 40 passes before it's launched up the touchline to nobody. Top coaching that..

Yeah, it drives me mental.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #183 on: October 17, 2021, 04:13:09 AM »
Shower of shite.

Watkins and Tuanzebe were wastes of shirts today.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #184 on: October 17, 2021, 08:40:51 AM »
Similar collapses in recent years: Home against Leeds 2-3 in Dec 2018 (Roofe winner 95th minute). Home against Liverpool 1-2 in Nov 2019 (Mane winner 94th minute). Typical sitting back instead of attacking, just like yesterday.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »
Similar collapses in recent years: Home against Leeds 2-3 in Dec 2018 (Roofe winner 95th minute). Home against Liverpool 1-2 in Nov 2019 (Mane winner 94th minute). Typical sitting back instead of attacking, just like yesterday.

Burnley 3 - Villa 2, Palace 3 - Villa 2 as well. Not last minute like yesterday, but still games we threw away.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #186 on: October 17, 2021, 08:49:45 AM »
What really annoyed me was that we could easily have been 3 or 4 up before Wolves scored. They gave us the ball so many times and we either gave it straight back to them or we ran ourselves into dead ends. Then they scored and our complete collapse seemed inevitable from that point. Very very bad day yesterday. Looking at the game in isolation, it exposed Smith’s weaknesses and limitations as a manager and I think it is acceptable to question his style without calling for his head.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #187 on: October 17, 2021, 08:50:46 AM »
How we managed to do that from a position of comfort with 10 mins to go I'll never understand as long as I've got a hole in my rear, its a good job a poor Tatters side didn't come out of their half for 80 mins, if they'd have done it earlier it might have been a cricket score. I did look at the clock on 78/79 and just had a nagging doubt we'd concede one from a set piece and then be under the cosh.

I dont attach a lot of blame to DS, he picked an adventurous side who played pretty well, not brilliantly but pretty well and were superior in every position. Maybe too adventurous as Buendia and Ings left us a little open without the ball. If there was a catalyst to the cave in it was maybe Mings booking, he seemed to loose his cool a bit after that hacking a few clearances and the panic spread, it was like watching a run on a bank for the last period. If you defend like we did in the last 10 we are going to get punished whoever we play.

Thought McGinn and Targett were very good, interesting to see Buendia but I wasn't that impressed, a little too lightweight and careless with the ball on too many occassions as well as not offering enough defensively. Great pass for Ings 1-on-1 mind. Olly and Ings out of sorts with the latters header from the corner a terrible miss that would have really mattered.

On the bright side, if there is one, I wouldn't take a single one of Wolves starting line up and we'll defend better next time out, it cant be worse. On the down side I guess those snow-washed backwards tramps will think they have a rivalry with us again now.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2021, 09:04:14 AM »

Burnley 3 - Villa 2, Palace 3 - Villa 2 as well. Not last minute like yesterday, but still games we threw away.

Against dross too. I can accept a defeat away at Chelsea with a good performance. Even being beat away at Spurs, as the likes of Son are top class and sadly they're not as awful as we'd all really hope they are.

Collapsing, under absolutely zero pressure, as we did yesterday in such short order is a serious alarm bell. Equally the abysmal display at Watford; 2 defeats to rank opposition, yes it can happen but all too frequently.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2021, 09:04:58 AM »
For me this is on the players not the manager.
People criticising the formation but we were 2-0 up and cruising.
Substitutiions : Luis off for Nakamba - plenty of times on here Smith been caned for leaving tired players on the pitch.
Buendia for Ramsey - aim was to shore it up at 2-0. If he hadn't done this people would have asked why he didnt. Personally I'd have left Buendia on but this sub isn't why the defence fell apart in the last 10 minutes.
Cash off - he was injured. Yes he could have put Hause on but plenty of comments after the last game he played that he should never play again at this level. Major revisionism at work.
We had enough warnings when we tried to play out from our own box and gave the ball away. Piss poor defending from the set pieces cost us - thats not a management issue, thats the players - including one England international and one who many people think should be.
Ramsey fouling Traore on the edge of the box at the end was blind panic - but the foul should have been made 20 yards further back, by players that should have known to do that.
For me this is on the players and they need to take a long look at themselves.
Yes. Several players had a poor game; Buendia, Luiz, McGinn and Targett (as a defensive resource) played very well. Ings generally did well with the little ball he got.
The 3-5-2 worked well for 3/4 of the game. However, with Luiz tiring and Wolves bringing on more offensive subs at 2-0, the 3-5-2 should really have melted into a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1. To do that  - as I said at the game - Watkin should have come off (he had such a poor game; his decision-making was really not good), along with Tuanzebe (whose passing out of defence was woeful).
Bring on a couple of midfielders and make the team tighter without losing the ability to break into attack; we'd have seen the game out.
Smith was out-managed by Lage who - bringing on Podence - took the initiative.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2021, 09:14:17 AM »
Smith was out-managed by Lage who - bringing on Podence - took the initiative.

Hmmm, they didnt venture out of their half for almost the entirity of the game, then threw every attacker they had on the field when 2.0 down with 10 mins to go, then were desperately trying to get some of them into some kind of defensive shape when it was 2-2. DS is understandably getting some stick but that was no masterclass from them, just a lump it in the box and pick up the pieces. It worked but lets not make a dull unadventurous Wolves side into anything they are not.

They got very lucky and we melted.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2021, 09:14:28 AM »
The decision to persist with Tuanzebe, despite him being Wolves most creative outlet from open play.

The decision to persist with Mings, despite him being atrocious at Spurs and equally as dead between the ears today. I feel for Hause.

The decision to make a sub before a corner, given our spectacularly ameutrish defending at the 2nd phase from a set piece 5 minutes before.

The decision to persist with a stifling 532 at home to rank mid table garbage.

I hoped for flexibility depending on opposition, but it seems like Dean is digging his heals in with the same formation every week, makes no sense. From the little we have seen, a fit Bailey has to start which immediately undermines the current formation.
I dont understand thr inflexibility.

But we don't have a fit Bailey....

But we will do, and it will then be even more stifling to any creativity to maintain this current formation. I can see the worth of changing things up for certain challenges, so 352 away at man u, gave us a threat but also more defenders when they were on the attack. But even our probable best performance of the season against Everton, if we’re honest, we didnt really create very much at all until the introduction of Bailey.
I said this last night that i had the hope that we were seeing a period when we changed tactics and formations depending on who were playing. In just seems now, this system is purely to accommodate Ings and Watkins in the same team. Re think needed before Friday night at Arsenal.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2021, 09:21:54 AM »
I was gutted leaving Villa Park I thought at 2-0 with twenty minutes left we had it in the bag but little did I know we implode.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #193 on: October 17, 2021, 09:27:22 AM »
I think yesterday was one of those freak things that happens sometimes. In all honesty I don't really know how it happened. The hope is that it doesn't affect confidence too much going forward.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #194 on: October 17, 2021, 09:29:29 AM »
I think yesterday was one of those freak things that happens sometimes. In all honesty I don't really know how it happened. The hope is that it doesn't affect confidence too much going forward.
The players were remonstrating each other after the first, then it got worse after the second and they were on the canvas at the final whistle.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal