collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa vs Wolves - Post debacle thread  (Read 22274 times)

Offline walsall villain

Re: Villa vs Wolves - Post debacle thread
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2021, 09:49:10 PM »
Losing like that is so hard to take. I thought we were made of sterner stuff. All I hope is that when our wide players are fit we drop the 3-5-2 and play either Ings or Watkins not both. That last 15 minutes is going to be hard to forget.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2021, 09:52:09 PM »
The decision to persist with Tuanzebe, despite him being Wolves most creative outlet from open play.

The decision to persist with Mings, despite him being atrocious at Spurs and equally as dead between the ears today. I feel for Hause.

The decision to make a sub before a corner, given our spectacularly ameutrish defending at the 2nd phase from a set piece 5 minutes before.

The decision to persist with a stifling 532 at home to rank mid table garbage.

I think the formation is a big problem. It works ok when we’re expecting to have our backs against the wall, but at home that should be very rare. Against the likes of Wolves it’s a weak approach and invites pressure. We should be looking to dominate these type of games.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2021, 09:54:22 PM »
Losing like that is so hard to take. I thought we were made of sterner stuff. All I hope is that when our wide players are fit we drop the 3-5-2 and play either Ings or Watkins not both. That last 15 minutes is going to be hard to forget.

We are made of sterner stuff 49 times out of 50. Shit happens. It’s not as if it happens every fortnight like under Lambert.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »
Why bring on Young and not Hause? Why not sub Watkins for Archer?

Offline Legion

« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2021, 09:56:08 PM »
Ings and Watkins is just not working. Play one or the other.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2021, 09:57:04 PM »
Nakamba had nothing to do with the loss, rather Ashley Young for Cash was a diabolical decision. The one player I will pick out for criticism is Mings, he has been very poor the last few games and his second half performance was rubbish, he is the Captain and supposed to be the leader on the pitch but we see him taking wild hacks at the ball total lack of composure. Credit To JM and Buendia for their quality. Once we went two up the performance dropped off, Wolves had no option but to attack and we turned to water. Once they scored it was predictable they would get another, we gave up. As for Dean Smith, it's no use blaming the players you are the boss, you pick the team and make the subs and for sure every change you made weakened the side, from 2-0 up we should have been able to hold them comfortably and move up the table but yet again we managed to be what has been so typical of Villa sides through the last couple of years grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Offline Legion

« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2021, 10:00:15 PM »
I believe Cash was injured so replacing him was the correct decision. Just not with Young.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2021, 10:15:54 PM »
For me the issue is, other than the second half against Everton and against United we haven’t really played well for an extended period yet this season

Was always likely to be this way post Grealish. But after winning at Old Trafford, it's very disappointing to lose back to back against two very average teams.

Offline vilan461

« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2021, 10:28:01 PM »
The decision to persist with Tuanzebe, despite him being Wolves most creative outlet from open play.

The decision to persist with Mings, despite him being atrocious at Spurs and equally as dead between the ears today. I feel for Hause.

The decision to make a sub before a corner, given our spectacularly ameutrish defending at the 2nd phase from a set piece 5 minutes before.

Fully agree---Tuanzebe was their best player first half---Mings head completely went awol after his booking, 3 goals conceded from set pieces just aint good enough even more so with 3 CB,s trying to defend--it didnt work the system needs changing,--i just knew after their first that a defeat was on the cards the players body language was simply awful ,

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2021, 10:33:49 PM »
Decided to watch this despite the midnight KO. Absolutely pathetic at the end, no other word for it, real rabbits in headlights stuff and a horrific result for DS. It’s on the lot of them, senior players and management.

Really think Smith will start to feel some heat after this, just feels like a season defining moment but I hope I’m wrong. Just pissed all that hard work at Old Trafford away.

Not a great watch when you’re an anxiety sufferer. Try sleeping after that.

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2021, 10:57:51 PM »
Mings in the fh gave away a corner when he could of given away a throw in due to dwelling on ball , it carried on most of the game. He instilled no confidence in me watching so no wonder the rest of them fell apart.

The 2 man attack isn't working  as Ing's and Watkins have zero link up play but also as we persist on early long balls down the line that if neither striker gets to the ball just comes back to us into a mf lacking a man as we have 2 up top.Traore and Son are 2 good dribblers with the ball but in the last 2 games we have simply been unable to handle them at all ,which considering we have 5 defenders on the pitch is even more worrying !

The Prodence came on also got at dribbling and we couldn't handle him !!

In the end the 3-5-2 hinder us as the back 5 where all over the place ,the top 2 had no service as the MF was being overun due to lack of numbers.The subs ,well Doug was tired as was Emi in seemed to we had to take them off neither did well.Marv as happens was given no time on ball and Ramsey when he got on ball was wasteful and the foul for the winner was piss poor brought about as the whole team had lost its composure.

Goals conceded is a worry and the improved defence we saw last year is starting to resemble the first year back , perhaps we are feeling the effects of Terrys departure from that area of the coaching team .

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2021, 11:04:56 PM »
Nakamba being made the sacrificial lamb as always. Normally plays well for us when he starts.

Not at Watford he didn't.

In fairness he's usually not that bad coming on to see out a lead, did well a few times last season so it was a logical sub given there was no way Luiz was playing 90 minutes today.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2021, 11:11:29 PM »

I think the formation is a big problem. It works ok when we’re expecting to have our backs against the wall, but at home that should be very rare. Against the likes of Wolves it’s a weak approach and invites pressure. We should be looking to dominate these type of games.

In fairness though bar the mad Adama run Wolves barely had a shot for first 70 minutes so not like they were cutting through us at will.

We defended a couple of set pieces appallingly and that can happen with any formation. Less chance of that happening through with Hause on the pitch though imo.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2021, 11:39:13 PM »
I was at the game today (I don’t get to go as often as most). Had Wolves turned up and battered us I would be righty concerned, but Emi hardly had to make a save until the last ten mins, yes it was a shite 10 mins, but the formation and subs by Dean weren’t to blame for that.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2021, 11:54:53 PM »
What this result does to our already fragile confidence I’ve yet see, but other teams will take notice of our ability to coincide 3 in the last 15 mins. I like Tyrone Mings, but that utterly pointless booking left him vulnerable and he must take the blame for that.  Watkins has stopped closing down effectively, two positives for me EMI starting to look like the player we thought we were buying and it wasn’t against the blues. UTV

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal